-
AuthorContent
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2007
9:33 AM

Post #3378639

I thought this might lead to an interesting discussion.
What do you like to use?
Do you have a collection of anything?

My daughter and I have done various events centerpieces; for example last spring we did a fund raiser dinner and the theme was western, we used various old tins like some of the old metal coffee tins or bag balm cans etc. It turned out pretty well. I remember we wanted to use old enamel ware coffee pots but we didn't have enough and they were actually too large for a table but we used a few as accents around the room.

I do have a small collection of white matte all various shapes and sizes vases. I look for bargains in these.

So I would love to hear some of your projects and what flowers you used.
My niece's wedding is in late August. I am planting lots of zinnias and I have dahlias. Would love to hear your suggestions.
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2007
11:37 AM

Post #3379114

I have collected vases and containers for many years. i used to have a kiln and bought greenware in designs I liked and glazed and fired them

I was taught to use a container that repeated the color of some of the flowers used in the arrangement, or use white or black, considered non-colors. green also works well as a color. for container.
I also have a lot of wood slab bases for container to sit on and other bases. Bases are quite important in displaying flower designs.

Donna
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2007
12:04 PM

Post #3379220

I am just always on the lookout for bargains...the best I have found are on the clearance table of Smith and Hawkins...they always have the great copper and aluminum containers left over that maybe had paperwhites in them that didn't sell. The next best place is Tuesday Mornings, a discount store...or TJ Max, etc.
I helped my cousin with a wedding last year and we used that little square clear vase you see with the clear rocks...on top we taped clear tape to create 9 openings. In each opening we placed a small white rose...we used as many as we needed depending on the size of the tables. Now I always make sure I have plenty of those available in every square size of vase possible.
Plus, I love to use big round clear bowl shaped vases to put giant heads of bomby celosia (another fantastic summer cut). The stems need to be short so that the entire top of the flowers create another round circle.
Because I love cutting flowers, i keep lots of vases I am willing to also give away...you can find them in dollar stores and all discount stores...those little sqaure vases like the one in the picture was 1.50 each.
Ignore the not so attractive dried flowers...just want you to know that I keep that size and these wonderful bigger sizes in copper that I found.
I can't hang around...wish I could and keep watching and posting, but too much to do this week...
I like your question and perhaps others knowing more than me will step up...
gail

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2007
12:50 PM

Post #3379369

found some metal ones I love (not cleaned up) while digging in the storage room for 1 and 2 gallon containers to pot up daylilies I am not ready to put in the ground today...

Thumbnail by gessiegail

Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2007
2:06 PM

Post #3379611

Yes, the dollar store is a great place for vases you are willing to give up. I love using all sorts of materials but am especially fond of my white matte ones. I only have about 10. I will try take a pix and post it. No guarantees though as saving the photos in the computer is not my cup of tea.
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2007
10:47 AM

Post #3386300

I've been collecting vases and container for the past couple years now. All shapes and sizes...although I am pickey about colour.
And like Rutholive said in her post, the container should always compliment the blooms in it, such an example would be if you put a bunch of Stargazer and Casablanca lilies in a formal white vase, it would like nice but someone might ask you where the casket is (here they're ALWAYS used for funerals) but then again if you put them in somthing like a nice colbalt blue jug which is a little less formal, it would brighten them up and show them in a whole new light!
I really do love cutting and arranging flowers, so I hope what I share is helpful :)

Steven
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2007
12:44 PM

Post #3386684

So arranging flowers and choosing the right vase and flowers together is really an art form. I certainly would say so. I guess when you come to think of it; gardening in itself is an art form too. Where to plant what is science in a sense too.
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2007
12:16 AM

Post #3388943

Yeah, you're right...it's sort of like living art.
Hehe, I guess we're all scientists, artists and gardeners rolled into one!

irishbelle
Orange County, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2007
6:31 AM

Post #3389194

What a great forum! I am also a container collector. Basically, anything that can hold water or wet floral foam has potential. My favorite at this time of year is a 14" frosted murano glass (eBay) vase (traditional anfora type shape) in a very vibrant shade of yellow with just the slightest suggestion of green in the undertone. I wait all winter to dig it out and arrange Forsythia branches with Mounthood daffodils and hosta leaves. I love using Hosta leaves in floral design and have been doing so since I was a child -- Mom was not so happy back then about my cutting her hosta leaves though :-). Don't know if I'll get to enjoy this arrangement this year since the daffodils were largely ruined by our crazy warm winter and sudden cold snap.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2007
11:34 PM

Post #3403504

One of my favorite containers to use is a short footed clear bowl just large enough to float one flower.
chapala22
Lake Chapala
Mexico
(Zone 11)

June 7, 2007
1:02 PM

Post #3586069

Hi, I'm new here, great forum! I left behind a large collection of vases when we retired, and now just starting to accummulate some - still need more. I am a gardener and love to pick from my garden to fill vases. I like to have various shapes, heights, and colors to go with different flowers.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 7, 2007
2:57 PM

Post #3586461

Welcome to DG, chapala22!
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2007
12:20 AM

Post #3588470

Welcome from here too, chapala22. What kind of vases did you leave behind?
chapala22
Lake Chapala
Mexico
(Zone 11)

June 10, 2007
1:18 AM

Post #3596575

I had a pretty large variety of glass (clear, art, colored), ceramic, Japanese, and some unusual containers (bark, baskets, etc.). Now, living within a 1/2 day's drive to a very well-known Mexican copper town, I do have a few copper vases and love them! They have the darker, not shiny, finish. We are nearly done with a big house rebuilding project, and have been living in the guest house (casita) for a year and a half, so no extra space! It will be about 2 weeks until we move in, and then I plan to go one day to a crafts town where there are a lot of hand blown glass vases and pick up a few sizes and colors. I'll have display space in the new house too, so am looking forward to making arrangements once again.
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2007
2:29 AM

Post #3596844

Sounds like a fun project, that is rebuilding a larger house. What kind of garden are you planning or is there some established plantings there already?
oceangirl
Cape Cod, MA
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2007
1:18 PM

Post #3597777

great topic, Lenjo

Welcome, Chapala. I would love to see pics of your new house and garden!

Hi Darius, I love the idea of floating a flower in a clear bowl!

I love anything from old McCoy vases, decorative tin cans with labels ( like old tomato cans) Big old tinted or plain canning jars filled with wildflowers, antique milk bottles,

I love the Arizona Iced tea botlles, some of them are so pretty- the diet green tea bottle has a pretty japanese woman on it and looks great with forced quince branches in it...

A couple of my favorites:

Thumbnail by oceangirl

Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2007
1:32 PM

Post #3597820

Those are beautiful, oceangirl. Oh, I love em, I have a couple of little green thingys that remind of those a little. I have found that shape just a bit hard to arrange in though. Do you try to make your flowers follow the shape/line of that vase?
oceangirl
Cape Cod, MA
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2007
1:49 PM

Post #3597890

I do try to shape them to the vase. lenjo. it isn't easy! I'm not always happy with the result- but it's fun to try.

Other containers I have

Thumbnail by oceangirl

Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2007
2:01 PM

Post #3597923

Wonderful collection there oceangirl, I love the fiesta looking pottery ones. the creamy color one would fit really well into my collection of matte white ones. LOL I will see if my dd will help me with a photo later today.
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2007
2:10 PM

Post #3597948

What I am looking for are "frogs" These are inserts you place in vases to help arrange flowers (if you are not using foam). I have a glass one, and as a child, I remember people using wire ones. I have also seen things that look like they have sharp needles that are placed at the bottom of vases (not really interested in these)

Does anyone know a source for these "frogs" (refers to a clasp - not the animal).
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2007
7:05 PM

Post #3598909

I know what you are talking about seandor, I have a couple, a clear one and a transparent green glass one. They are very collectible. http://www.bullworks.net/ffg/ffg.html
Might be something interesting there.
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2007
7:53 PM

Post #3599100

Can you still buy them new - I mean - just to use - not for collecting (though collecting is cool too)
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2007
9:40 PM

Post #3599432

I would imagine so maybe you just have to watch garage sales and such. I did see ebay had some listed when I googled and found the other site. Just google flower frogs and see what you can find. Until I looked at the site I linked for you I hadn't realized the elaborate looking frogs.
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2007
12:37 AM

Post #3599914

Yes apparently some are quite exquisite. I just want some that are useful :-)
oceangirl
Cape Cod, MA
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2007
10:47 AM

Post #3601142

Seandor, I've seen the wire types new, but not the glass ones. Clear glass marbles are pretty useful in the bottom of a vase if you use a lot of them.
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2007
1:33 PM

Post #3601540

Glass marbles - never thought of those. Heck, I would be happy with wire ones if I knew where to find them. Any ideas?
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2007
3:33 PM

Post #3602057

Seandor, Look at this page but scroll down and you will see where they show the clear glass frogs I think you are talking about. I don't know if you use ebay but there is some there.

http://search.ebay.com/flower-frogs_W0QQfnuZ1QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ3QQxpufuZx
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2007
5:39 PM

Post #3602503

Gee, I hate using ebay - it's so cumbersome. I just want to order them and have them. It's weird that I can't go to a local dept. store and pick some up. I may have to resort to ebay. I have a glass one with about 16 holes (never counted). But I would like several more.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2007
11:17 AM

Post #3609408

I collect earthenware pitchers and little chaep tea pots at resale shops. I pick up all big clear vases at garage sales to display my bouquets at the Farmers Market. Usually I can pick those up for 10-15 cents each so if the customer wants the vase too,no big lose.

If I have a garden or country themed party,I save my 3 lb coffee cans and spray paint them to look like splatterware.

P
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2007
2:23 PM

Post #3609956

Sounds great, bigred, I too, have picked those big clear vases up from garage sales and if they go as you say, then it ok. But we don't get them for 10 or 15 cents more like 50 or $1.00. I have used tea pots too.
Last year for a tea where I hosted a table our theme was vintage and my centerpiece was an old silver evening bag with a little bowl inside with the purse where the flowers came out of and then we draped a string of freshwater pearls around the purse with a pair of white gloves and a tube of lipstick. Really turned out cute.

In the fall we like to carve out a small pumpkin for the vase with a jar inside to hold the flowers.

Creativity is the key.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2007
3:09 PM

Post #3610120

Lenjo,
That sound so adorable. Do you have a picture?

I've done the mini pumpkin/floral arrangements too.

That has my creative juices flowing...Think I'll make a resale shop dash. I need somethings for farmers market now and for fall arrangements.

Need to get some living ivy wreaths started as soon as I can find a wholesale supplier.

P
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2007
10:52 PM

Post #3611798

So sorry no picture but you sound as though you have got the idea; most anything will work as a vase. Just let the creative energies flow.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 19, 2007
4:54 AM

Post #3753527

I used a cabbage as a container!

Thumbnail by terriculture

phughes
Portland, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2007
11:57 AM

Post #3753889

very cute!!!!
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2007
3:14 PM

Post #3754755

Is this a real cabbage?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 20, 2007
12:00 AM

Post #3756745

It is a real cabbage, I cut out a circle in the middle and a small round floral foam piece was placed in then the flowers added . It was a bit of fun! This thread is great, I love doing floral art and have
collected quite a few containers , my greenhouse is filling up with vases, pots and baskets!

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2007
12:11 AM

Post #3756777

So it will hold water?

Your greenhouse certainly is filling up! Where will you put your plants this winter? LOL
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 20, 2007
12:33 AM

Post #3756850

Yes it holds water and the amaizing thing is it didn't even smell like rotten cabbage when I took the flowers out! As for the plants I don't heat up the greenhouse (only when I'm in it) or keep anything tender
over the winter, my garden has lots of perennial plants which I prefer to grow,less work!! I mainly use my greenhouse to sow veg for my allotment and annuals for the garden. The rest of the time it's my workshop for floral art.
this is what it looked like in the spring

Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2007
12:57 AM

Post #3756922

I have heard of pumpkins for fall arrangements and using cabbage hollowed out as a bowl with a salad or dip in it but a vase, very clever and such a pretty vase. Gosh, you could all kinds of things, eggplant and coordinate purple flowers. Lots of great ideas, terriculture.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 20, 2007
1:13 AM

Post #3757009

I like using things from around the garden, made this hand tie collar using ivy stems and raffia.
I would like to try using gourds they come in all shapes and sizes don't they! thanks Lenjo

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2007
3:27 AM

Post #3757492

Pretty!!! You are very talented. That is a good idea about the cabbage, gourds and other fruits and veggies... You can always fiind a vase that matches the arrangement that way, and when the arrangement is ready to be thrown out you won't have to scrub the vase... Just toss it too!!! :)
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 21, 2007
10:05 PM

Post #3763357

thanks yardqueen, I think I gave the cabbage to the rabbit!!! it's like fast food but in the flower world!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 26, 2007
1:38 AM

Post #3779977

I love your collection of vases and containers everyone,

It would be lovely to see arrangements in them,
please join in the flower show !
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 26, 2007
10:52 PM

Post #3783299

Gessiegail, I like the sound of your clear bowl vases with Bomby Celosia. I haven't used Celosia much myself, but I do
love it. It would be really nice to see your arrangement with Celosia sometime!
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2007
11:40 PM

Post #3830251

I have about 30 vases that I love, and all but 1 or 2 are bargain ones from flea markets, Tuesday Morning, TJ Maxx or Marshalls! I've collected for over 30 years. I posted pics in another thread, and I think they told us not to "dual-post" pictures so I'll not post a picture. As I do an arrangement, I"ll try to remember to take a pic and then post to "show off" my treasures! :-)

Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2007
1:29 AM

Post #3830614

Connie, can you link us to the thread where your vases are? I would love to see them.
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2007
3:17 AM

Post #3831118

Sure! Here it is:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/756279/
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2007
3:17 PM

Post #3832435

Thanks, Connie, your wall arrangements are very sweet.
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2007
3:46 PM

Post #3832531

I'm not happy with them at all...for what I paid for the flowers (10. per color). The leaves just turned crunchy and dry overnight!
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2007
6:16 AM

Post #3835477

Lenjo, and pehaps Connie; I retrieved this hollow birch trunk all the way from Minnesota and thought of your hearth with wood nearby seen in a photo long ago.

Very simple: trim to desired height. A wide mouth quart jar fits invisibly inside and you have a rustic vase cover. It makes an interesting alternative to glass or metal. I will say that I got the flawed part of the bark in the photo: the other side is smoother birch. Too tired!

Thumbnail by Poochella

Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2007
4:01 PM

Post #3836395

Ohhh...I love it! And I love the "flawed side" ...tell that it's the real thing! :)
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2007
3:22 PM

Post #3847769

Here is part of my collection of white pitchers which I use for vases. (and everything else) The trouble is, they don't look so hot with the reds and oranges and yellows in my garden. :(

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 12, 2007
4:02 PM

Post #3847887

Suzy, I love your collection of everything! like the jugs on the top shelf, they would be great for
another tea-time display!
What do you mean your bright colours won't go with your containers?!!
I can see a trio with that funny chicken jug , red bowl and the yellow bowl&saucer,with your bright
and cheerful flowers that would look great.
I would fill the whole beautiful display with flowers! (you said you didnt like working
small) ha ha!

This message was edited Jul 22, 2008 1:54 AM
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 12, 2007
8:44 PM

Post #3848926

Illoquin: Love the vases...Yes...but I'm also in love with all your storage!! My kitchen lacks storage (my fault...I wanted lots of windows instead).
Maria
Rehoboth, MA
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2008
8:57 PM

Post #5275207

I love vases too,I have so many there is no way I can collect them in one place to post them. Many of them are antiques more then 100 years old
But here is one I use when I need something in a hurry, think you will know what it is, very new from Linen and Things

Thumbnail by Maria

Maria
Rehoboth, MA
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2008
8:59 PM

Post #5275215

here is a hurried arrangement in it

Thumbnail by Maria

Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2008
9:50 PM

Post #5275399

Maria,

Beautiful arrangement! I just bought flowers for guests this weekend...will post later. Thanks for showing us! :-)
Maria
Rehoboth, MA
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2008
10:07 PM

Post #5275481

Thanks Connie, wonder if you realized the 'vase' is a tooth brush holder
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2008
10:40 PM

Post #5275611

NO!!! Haha... I do love to use something for a use that was not intended...even cooler now that I know! Did you put it in the bathroom????? haha
Maria
Rehoboth, MA
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2008
11:25 PM

Post #5275830

Not this time, it is on a small side table I did just fix it in a hurry so any one of you can see it, lol

This one is a dried hydrangia on the mantle in an antique cranberry vase from last fall

Thumbnail by Maria

SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2008
1:51 AM

Post #5276809

Beautiful job Maria! Theres a Linens and Things not far from my house so I must get one of those vases!!!

Steven
Maria
Rehoboth, MA
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2008
2:45 AM

Post #5277201

Thank you Steven, I know you will like it, I think I will get some more, they come in all kinds of containers, mine is a simple one but have some orneate too
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2008
3:04 AM

Post #5277376

I really like your vase, its nice and simple and doesn't compete with the blooms. Could I ask what variety of purple coneflower you used in your arrangment?

Steven

Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2008
4:58 AM

Post #5277913

Here is an arrangement I did today for company coming tomorrow night. The vase is a cheap one ($10.00) I got from a discount store called Tuesday Morning. I also bought the same design in 2 other sizes. Sometimes I fill all three and have them in the center of a party table. The circles are convex and cause some interesting opticals when looking at the water!

Thumbnail by Connie_G

SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2008
5:24 PM

Post #5280270

Ooo thats nice! And thats a nice beta fish you have too!

Steven
Maria
Rehoboth, MA
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2008
7:38 PM

Post #5281029

Steve, I wish I could tell you, I have had them for a few years and do not remember their name, so sorry. Matter of fact I have quite a few flowers I could not tell you their propeer name. I think old age has something to do with it, lol

Connie, lovely arrangement
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2008
10:41 PM

Post #5281859

Maria, don't worry about it :) The petals on them have a very nice fringy sort of look. is 'fringy' even a word? hahaha

Steven
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2008
2:15 AM

Post #5282897

Steven.

How funny! I took the pic concentrating on the flowers and didn't realize he was so photogenic! You can even see a reflection in his eye...a little white spot. He's a sweetie. I bought a female after he kept building a bubble nest...wanting some babies...but they chased around until the little girl tried to hide and they bit one another's fins off! They were both so ugly! haha So I had to give her away to a neighbor's child.
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2008
2:47 AM

Post #5283038

Connie,
His fins look like they've grown back very well! Cute little guy, I used to have a blue female beta.
BTW, your flowers cordinate very well with your kitchen!

Steven
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2008
3:32 AM

Post #5293915

Thanks, Steven. I have a terrible compulsion to have everything match. Not in a "matchy-matchy" way, but colors, textures, and styles that complement one another. Yes, including kitchen paper towels, pots outside, etc. All flowering plants in my gardens are purples, oranges, chautreuse, and other greens. Too many colors and pattens give me a stress headache! Well...sorta! :-)
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2008
3:10 PM

Post #5295810

I sometimes wish my gardens matched more, but I'm always trying new plants, cramming them in here and there so they have sort of natural 'patchwork' look as I like to call it :) hahaha
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2008
3:27 PM

Post #5295881

Well, all flowers really go together as they have the green leaves, etc. to blend them together, like a great floral tapestry, right? I just get a whim sometimes to try a color combo and really "overdo it"!!
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5296232

True they do go together...one thing I've always wanted though is an all white garden filled with moonflowers and moonflower vines...delphiniums and white bleeding hearts...cosmos...lilies...it would be so nice :)
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2008
4:34 PM

Post #5296261

Yes, and picture a wedding on the lawn there! :-)
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2008
10:36 PM

Post #5298182

OH Yeah! I forgot it has to have a perfect weedless green lawn :)
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2008
3:59 AM

Post #5300013

Aw...no little white flowering weeds in the lawn?? :-)

SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2008
2:17 PM

Post #5306792

Hmmm...didn't thing of that..maybe some little white flowered forget-me-nots here and there :-)
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2008
6:08 PM

Post #5307917

Toothbrush holder for a vase is a fabulous idea.
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2008
6:25 PM

Post #5318590

It is so hot and dry here I don't even feel like picking any flowers. Should try to pick the sweetpeas this evening tho or they will stop blooming, probably will anyway since it too hot for them. I have a lot of flower vases just not the energy to cut flowers. My angina is rally bad in hot weather.

Donna
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2008
9:13 PM

Post #5319237

Donna,

Are sweetpeas the only flowers that quit blooming if they're not picked? Or is there a group of flowers that do that? I do know to deadhead my roses, etc. so they will bloom more often.
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2008
11:55 PM

Post #5319833

Dahlias will quit if you don't deadhead, I would say deadheading as a rule is a good practice unless you want seed.
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2008
12:54 AM

Post #5320107

I see(d). :-)
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2008
2:01 AM

Post #5320467

Hee, hee.
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2008
2:11 PM

Post #5348269

There are quite a few ;pants that will produce more late bloom if you deadhead. I cut down all the columbine after their first flush of flowers and even if they don't send up new bloom stalks, they will send up fresh foliage. I use clipper/hedge shears to cut down the bloom stalks of heucheras.

Donna

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Daisies for cutting largosmom 21 Jul 25, 2007 2:44 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America