Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 40, Views: 355
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

April 10, 2007
12:25 PM

Post #3375651

By popular request:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/709366/

dave
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2007
12:28 PM

Post #3375661

Thanks Dave! This will be a most welcome forum.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

April 10, 2007
1:33 PM

Post #3375867

Cool. Now I just need some flowers to cut!
Phrago
Coldwater, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2007
2:14 PM

Post #3376031

Wow!, This subject could produce some really interesting posts. Thanks Dave!
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2007
2:42 PM

Post #3376174

Thanks, Dave!

Lana
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2007
3:56 PM

Post #3376406

Ditto, on everyone's comments. I am looking forward to all kinds of super links and photos. Merci Beaucoup!!!
Toxicodendron
Piedmont, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2007
5:32 PM

Post #3376664

Yes, thanks for this new forum.
Too bad we had so much freeze damage.
Maybe our first thread should be "Arranging dead flowers and stems"

I guess things will bounce back soon.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2007
9:02 PM

Post #3377319

Toxicodendron...
I agree! I usually have vase after vase of lovely daff's in the spring... and this year, looks like it was only two of the ealiest.. the others were ruined. Maybe a few of the very latest will come through. So disappointed. I just love my daffs.

I bought a few packs of viola's at a local greenhouse a week or so before the "freeze" and thought they would be fine. The plants look ok, but lost every flower. I enjoy using them in the tiny vases I have.

This will be a fun thread! To bad Dave changed the thumbnail previews a while back and it cuts off edges now. I noticed it a lot in our forum request... tops and edges cut off of thumbnails. I don't care for that since Dave changed it. But, have to go with the flow I suppose. It's awful over in the pets forum. Headless animals often appear in thumbnails!
Toxicodendron
Piedmont, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2007
9:21 AM

Post #3378583

Oh, is it just the preview that is cropped? Or is the finished enlarged photo cropped too?
I have been trying lately to make sure my pictures are sort of square and centered before uploading them, but it is a pain to do that since I don't want to crop my originals.

Here is my bouquet today. A 'Yellow Fringes' bloom from the greenhouse, Variegated Solomons's seal (the stems flopped over from the freeze so I salvaged them, and yew foliage with new growth (taken before the freeze, that is all black outside now).

Looks better in real life, the flash did not compliment it much.

Thumbnail by Toxicodendron
Click the image for an enlarged view.

phughes
Portland, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2007
10:25 AM

Post #3378833

Very nice display; I like the way you used the green foliage in the arrangement. That is the one thing I miss whenever I arrange flowers is greenery. I have leatherleaf fern and another type of fern that I use, but right now they are not full enough or tall enough cause I trimmed them back. Hopefully in a month or two they'll have grown enough for me to cut and use in arrangements .

Glad someone has some flowers to arrange and post.
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2007
12:26 PM

Post #3379295

Toxico..LOL on "Arranging dead flowers and stems!" Spring is such a fickle time, you think you're out of the winter woods and then Mother Natures gets another punch in for good measure before giving away to nicer weather.

What is that gigantic satin-like bloom? Lovely greens in there too.

I have mostly dahlias, but a few perennials linger and I might add more. I'm hoping you posters will share ideas on good cutting flowers, fillers and the like. Here's one of my favorites, mostly for the colors.

Thumbnail by Poochella

Toxicodendron
Piedmont, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2007
3:21 PM

Post #3379902

That's very pretty, Pooch! I love dahlia blooms, but they are a lot of trouble to grow here. The insects love them, and they have to be staked, and dug in the fall, etc.
I do have one for this year: 'Blue Bell' from Lowe's.

The satiny flower is a tropical hibiscus, and is about 9 inches across. The cultivar is 'Yellow Fringes'. It is one of the liners I got in the hibiscus coop a couple of years ago. They bloom better in the winter greenhouse for me than in the hot summertime for some reason. The flowers last 2 or 3 days in winter, and only 1 day in summer.

Soon we can start topics...any ideas? Should we do special threads for flower types, like Rose bouquets, gladiolus bouquets, etc?
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2007
10:33 AM

Post #3386254

Thank-you Dave!

Now I just need for my garden to start growing again so I can have some flowers to cut :)

Steven
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2007
12:42 PM

Post #3386674

Sometimes, I like simplicity in arrangements.

Thumbnail by Lenjo

phughes
Portland, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2007
1:38 PM

Post #3386891

VERY PRETTY!
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2007
3:26 PM

Post #3387225

thanks, toxico. I understand you have those darn Japanese Beetles and other creatures that don't bug us so much out here. It would indeed be frustrating to try to grow something being constantly chewed like that- BUT dahlias are so worth the effort.

That satiny hibiscus is a marvel- such subtle color and sheen.

Witness Lenjo's beautiful orange mass of dahlias! Lenjo, I'm going to Dmail you about your daughter's wedding; standby.
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2007
8:35 PM

Post #3388236

Just so you know , Annie, this is for a niece. She is marrying one of my son in law's nephews. My son in law was one of a large family and one of the youngest and one of his oldest brothers had this son who is marrying my niece. So my daughter who is married to him is first cousin to the bride and now will be her aunt by marriage. So I am of course the bride's niece through blood(my oldest brother's daughter) and so I told my daughter ; are we now sisters? LOL

Thanks, Phughes, a Portland in Texas too? Where is that Portland?
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2007
9:53 PM

Post #3388520

Gee joann! I'm having a time following all those blood and non-blood lines! Aunt, sister, cousin, -- all too confusing! I hope your niece has a wonderful wedding filled with flowers and just wish I had more to send down.

Phughes I hope your part of Texas wasn't hailed on today: big storm rolled through Dallas Fort Worth and I couldn't help but cringe for any plants out in the fields/gardens.
phughes
Portland, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2007
5:40 AM

Post #3389170

I am in South Texas near Corpus Christi.

No hail for us; we actually had a sunny, nice day yesterday with the exception of some high wind.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 14, 2007
6:01 PM

Post #3391358

Ok .. just went out in my yard and cut some flowers for my table and remembered this new forum. Here's my Pitcher of African Daisy's ... Osteo something or other! I need to look it up!

Thumbnail by plantladylin

phughes
Portland, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2007
6:25 PM

Post #3391459

Pretty; I love the pitcher vase too.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 14, 2007
6:27 PM

Post #3391466

Thanks phughes, I had a time where I was attracted to white and ivory colored pitchers and would buy one whenever I saw it! I have about 4 or 5 different ones left, different designs but all in that color. Have given others away over the years with flowers in them!

Lin
phughes
Portland, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2007
6:52 PM

Post #3391564

I used to have a pretty, light green pitcher that I would use; your picture reminded me of it and now I need to go look for it so I can use it for flowers. I just love pitchers for flowers especially on the dining room table.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 14, 2007
7:28 PM

Post #3391663

I do too ... I use them on the mantel of the fireplace, on the kitchen table and countertop, as well as the dining room table, and also in the bedroom on the dresser!
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 14, 2007
10:00 PM

Post #3392187

Nice arrangement, Lin, osteos already. You Floridians can grow such great stuff and for so long. I agree with you both that pitchers are wonderful vases.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 14, 2007
11:35 PM

Post #3392678

Thanks Lenjo! I love those flowers ... they have been growing and blooming non stop for two and a half years in my yard! I think they go to seed too, but the original's have never died back which really surprised me this winter because we had a couple of really cold weeks and frost at one point. I have them growing both on the East Side of the house and the West side of the house. Must be pretty hardy plants! I just bought some orange ones at Home Depot and planted them in hanging baskets a few weeks ago. I just love the daisy like flowers!

oh yes ... and I love Pitchers too!
fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2007
11:51 PM

Post #3392721

This will be a fun forum! Thanks for adding it, Dave. We've had thunder storms, hail and freezing temps so any blooms were destroyed. This is an arrangement of mostly (ah hem) purchased flowers. I bought the iris and carnations then added the few roses and a little Japanese Holly. I'm sure looking forward to everyone's cut arrangements in the next few weeks.

Debra

Thumbnail by fleursdefouquet

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 14, 2007
11:55 PM

Post #3392739

Very Beautiful Debra! Love those colors! And, I love buying store bought flowers too ... especially when I get tired of the same old ones in my own garden! Great arrangement!

Lin
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2007
12:24 AM

Post #3392806

Very pretty Lin and Debra. I love pitchers for vases: wider top so you can get more stems inside. Those osteospurmum are lovely as is the iris et al arrangement. Love the Japanese Holly: so shiny and not prickly looking like our native holly.

My husband brought me two bunches of mixed flowers for Easter and a pizza LOL! Not a lily mind you- just the usual big grocer's bouquets. That was Easter and they are still looking fairly robust, but no time to photograph this weekend. It's so nice to get some bloom in the house after a long soggy winter!

Glad to hear the worst of the storm missed you in TX phughes.
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2007
1:27 AM

Post #3392905

I love the African/Cape daisy's I think they are osteospumen or something of the sort :~) I could be completely wrong on that. I had them in an annual planter last year. They quit blooming for me though and never could get them to start back up.

Lana
fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2007
10:24 AM

Post #3393608

Flowers and a pizza! That's my kind of man!!!! LOL!

I'm planting more perennials for two reasons - they come back every year and they provide blooms for indoor arrangements. I'm partial to the old fashioned types such as iris, day lilies, hydrangeas, peonies and roses. I'll be back in a couple of years with some beautiful bouquets! LOL!

Debra
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2007
10:55 AM

Post #3393737

Osteospermum hybrid! I had to go look it up! I knew it was Osteo something or other! :) It is one of my favorites ... I wish I had gotten more colors. I think I remember seeing somewhere that they are hardy to Zone 9 and higher and will survive temp's to 25F. Well, mine survived some temp's in the 30's and a light frost with no signs of damage! So, another reason to love them! I probably should cut them back some ... they are really getting leggy. It's storming and raining here right now, so maybe later this afternoon I will take a photo of them in the yard and post it!

... so Thankful for this rain we are getting! We have been so dry here, brush fires around and fire alert warnings for weeks! Could do without the Thunder/Lightning and Tornado possibilities, but we sure are in much need of this Wonderful Rainfall.
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2007
12:55 PM

Post #3394189

Lin, if you are into taking cuttings, I know from personal doing it, they propagate very easily from cuttings. I have seen that neon orange osteo and it is beautiful. I have a thing about orange anyway as you could possibly have guessed by my arrangement in a previous post. I even have painted a bathroom orange; not neon but a color called Florencia.

Nice to see you again, Debra.

:) Joann
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2007
1:17 PM

Post #3394245

Thats great to know Joann, I will try and root a few. Here's a pic of some of the Orange color I put in hanging baskets. It's VERY windy here today, so I hope the photo is in focus! I didn't preview before I'm posting it!

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2007
1:19 PM

Post #3394253

Here's a different basket ... I'm holding this one with one hand from blowing in the wind, while taking the pic! Not a bright dark Orange, but I love this color! I will have to cut some of this color for an arrangement one of these days!

Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2007
1:37 PM

Post #3394313

Thanks, Lin, yep ,so pretty and we are at least 1 to 2 months from baskets outside. I am now seeing all the various premium annuals for sale and anxious to make up some pots. My niece is getting married in late August and her color is lavender and so that is my focal color for this summer.

I especially like the osteos that have the quill looking petals.
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2007
2:14 PM

Post #3394404

I do too, Lenjo and had some of those last summer, too.

Lana
fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2007
2:19 PM

Post #3394418

You too, Joann!

Pretty hanging baskets. I never have much luck - they get too much sun and dry out.

Debra
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2007
3:12 PM

Post #3394544

They do dry out quickly, I have to water these things three times a week in the summer time!
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2007
4:06 PM

Post #3394729

Oh my goodness, I water all my containers most every day. I quit doing so many but this year for Rachel I will a few more. I don't relish this job too much.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 24, 2008
2:40 PM

Post #4856945

A BIG Thankyou to all those who posted above and Dave for starting this forum a year ago!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM
Daisies for cutting largosmom 21 Jul 25, 2007 2:44 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America