AuthorContent
mliga
Kingwood, WV
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2007
6:40 PM

Post #3372907

Hi all,

I am in zone 5b and my everbearing strawberries just came in the mail today. Since we have had this cold snap it is too cold to plant them right away (tonight it is getting down to 21). So if I mist the plants every few days and keep them in a cool, dark spot will they be ok?

Michelle in WV
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2007
6:43 PM

Post #3372917

Are they bareroot or are they planted in pots with soil right now? If they're in soil then they'll be fine for a bit, but if they're bareroot I would get them planted into pots for now, then transplant them outdoors after your last frost date.
mliga
Kingwood, WV
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2007
6:46 PM

Post #3372923

They are bareroot and and I have about 75 of them. It would be impossible for me to plant all of them in pots.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2007
6:51 PM

Post #3372938

Bareroot plants should be dormant, cool moist place, even the refrigerator should be good for several days. As soon as the ground is workable, set them out, Frost doesn't hurt dormant plants.
undercover_owl
Oregon City, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2007
2:39 AM

Post #3374321

My advice is to not plant them right away. Keep them tucked away in cool (not cold) storage, like the garage or refrigerator. And make sure the roots are moist.
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2007
3:05 AM

Post #3374328

mliga...I got 75 Ozark beauties in the mail today, too! I can't plant mine out yet and I can't really pot them up right now. I guessed that keeping them moist and putting them in the frig was the best thing to do right now. I really hope so!!

Michelle
silkiechick
Reynoldsville, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2007
3:55 AM

Post #3374342

i have 10 june bearing strawberry plants, not dormant when bought and were doing great and i had the same problem so i planted them up in pots and kept them on my deep freezer where it is usually cool and misted them. yesterday i had a little green berry my first one and i was so excited.

i see today it looks as if they are all dead. i felt the freezer top and it is really cold but not as cold as my fridge is so i don't know what went wrong. there is even a blanket between the freezer and the pots. the temps have dropped at night here mabe it got to cold but i don't think because i've had amaryllis and lilies bloom so it can't be that cold in here and they were on an inside wall not near any windows or anything. i see some of the rose cutting look as if they are dieing off too. everything else is fine even the tropicals on there. what am i doing wrong do they need more heat for these ones? will the strawberries come back next year if i killed them or are they gonners i need to pitch and get new ones after it's safe?
thanks,
silkie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America