Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Little_Squirt
Wayne, NE

April 13, 2007
9:03 PM

Post #3388321

How come places that mostly specialize in hosta also specialize in dayliles? I mean hostas are for shade, daylliles are for sun, so you don't plant them together...I was just sitting here pondering that while i was looking a different sites that have a large amount of hostas. THANKS!
lylalevi

April 15, 2007
12:30 PM

Post #3394131

I can't answer your question but it is a good observation as there are several small nurseries around here that specialize in both. I have never really thought about it but you are right...maybe because they are both easy to grow perennials and both have thousands of cultivars so not room for anything else. I think some specialize in only Hostas and only Hemerocallis because of the enormous amount of each. Both are also good for covering up old bulb foliage once they emerge. Still haven't answered your question...don't think there really is an answer.
Little_Squirt
Wayne, NE

April 15, 2007
8:03 PM

Post #3395521

It was one of those things that just popped in my little head the other day. So thought I'd see about others thoughts. Didn't really matter just to find others opinions I guess. Thanks lylalevi. Just another of those things to ponder on.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2007
9:32 PM

Post #3395833

hostas are a shade tolerant plant not a shade loving plant. but many can take anything from bright shade to several hours of direct sun. Daylilies can also tolerate these conditions so they can be planted together. It all all depends on the particular cultivater.
lylalevi

April 16, 2007
7:58 AM

Post #3396817

Yes...I have both in the same places and I do not have full sun anywhere on my property. Daylillies however do better with more/full sun and Hostas really do better without full sun. There are some cultivars that do better in sun (plantaginea) but none like full afternoon sun. Both like moisture.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America