Photo by Melody

Mosaics and Stained Glass: Clear adhesive fooled me the first time...

Communities > Forums > Mosaics and Stained Glass
bookmark
Forum: Mosaics and Stained GlassReplies: 35, Views: 977
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2007
11:59 AM

Post #3390164

First let me say I love Bond 527 and will continue
to use the product. It does not always come in the
packaging as show, sometimes the tube is sold alone
in a display.

However, while a previous project using clear glass
adhered to a painted surface tricked me into thinking
it was clear adhesion, my current project shows otherwise.

I am presently adhering clear tempered glass to a clear
vase of good size. Initially it was beautiful and clear, making
the vase appear cracked rather than having pieces glued
to it. This morning I woke to inspect it, only to find the adhesive
had not only bubbled, but has what I would call spiderwebs
beneath the glass pieces.

For this particular type of project, clear on clear, I will use
an alternate product next time.

Any suggestions other than
plain white glue or Weldbond? Great products, but not the
type of adhesive I prefer to use on glass to glass.

Many thanks for any clear glass to glass adhesive suggestions.

Karen Marie

Thumbnail by WUVIE
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kikisdad
Spring Hill, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2007
5:42 PM

Post #3391289

Krazy Glue or its equivalent? I don't know if they dry clear but they will bond glass fairly well.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2007
6:33 PM

Post #3391488

Ah, thanks, Kikisdad. I need to make sure it dries clear.
Actually, I guess I'm looking for more of an adhesive cement
and not a glue or a superglue per say.

:-)
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2007
1:36 AM

Post #3400346

Liquid nails clear seal is perfectly clear , waterproof and odorless

Thumbnail by scooterbug

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 7, 2007
2:49 PM

Post #3472598

Wuvie, we have so many of the same interests..unbelievable (now I won't go that far lol)
I have a mold for a bench top that I want to do mosaic work on..I hinted to the men who were mixing the cement next door that should and only should they have cement left would they fill my mold..guess the bench is about 4' long and abut 2' wide...when I got home one day last week they had..only thing is they didn't get all the bubbles out and one corner doesn't look 100% but when you do mosaic it should hide the imperfection - beggars can't be choosers - right?

Now once you have bare cement, is it the weld bond you attach the glass with?

Normally only do regular stained glass, but have so much leftover glass that I need to find something to use it up...
would appreciate your input...

WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2007
12:46 AM

Post #3575648

Oh, Betty, I am so sorry, I haven't been to this thread in
a while, my friend! My apologies!

You could use Weldbond on concrete, but only indoors
unless you grout and seal it. Many use silicone, such as
a G.E. product or Liquid Nails.

However, you may wish to consider using a thin layer of
adhesive, then let it dry as a sealer of sort. If you try to just
stick pieces on the bare concrete, the adhesive may be sucked
in by it, like a piece of Terra Cotta for example. You have to seal
it first before you apply the pieces.

Does that help? I'm not sure I make sense some days, LOL.

Scooter, I've been meaning to post a pic of the candy jar I did
for some time now, it reminds me of yours, a similar shape. I
didn't do the lid, though. It was a fun and quick project for leftover
blobs. :-)

KM
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2007
2:14 AM

Post #3576112

I would love to see your candy jar .

Pweeze Wuvie ☺♥

My blue candle shelter was made on an inexpensive hurricane shaped vase at WM by the dried flowers , polished stones and fake beach glass, globs and shapes ;-))

I got a few bags of the beach glass and large shapes but all is now packed up with my other artsy stuff.(sure hope this place sells soon).
liatris1
Ayer, MA

July 19, 2007
7:49 PM

Post #3755837

i just joined and ironically just started my first mosaic, using some native american beads, stones, and rocks i collected in arizona deserts. i'm all set with an octogonal mold, grout, adhesive, sealer, etc, i haven't used a tile cutter before and am having much trouble getting the glass to clip in triangular shapes. i tried a mini rolling pin and a fimo clay tool knowing they'd use much less pressure with no luck.

everyone here has so much experience! any advice for a beginner who has dabbled in simulated stained glass paintings before?
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2007
7:57 PM

Post #3755867

Hello Liatris,

May I assume you are using the typical green handled tile nippers?
Just a hint, and some would say no, but I honestly get a different cut
when I turn the tool head around, nipping in either with the hammer
next to the glass / tile or away from it.

Also, do you have a pair of wheeled nippers? I find they are much
easier to use when trying to achieve the triangular shapes cut from
square tiles.

Hope this helps,
KM
Climatis_iris
Hickory, KY

January 31, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #7514967

I always use Nano470 glass to glass adhesive. It is completely clear and not brittle. It sets up in record time about 30 seconds by putting it under a fluorescent light bulb. You also can use it in indoors or out. If you are doing a vase I just put the light down in my clear vase and add the colored glass. I love it.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2010
3:40 PM

Post #7515057

Thanks, Clim,

As a mention, I've come to love Bond 527 for many projects. It is now sold under
the name of Beacon 527.

Scooter, I had completely forgotten about your request to see the vase similar to yours.
I burn a tealight in it almost every day in the kitchen. I'll see about getting that picture posted.

:-) Karen
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2010
4:05 PM

Post #7515142

Scooter, I am sorry about the poor picture. My camera has been misbehaving.

:-) Karen

Thumbnail by WUVIE

scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2010
4:19 AM

Post #7517444

Lovely♥ good job Wuvie :-)
I use my blue vase quite often and hope you enjoy yours as much as we do.

~scoots ... still unpacking argh !

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 8, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #7542177

just too cute for words
p2_glassgarden
Alachua, FL

February 9, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #7545043

I use MAC glue for glass-on-glass. I purchase it from Maryland Mosaics.com. It dries fast and clear, only takes a little bit of glue (just be sure to cover completely, with thin layer), and is waterproof once dry.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 9, 2010
8:51 PM

Post #7545400

Climatis_Iris, will look for the Nano470, hopefully they will have it here in Canada...thanks for the info re the light...I do hangings with old windows 'glass on glass' technique..I'll have to look tonight at the name brand...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2010
5:54 AM

Post #7576090

Bettypauze, I love your window! Did you use copper foil on the pieces before you assembled it? Thanks, Ric
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

April 9, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #7691768

This thread is very helpful. I have a few glass tiles, small ones, that I want to glue to corners of a mirror. You can see through the little glass tiles so I want to use a glue that won't show. What do you recommend? Also, if it sets up in 30 seconds, that might be too fast for my slow work! I already have purpose tremor and I haven't even started.
Cindyevans12
Buckley, MI

May 19, 2010
5:48 AM

Post #7806424

Someone please help me...I have been working on a glass on glass window and have tried 5 different glues. None of them look good once the sun shines through. I had seen a local artist doing these windows but she won't share what kind of glue she uses. Is there anyone who can give me some info on how to glue the glass so it looks nice and what they use? Once I find the right glue do I put glue on the entire piece, just in one spot, or around the edges? I saw someone mentioned liquid nails clear seal but saw it was on a smaller vase so was wondering if it would work on larger pieces of glass and be clear. I also saw someone mention nano470. Is that available in stores or only on line?
I would appriciate any info on tips and tecniques for doing these windows. The project I am working on is only for my personal use but would like to finish it .
thanks
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
7:16 AM

Post #7806686

Liquid Nails Clear Seal is excellent for your project.

You only put the adhesive on each individual piece of glass then place it where you want it.

Liquid nails clear seal allows you a little time for slight repositioning if needed.

We all wannasee what you made ;-D

Good Luck,
~s

P.S. Cover the entire backside of each piece of glass or you will see air bubbles when the light shines through.
Cindyevans12
Buckley, MI

May 19, 2010
8:16 AM

Post #7806875

Thank you so much scooterbug!!!! I really didn't want to waste anymore time and money trying to find the right one.
Thanks for the help .I will post once it is finished.
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
1:41 PM

Post #7807888

:-)
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2010
1:02 PM

Post #8072986

BettyPauze I think the work you did on the window is amazing. I think I might have seen that picture before. Do you know people would pay hundreds of dollors for that beautiy? Contact a professial designer and show what you have . Even if you need to pay her a comission your pay will be good - and the more that happens the more well known your work is. Honestly I think it would really fly if you can get exposure with someone . And of course there are the shops that sell upper end art and they charge an arm and a leg . It won't hurt to show it around the shops and hgh end furniture stores. With good pictures and a limit price of $200 you can sell it on e-bay. People often pay insane prices once they get the excitement of bidding !
Ok, that is it. I am sorry I got of on a tanget !!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2010
6:48 AM

Post #8074289

BettyPauze, did you every get the name of the glue you use for your glass on glass

This message was edited Sep 6, 2010 6:46 AM
swalt
Dallas, OR

September 5, 2010
9:39 PM

Post #8082703

Just joined in on this thread. I have done glass on glass and use Weldbond. I had to be sure to use a thin coat of glue on the glass so it will dry completely clear and cover the piece of glass completely with the glue, like someone else said, or else bubbles will occur.

Bettypauze, your work is beautiful!!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

September 6, 2010
5:50 AM

Post #8082936

Hi swalt Welcome
please post pictures we would love to see :)
swalt
Dallas, OR

September 6, 2010
2:02 PM

Post #8083848

Oh, sorry! I sold it! Nothing notable-it was a garage sale. I know-my bad..
swalt
Dallas, OR

September 6, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #8083884

I will show you a mosaic doll I made 2 summers ago during a mosaic class I took at the community college. I found the straw form of this doll at a garage sale for $1. I covered it with a thin layer of thinset, then pushed wire mesh into the wet thinset, put another layer of thinset over that. As it dried it smoothed the surface so I could glue mosaic pieces to the form. I used a regular tile adhesive to attach the mosaic pieces. The pieces were broken pottery pieces and glass tiles. I then grouted with sanded grout purchased at Home Depot. She is then sealed with a grout sealer. I keep her outside in the garden during spring and summer. I had so much fun with every step. I named her Estella Victoria...quite royal you know... :0))

I haven't done very much with mosaics in the last 2 years. But am planning to start up again this fall.

Thumbnail by swalt

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

September 6, 2010
3:43 PM

Post #8083990

swalt,
How Fun .. nice job
she reminds my of the Russian dolls
Cheryl
swalt
Dallas, OR

September 6, 2010
7:10 PM

Post #8084551

Wow, Cheryl she does! It never dawned on me. Thanks for your eye...
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2011
1:11 PM

Post #8588881

I love E6000 but they did not have it at Wal-Mart so I got Permatex Clear RTV Silicone in the craft dept. It has an add on tube so you can put just a small ammount on. Haven't tried it yet though, but it says it dries clear. It also says waterproof and transparent.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

May 27, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8590402

I used the clear Silicone on this glass on glass and it did dry clear ...

Thumbnail by denimangle

caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 31, 2011
5:16 AM

Post #8598684

I use Lexel, Mac Glue or Weldbond. Weldbond needs to be grouted, which gives an interesting stained glass look.
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8602100

By the way I don't like the Permetex Adhesive glue. It takes too long to set up. So I'll be looking for E6000 or something highly reccomended here.
gypsydayze
Irving, TX

October 25, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9694740

Bettypauze, that is stunning! What kind of glue did you use...or is that soldered? I love both of the candle-lights too! I have been using E6000 which i like a lot. the glass on glass still comes out looking sloppy unless you are across the room and squinting lol. it may be my technique though as i move pieces around a lot when i change my mind. I'm mainly struggling with either getting grout under the glass or using too much glue where the grout never lays right especially around the globs and winds up looking messy. alas...maybe it is just practice and patience, but if there is a better glue in the meantime :-D

Also, sanded or unsanded grout and are there any other alternatives?

I just started...
janggeungulk
chennai
India

January 13, 2014
1:29 AM

Post #9746450

The best way to select Best Adhesive Supplier product,it will be very quality, because it is a cyanoacrylate adhesive glue.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Mosaics and Stained Glass Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I'm trying stained glass mosaics without grout! luckygardnr 14 Aug 23, 2012 3:05 PM
How is your shop set up? SandiTX 26 Aug 3, 2009 4:15 AM
Show us all your bowling balls! luckygardnr 270 May 7, 2014 12:34 PM
A Demonstration: Breaking Properties of Tempered Glass scooterbug 10 Aug 28, 2007 4:50 AM
Glass painting Vee8ch 3 Dec 12, 2007 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America