Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Poppies: Weed or poppy? I. D. Issue

Communities > Forums > Poppies
bookmark
Forum: PoppiesReplies: 4, Views: 230
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Jax4ever
Boxford, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2007
8:52 PM

Post #3377283

Hi all,

Let me first say I started growing poppies last year and I adore them. I winter-sew seeds each year with moderate sucess. They are tough to establish!

My problem is the plant pictured below has invaded a new bed I prepared last year. I intended for it to be a bearded Iris border, but instead it was full of this plant. I didn't let any of it bloom; I took it for a weed and cut back what I could. but someone on the I. D. forum says it's Celandine (Chelidonium majus). If so, than Celandine forms a hairy, perennial, basal rosette that is looking healthy despite the freezing temps! It also seems to form aggressive underground rhizomes. I found no mention of these characteristics on the web anywhere (just pictures of the mature plant). Since Celandine is a poppy, I thought it could be IDed positively here. Thanks for your help!
-Melissa

Thumbnail by Jax4ever
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bonitin
Gent
Belgium
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2007
3:40 AM

Post #3396603

Melissa,
I'm quit sure this is a young Chelidonium majus plant!
You can test it by checking whether there comes out an orange plant sap when you break a leaf stem.

Jax4ever
Boxford, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2007
9:06 PM

Post #3399515

Why is it so invasive?
bonitin
Gent
Belgium
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2007
8:36 AM

Post #3400694

Because the conditions for it to grow must be ideal.
It is a pioneer plant that naturally occurs in light woods along rivers, and in walls. It likes nitrogen-rich alkaline soil in shadowy places.
If you don't let them self seed, they eventually will disappear.
It is easy to pull out. Personally I find it has charms in a natural garden.
Jax4ever
Boxford, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2007
1:26 PM

Post #3408555

I just had the opportunity (it has been raining BUCKETS for 4 days) to crush the stems of the above intruder. It does have an orange substance, so Chelidonium it is. Anybody want some? ;-)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Poppies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Poppy reference sources (and pictures too) balvenie 29 Oct 7, 2009 11:38 PM
Oriental poppies - seed or root stock? ghia_girl 15 Jun 22, 2010 12:12 AM
Starting to grow mrpoppy 3 Mar 6, 2007 12:46 AM
Meconopsis from seed picante 42 Oct 12, 2008 7:15 PM
7b-ers who are going to sow soon sublimaze1 7 Mar 9, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America