Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: beginner vegetables- zone 8A

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 2, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
maya0830
San Manuel, AZ
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2007
2:17 PM

Post #3383426

Hi,
I'm new in the forum and to gardening. I'm wondering what are the best vegetables for a beginner to grow in zone 8A? Is it too late for a spring garden here? what is the best for fall? Thanks for any help you can give.
jkehl
Rome, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2007
11:47 AM

Post #3386488

What do you like to eat? That's the best kind to grow :) I find peas, lettuce and radishes to be the easiest things to grow but they like cool weather and it may be getting a bit hot where you are to grow them. Time's probably about right for you to start summer veggies such as Tomatoes, Peppers, Eggplant, Corn, Beans, Melons, Squash and Cucumbers.

You're best bet is probably to get some transplants from a nursery for Tomatoes, Peppers and Eggplant.

What's your soil like is it all prepared and ready to go?

Jeff
1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2007
2:41 PM

Post #3408751

I would check with your Agriculture Extension agent. You have such extreme heat that I would hate to guess about gardening there in the summer. Your best growing season is probably all the winter months. Even though plants would say "full sun", I think that you would need to provide them with some afternoon shade.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America