Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Flowers: Rose of Sharon Question

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 10, Views: 127
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

April 13, 2007
9:57 AM

Post #3386135

Would a row of them make a good windbreak?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2007
10:02 AM

Post #3386150

Do you get a lot of wind during the wintertime? I don't know if they'd make a good windbreak or not during their leafy season, but since they're deciduous there's going to be a chunk of the year where they don't do nearly as much for you.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

April 13, 2007
10:14 AM

Post #3386189

Thank you, ecrane3.

The garden is on a 200 acre farm with very few trees in zone 9, in a small town just west of Houston.

The gardener is not yet in DG, but i'm trying...

Bill
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2007
10:21 AM

Post #3386212

My guess is that there are better choices for windbreaks (even when they do have leaves). I've never made a windbreak though so I don't have any great suggestions, but I do know that I've seen several other threads about making windbreaks around here recently--I think there was at least one question in one of these beginner forums, and another one or two in some of the regular forums--you might try doing a search and see if you can find those (if I remembered better where I'd seen them I'd post links for you, but since I'm not an expert on windbreaks I didn't pay too much attention to them)
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

April 13, 2007
11:43 AM

Post #3386480

I would plant some hedge, but it would take a few years to be big enough.

The gardener has found a source for 30 plants for $50.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2007
9:30 PM

Post #3388426

They will break the wind some but not like trees would. You could plant the ROS then maybe a few feet away or in another location plant hedge trees (osage orange, hedgeapple). A little is better than nothing though so I would go for it.
dhurst
Scott, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2007
10:44 AM

Post #3393686

I don't know how close to the coast you are--are hurricanes an issue? I lost my rose of sharon to Hurricane Rita. It was quite well established, but the prolonged winds simply laid it on its side. I tried resetting it upright, but it slowly began dying. By the next summer, it was gone. I don't think this shub would make a good windbreak.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

April 16, 2007
9:20 AM

Post #3397034

The property is at least 70 miles from the coast. The person doing the work wants some color in what ever he plants to assist with the wind control - he is a bit bored with "all green".

This is his first attempt at a garden, so he is treating everything as a learning experience. I'm hoping he will join us at DG. He has looked at the site and is interested.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2007
9:36 AM

Post #3397096

Personally I would pick the best windbreak plants regardless of whether they have flowers or not, then plant flowering things in front of it. That way he'll have a good windbreak and something pretty to look at. I'm just afraid if he insists on flowering plants for the windbreak, he may end up with something that's less functional than it could be.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

April 16, 2007
10:36 AM

Post #3397357

Good observation. I will pass that on.

We were there Saturday in a constant mini-gale from the NE. Was 12-20 mph all day.

Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2007
5:12 PM

Post #3418836

true windbreaks are a little tricky. Most are conifers that are at least three rows staggered deep and which allow some air to pass through otherwise if not done right it can actually increase the air pressure as they go around them. You're basically wanting to slow the air down, a buffer, so to speak.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America