Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Roses: White fly

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 21, Views: 166
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2007
3:19 PM

Post #3372200

One of the roses I rooted from my sister's yard has white fly. I've never had this before. What do I do? I know it didn't come from her yard this way cuz I brought it all the way back from Calif and it's been almost a year and I'm just now finding them. They were in my greenhouse over the winter and when I brought them out, that's when the little buggers made their appearance.

Gwen
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2007
3:39 PM

Post #3372264

Are you sure it's white fly and not the white casting from aphids?
Either way, spray the rose down with a little soapy water every other day and eventually you will dislodge and kill all the invaders.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2007
4:46 PM

Post #3372507

there is a white fly called greenhouse white fly and that is his specialty-living in the greenhouse. yuck, i hate them.
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2007
2:01 PM

Post #3375966

Dovey, I'm not sure. Maybe it is. When you shake the plant, the little bugs go flying off.

Tracks, I didn't know about that critter. He'll be sad now cuz all my plants are out of the greenhouse! Oh, except for the roses that has grown in thru the ceiling but that's going to be gone soon too! It hasn't bloomed in the 3 years we've lived here so it's outa there and I have some new ones coming (went a little nuts on the recent rose co-ops) to replace it.

Gwen

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2007
2:17 PM

Post #3376052

if they fly, it's whitefly and keep a really close eye on your garden plants. once you have them, it's very hard to totally get rid of them. usually you have to do an oil spray which you don't want to do this time of year if you can help it.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2007
2:29 PM

Post #3376106

Yikes, if they fly it ain't a casting.
I think you should investigate your green house, those little guys are tough to get rid of and really can suck the life out of a plant.
If your green house id void of plants right now maybe you can bomb it or something.

SherryLike
SE Arky
United States
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2007
2:51 PM

Post #3376206

I had whitefly earlier this season, brought here on some mini roses that had been in a GH all winter. I used Rose Pharm and it defoliated the minis but did not defoliate the regular roses and seemed to work on the whitefly. But, I got more, not too many and I used Sevin dust around the base of the plants, and got a Spritzer to spray under the leafs. In addition, I sprayed the fool outta them with a strong water hose. Something got them all but I'm not positive what actually did the trick. Next year, I will get a head start on that kinda stuff and Sevin will be my 'drug' of choice, after giving them a good soapy washing. Good luck and please tell us what works for you. I'm a newbie and feeling my way as I go...
torachan
Aurora, CO

May 23, 2007
9:21 PM

Post #3528397

Dear Gwendalou,
A few years ago my garden was infested with white fly after I overwintered one of my mother's plants. After a lot of trial and error, the best product I found was EcoErase. It is made of jojoba oil and really gets rid of them. I tried a lot of other things but they kept coming back and infested everything within a half acre. Eco-Erase is also good for powdery mildew. It is however tough to find so just search the web.
I hope this helps.
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2007
4:19 PM

Post #3531004

Is EcoErase organic? It sounds like it might be. Squirting them a few times with soapy water seems to have gotten rid of them, but I'll keep this in mind for future use. I used to get powdery mildew on my roses in Calif but I don't think I've gotten it here. I do get blackspot rather badly but that's because I'm lazy and careless about taking care of it.

Gwen

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2007
5:03 PM

Post #3531196

it has a caution label but i haven't investigated further.
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2007
11:22 PM

Post #3532383

Sherry,
Sevin dust is a broad spectrum chemical and it kills everything but most importantedly, it will kill bees..please be careful using it...

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2007
1:40 AM

Post #3532810

what melva said. using a pest specific pesticide is a kinder, gentler way.
SherryLike
SE Arky
United States
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2007
4:36 PM

Post #3534641

Unless something better comes along, I'll continue to use occasional Sevin. The Spritzer allows the smallest amount, at the floor of the plant. Rose Pharm is taking care of the leafs on the plants.

Melva, do you, and track, have bees??? I have an unusually large number of bees, with 4 bee boxes on our property. We were unable to use our shed for three years, until we enlisted the services of a bee man, from Houston, in this photo, suiting up to tackle removal of the bee hive:

Thumbnail by SherryLike
Click the image for an enlarged view.

SherryLike
SE Arky
United States
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2007
4:39 PM

Post #3534651

There were so many bees in the shed that we were afraid the bee man and all of us would have to jump in the cement pond, but, fortunately the bee man is a pro and really knew what he was doing:

Thumbnail by SherryLike

SherryLike
SE Arky
United States
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2007
4:47 PM

Post #3534694

We are told that our hive was the largest they have ever removed and he's been in the business for many years. Our honey is of the highest quality, which is why the four boxes are on our property. We do not tend them but receive honey frequently. It is crepe myrtle honey and the bee man says it is by far his most popular. My Natchez crepes are already blooming and the bees are so loud that if you don't know they are there, it sounds sorta like something from X-Files. They are very happy, plentiful, healthy bees. This is the bee man in one of the many trips he made carrying the bees and the honey combs away from the store house:

Thumbnail by SherryLike

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2007
5:22 PM

Post #3534836

i'm glad you have such great bees. bees are having a major problem now, so many dying. mine have been unaffected by whatever it is that's killing them. i have lots and love them all. our area is also known for superb honey and there are lots of beekeepers here.
SherryLike
SE Arky
United States
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2007
7:35 PM

Post #3535212

Bees are transported up to 3,000 miles (that I know of) to pollinate, no wonder they are scarce and dying, I can only imagine the stress. Our bees are very friendly/tame and about the only stings we receive are accidental; however, if they are tampered with, they will swarm & defend their hive. Our bees have been recorded in this neighborhood for over 100 years and our original hive was the only one in our area, most had been burned out by persons whose property was invaded, such as our store house. Previously, I had the same situation in my barn and the garage, but our hearts were with the bees, which is why we waited 3 years for the bee keeper. Thus far, we have not had 'killer' bees in our area, I dread the thought - I'm so old that I can remember when we didn't have fire ants, whew!
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2007
8:54 PM

Post #3535533

I have bees in my yard..in the spring when the fruit trees are blooming, they are all over the yard..fortunately we haven't had to remove any hives, and I would be scared to have so many it sounded like the X-Files outside!
Sounds like you are careful with the use of the Sevin...so many people are not...
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2007
10:03 PM

Post #3535769

Hibiscus growers are using worm castings to repel white flies and I can personally speak to how effective they are. I top dress my hibiscus pots and I have not had a white fly in years. I have also tried them on gardenias and H. mutabilis (Confederate Rose) in the ground and truly, the white flies are gone, gone gone. I can't help but believe it would work as well on roses and it cannot harm the environment or us.

Incidentally, out of 2 dozen hibiscus I only found one with aphids. Maybe, just maybe the worms castings work for aphids too.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2007
10:05 PM

Post #3535774

crossing fingers!
SherryLike
SE Arky
United States
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2007
1:53 AM

Post #3536593

I'm whispering, really whispering, but I've not had aphids and only very few whitefly, but can you say snails/slugs, mildew, mites, cats - although this year, thus far, has been pretty pest free which is scary, no telling what is on the way...
SherryLike
SE Arky
United States
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2007
8:59 PM

Post #3542256

While chatting about bees, I checked my photos and found one of my unknown brug, and a 'tipsy bee' that was too laden with honey to fly, we were afraid he would need a ride home to the hive. The bees absolutely love the brugs, the more fragrant the better, but their fav is the crepe myrtles, could be because the shortest are about 15 feet tall...

Thumbnail by SherryLike

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America