Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: my seedlings have yellow leaves

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 7, Views: 104
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mumof5
Troy, MO

April 12, 2007
10:17 PM

Post #3384963

My seedlings are not doing so well. Their leaves have begun to yellow and I'm not sure what the problem is. Do they need to be closer to the light? Should I fertilize them? They are mostly tomato plants & some pepper plants too.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2007
10:52 PM

Post #3385072

Can you post a picture? Or if you can't do that, can you tell us a little more about them, like how big are they, have you ever fertilized them, what kind of lighting do they have now, etc. If they're good size seedlings and you haven't fertilized them then that definitely could be the problem, but yellowing leaves can also be a sign of overwatering or other things. If it's lack of light, then they'll also get really leggy as they try to stretch for the light--do they look like that?
carrieebryan
Independence, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2007
4:25 PM

Post #3398540

yellowing leaves can be a sign that they're not picking up an essential mineral. I forget the details -- it's Monday! Put them under a good light and fertilize.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2007
10:34 PM

Post #3399885

If they're yellow but the veins are green then it means they're deficient in iron, but for young seedlings like this my guess is they just need some fertilizer.
carrieebryan
Independence, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2007
2:12 PM

Post #3401697

Chlorosis! I knew I'd remember the word. It popped into my head, alas, while I was looking at my 'Brandywine' seedlings last night. In one pot the 3 seedlings are yellow and in the other they're green. I used the same potting soil for both pots. Go figure. It might be iron, it might be boron. I gave 'em a drink of Miracle-Gro tomato food, which is 18-18-21, but highly diluted. The book I'm using says that the seed itself contains enough food for the seed leaves, but when the true leaves start coming the plant depends on the nutrients in the potting mix. So there'd better be some! You want the plant to pour its energy into strong roots at this point, so don't feed them anything whose 1st number (of the 3) is the highest -- that will promote leaf growth instead.
kathy1955
Mchenry, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2007
6:28 AM

Post #3407426

make sure your not overwatering! otherwize step up the light and fertilize.
HighCntryGrdnr
Kremmling, CO
(Zone 4a)

April 19, 2007
1:15 PM

Post #3408524

What is considered overwatering?
prettyhortgirl
Somerville, MA
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2007
1:29 PM

Post #3411942

you want to wait till the soil is dry to the touch to water. if the plant has grown its "true leaves" and has not yet been fed this can be the problem. i personally as a pro gardener dont feed with anything higher than the 10-10-10 or other variations. i try to keep it low to prevent fert burning.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America