Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: wisteria frost damage

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 6, Views: 88
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
alicerl
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2007
11:33 AM

Post #3379092

I have just purchased a wisteria, a couple of weeks ago. We put it in the ground and then 2 days after we had done so, we got an unexcepted late frost. And now the plants leaves and flower buds are all shriveled and dry looking. Not sure what I should do...do I want to trim off the part of the plant the damaged or do I just leave it alone? Please help!!!
daltri_z5
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2007
11:44 AM

Post #3379145

Personally, I would hold off trimming until you're past the last frost date. This will give the plant some time to recover on it's own. If you trim now, it will invigorate the plant to start new growth, and then if you get another frost, it may do even more damage. Wait until you've had a couple of weeks of normal temps and if it looks like your past the frost date, then maybe do some trimming. Was the plant guaranteed? I know most of our garden centers will guarantee their perennials for a full year.
alicerl
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2007
12:03 PM

Post #3379213

yeah, they have a guarantee for a year on the plant. I wasn't sure the rules on a guarantee, if it mattered what happened to the plant or not. thanks for the advice on what to do for the plant.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2007
9:44 PM

Post #3381286

Our wisteria at work got fried in the frost. From what I have heard ours will not come back since it got hit so hard. Hopefully you will get lucky and yours will come back.
lafko06
Brimfield, MA
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2007
5:50 PM

Post #3384044

I though wisteria was considered "invasive" in certain areas. Mine is established going on it's 3rd year and it survives the frosts here in zone 5 New England weather. I'll try and take a picture of it and post it later.
mlm01
St. Louis, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2007
7:01 PM

Post #3422851

alicerl;

The EXACT same thing happened to my wisteria. It looks like it's dried out. I'm crushed because it did so well last year.

Did you have any luck with yours?

Maureen
fburg696
Farmersburg, IN

April 24, 2007
8:52 AM

Post #3424791

My grandmother planted a wisteria start from her mother's house at our house 25 years ago. Now, one vine has turned into thousands. The field behind our house is covered with it. It has taken over an area of about 2 acres. Some vines are climbing to the tops of some really tall tress in my yard and some are actually cutting into trees. It's a magnificent sight to see wisteria flowers hanging in the tree tops and blooming in the field. Plus, whenever there's a breeze when it's in bloom the smell is so strong that sometimes i can smell it in my house when the windows are open. I'll post pics whenever it comes into bloom. Some of it was hurt by frost this year but i've seen it before and it came out ok. One of my very favorites

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America