Photo by Melody

Beginner Flowers: Help my hyacinths are dying!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 5, Views: 114
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kendahle
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2007
7:07 PM

Post #3376918

I bought four 4" pots at the grocery store early March some with heads. The heads have now all passed and the leaves are curling on all of the plants. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Are they supposed to do this? if So what should I do with the bulbs?

Thumbnail by Kendahle
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 10, 2007
7:48 PM

Post #3377042

I would recommend you put them outside, in bright shade, watering about once a week. They are bulbs and they are going dormant for the summer. You can plant them in the ground, they should come back next year. Keeping bulbs in containers from year to year is a challenge, you can spend alot of you time to save $3 worth of bulbs. If you time is worth $15 a hour you will probably spend 3 hrs taking care of them over the year ($45).
wildgardengirl
Gregory, MI

April 11, 2007
1:15 PM

Post #3379451

Don't worry, you aren't killing them!!!
This is normal hyacinth behavior. :) They are essentially an annual that flowers in the early early spring - those guys are just going dormant now. I wouldn't water, since they are dying back for the year watering will just make your bulbs rot. Take the bulbs out of the pot, let the foliage dry out completely and stick 'em in your flowerbed, about 5-6 inches down. Make sure you remember where you put them though, so you don't accidentally dig them up over the summer, they won't show any signs of life until next spring!
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2007
6:38 PM

Post #3391513

I'd put them in the ground straight from the pot, keeping the leaves attached. Water in lightly and let the leaves die back naturally so they provide food for the bulb over the dormant period. I suggest you make an overhead drawing of your flower bed and note where you put the bulbs and about how deep so you can work around them if you need to without damaging them when you're digging around in there later on, just like wildgardengirl said.
tracy38
Sussex, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2007
1:48 PM

Post #3398114

If the bulbs were forced they may not flower again. Being in Wisconsin, I love buying bulbs at the grocery store in Feb./March. Takes winter blues away. The bulbs I buy are always forced and don't flower again. Might be different in Texas. I hope yours come back! Good luck!
Kendahle
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2007
6:42 PM

Post #3399010

Thank you so much for all the WONDERFUL HELP!!!! I can't wait to see them next year!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America