Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: A Big Mess

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 3, Views: 135
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
iteachhair
Justin, TX

April 14, 2007
5:24 PM

Post #3391224

I moved into my new home about 6 months ago and finally have time to take stock of my yard. What a mess!! One entire side and most of the back yard fence line is covered with red tip phoninias that are about 12 feet tall and some have leaf spot. I'm hoping a trip to Home Depot will cure that. One of my Golden Retrievers loves to run up and down the fence lines to bark at neighbors dogs on each side. My goal is to plant underneath the redtips with tons of shade-loving plants to make it feel more English gardeny. I'd love to know what suggestions anyone has for the bare side of my fence (and the dog run). I wanted to plant more redtips but after reading some comments, I'm not sure. I also don't quite know how to combat the dog issue. The side with the redtips now is safe from the exercise run, but new plants on the other side probably need protection. I am in the DFW area of Texas, so I'm looking for heat and drought resistant plants. Any suggestions?
lylalevi

April 16, 2007
8:18 AM

Post #3396881

I would hold back on MORE Photinias. they are really not the best shrubs. Have you thought about an electric frnce to keep your dog in certain areas? It does work. As far as plants...you could try Epimediums, Christmas Ferns, Brunneras, Heucheras, Polygonums, ...if you could get some water there Hostas would do well also.
iteachhair
Justin, TX

April 18, 2007
8:23 PM

Post #3406366

Thanks,
I'm gonna check out those plants!
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2007
7:05 PM

Post #3422865

I also have dogs that 'run the fence'. I have planted with a space that still allows them access to the fence line. See where they normally go, and try to avoid their paths. Creatively, of course.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America