Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: Redneck mulcher

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 95
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

April 8, 2007
8:23 AM

Post #3367835

I have just completed the construction of my gas powered mulcher. The soil, or lack there of, here in West Bay, Cayman Islands, is more like concrete than soil. I have an abundance of yard waste from all of the ficus, hibiscus, bamboo, etc. I figured the best way to improve my soil is with compost/mulch.

I installed a lawn mower engine and blade on top of a 55 gallon drum that I cut down to approximately 20 inches tall. I then installed a chute for the debris to be dropped in. Instead of sucking the clippings, leaves, weeds, and such into the barrel, it blows it back out, just like the exhaust chute on the typical lawn mower. Realising that a lawn mower cuts grass from the bottom of the blade, I need to change the pitch of my blade and sharpen the edge so it cuts from the top. Has anyone experimented with this? In theory it should work famously, but an out of balance blade could be disasterous!!!

Thumbnail by caribblue
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2007
8:41 AM

Post #3367860

Have done it modifying an old lawn mower. similar arrangementexcept feed shute on the side so that works more are less like a regular lawn mower. Put 1/2 inch mesh in the discharge to to get the right size. Works well for leaves.
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

April 8, 2007
9:00 AM

Post #3367894

Thanks for that info...I will install a feed chute on the side and change the direction of the exhaust so it wont blow up but down into the pile for compost. thanks again for the reply. Enjoy the day!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America