Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Garden Shed: Troy-bilt 4 cycle cultivator

Communities > Forums > Garden Shed
bookmark
Forum: Garden ShedReplies: 11, Views: 178
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

April 14, 2007
2:03 PM

Post #3390611

Has anyone had one of these? Can you tell me how you like it? Is it easy to start (for a woman who can't start anything with those darned pull ropes?) Is it easy to maneuver?
johnwfisher
Lake Oswego, OR

April 24, 2007
3:51 PM

Post #3426096

Take a look at the Echo Cultivator. It is made by Mantis and has something called "i-start" which is supposed to make pulling the rope easy. If you need something smaller, there is a lightweight electric by Eurosystems.
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

April 25, 2007
12:47 AM

Post #3427872

I was given a gift certificate for Lowes. They only carry the TroyBilt and Bolen.
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2007
9:49 PM

Post #3779113

Where did you get the information that Mantis makes Echo? Just curious.
mqiq77
Danielsville, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2007
8:56 PM

Post #3829561

I have a large troybuilt horse, and a mantis, and the troy built sits in the shead, gathering dust, while I do every thing with the mantis.The mantis starts easy, and does a much finer job on all gardening surfacies.The mantis will have a bed ready with less toil.Mike
*I am tempted to buy my step daughter one so she will quit borrowing mine.
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

August 27, 2007
3:27 PM

Post #3905385

I actually bought the Troy Bilt one not long after I posted this, the 4 cycle cultivator/edger, and I love it. I've been using it all summer and not had any problem at all getting it started, even with a pull rope. Other pull rope things we have require such a hard pull and such a long reach, I could never get them started. It does a great job of working the soil, even in my very rocky soil.

It's not heavy and is very easy to maneuver. It includes the rear wheels, which make it simple to roll around but I often just pick it up and carry it.

It would be nice if Troy Bilt offered the attachments that you can get for a Mantis, but I don't know whether I would use any of them anyway. I'm very pleased with this one.
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2007
6:10 PM

Post #3997730

Just throwing in my 2 cents -- I have a 4-stroke Honda (that I got reconditioned in a long, drawn-out stupidity battle with HD, where I will NEVER shop again) and it's great. I tilled up what's going to be the vegetable patch next spring, if all goes the way I plan it. It's loud (I suspect they all are) so you hear surf for about a half hour after you've tilled. Small price to pay, though!
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2007
2:27 AM

Post #4083733

I am a granny with bad discs in my neck and back...i can easily manage my Troybuilt tiller...it isn't hard to start at all...plus all I have to do is direct it and let it do its' own thing...
mattsmom
Tomah, WI

October 22, 2007
5:43 PM

Post #4110932

I had a mantis & now the Troy-built cultivator. I think the Troy is a more sturdy, solid machine. Just my opinion, for what it is worth.
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

November 10, 2007
1:11 AM

Post #4177074

I am wandering around DG tonight and just wanted to add my thoughts on the Mantis. I can't start anything that requries a gas motor with a pull start. I bought an electric Mantis for the same price as the gas unit and love it. It's light weight, easy to handle and carry around, and no pull-start! The blades come off with a simple removal of a cotter pin and they slide off the axle so that you can clear out any roots, then slide back on, and you pop the pin in place. Easy.

Laura

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2007
1:15 AM

Post #4177088

when i was young(thats years ago) i worked at troy-built. the real name was garden way. back then everything was made and assembled in the U.S.
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2007
2:05 PM

Post #4206198

Love our troy bilts. We have 2 horses and they are so simple to work with. One of them is 25 years old and other than needing new tires this year and regularly changing the bolo tines, it's been problem free. We just bought a new horse several months ago, as we will probably give the older one to our oldest son, I evidently infected him with the gardening bug more than I realized. LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Shed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quick-Disconnects for garden hoses? darius 18 Oct 5, 2007 8:07 PM
A Man and His Tractor LadibugZ9 16 May 12, 2007 6:29 PM
Tractor on it's way!!!! whooo-hoooo!!! cici77 16 Apr 26, 2008 9:24 PM
Old Reliable CountryGardens 49 Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM
Your thoughts on a Mantis? Kell 122 Apr 16, 2012 5:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America