Photo by Melody

Beekeeping: Anyone here using a dodecahedron hive for their bees?

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 11, Views: 85
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 14, 2007
12:56 AM

Post #3389018

I've read about this new shape that is in use by Ron Breland at his bee sanctuary. Anyone here have experience with them?

http://www.upstatehouse.com/archive/article.php?issue=25&dept=49&id=531
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2007
6:39 PM

Post #3391519

Never even heard of such a thing. But they're quite pretty.
MQN
Salt Lake City, UT
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2007
3:16 PM

Post #3405433

TRUST you garden_mermaid, I read about this in Gaia's Garden and have been LOOKING EVERYWHERE.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Oh yeh, by the way, THANKS!

Nadine

PS Did I mention I REALLY APPRECIATE THIS, THANKS!
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 20, 2007
2:38 AM

Post #3410668

LOL! I keep reading about these new hive designs, but I have as yet to find a plan diagram so that I can build one, or anyone who actually used one. I'm hoping someone on DG can provide enlightenment on the subject. Maybe Wonder if there are any DGers who live near the sanctuary that would be willing to go by for a visit and report back to us.
MQN
Salt Lake City, UT
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2007
2:21 PM

Post #3412073

Man,I have been looking for ANYthing to do with this since I read about it. I too have been looking for ENLIGHTENMENT on this and SO many things. lol Just to be able to see it was cool. Now just need to find a manufacturer, the visual helps but plans would be DIVINE. Better yet pre-manufactured, ready-to-ship would be WAY up my alley.

Keep on it G_M and do report back you have already had way more success then I.
Nadine
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2007
12:59 AM

Post #3414174

Nadine, I can figure out how to build the outside of the hive, but how would the frames be placed inside so that one can collect the honey and not destroy the whole comb? Seriously hoping someone else on this forum will be able to share some insight.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2007
10:15 AM

Post #3414870

Well, I figured what the hey & called Ron Breland.
He's going to email me some images.
He doesn't really have it all nailed down himself & is still experimenting. But he says his top boards (that the combs are built off) are cut to fit within the dodecahedron shape. Apparently, bees will not build comb on walls of a certain slope, so they stay pretty orderly.

The most interesting thing is that he fits an upside-down bee skep into the bottom, then installs his bees, THEN puts another skep on top of that with the top cut off, so he ends up with an egg shape with a hole in the top. And so far, he says, the bees have built brood comb there & honey up top.

He's mostly trying to mimic what the bees would do in their own ideal circumstances, and these hives certainly wouldn't work for someone trying to mass-produce pollinators or honey.

This message was edited Apr 22, 2007 4:40 PM
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2007
10:17 AM

Post #3414873

Oh, also, I asked about plans & patents or whether we otherwise would be stepping on his toes by trying to build these hives and he said NO, unless we're trying to make a buck on his dime.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2007
10:18 AM

Post #3414877

He says there is a lengthy article in the Jan/Feb issue of "Yoga Joyful Living" if anyone wants to call that company & get a back issue.

He also referred to a Kenya hive, which is built in the shape of a trough, as a precursor to what he's working on.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2007
8:33 PM

Post #3416230

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, summerkid! I will try to track down the Yoga Joyful Living article. Did he mention whether or not he sells plans for his current hive designs? I would be happy to purchase plans from him to get started on my own hives. Would you consider Dmailing his contact info to me?
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2007
5:46 PM

Post #3418930

Hey GM, he doesn't sell plans because he has no desire to profit from this. Plus he says he's still perfecting it. He's very curious to see what other people come up with too, but he suspects that a major reason for the recent downfall of the HB is that they do not like being kept in square hives that have nothing to do with how they create. He says they want to be in hollows, not filing cabinets.

I sent him a link to this thread, and I'm sure he has no problem with me sharing his email, so I will indeed send that to you. Remind me if I forget.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 23, 2007
12:58 AM

Post #3420297

Thanks summerkid. I will contact him and see what we can work out.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America