Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Roses: Rose hybribization

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 4, Views: 173
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MG
Bradenton, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2001
2:59 AM

Post #9917

Does anyone have any experience getting seeds from cross pollenated roses?
sunflower
Olive Branch, MS
(Zone 7b)

August 3, 2001
11:33 PM

Post #105379

Are you interested in making your own hybrids, or do you just want general information about propagation? Your question is a bit unclear.
MG
Bradenton, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2001
12:48 PM

Post #105559

I want to try to grow hybrids with the plants I already have. You would do it the same way wouldn't you?
sunflower
Olive Branch, MS
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2001
5:24 PM

Post #105662

Only species roses come true from seeds, and only if they have been pollinated by their own kind. If you plant rose hips from a hybrid, it will not produce roses like the parent plant, as it has many different genes in it that may be expressed, just like human propagation. {G}

If you want to make more of the plants exactly like you have, then you are talking asexual propagation, ususally softwood cuttings rooted, or budwood grafted onto a root stock. Most modern roses are patented for 20 years, so this is technically illegal if the rose is less than 20 years old. If you want to try hybridizing completely new hybrids by taking the pollen from one rose and fertilizing the second rose, then you are getting into a really tricky and time consuming pasttime. Check out this link to the ARS site http://www.ars.org/experts/hybridizing.html and it has information about the Rose Hybridizer's Association. You'll definately be interested in joining that if hybridizing is your goal. Many many folks hybridize roses at an amateur level, and only a very small handful ever produce a rose that is introduced into commerce. I admire anyone who wants to undertake it. Good luck!
MG
Bradenton, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2001
12:44 AM

Post #106165

Yeah, I figured what the heck. Roses had to do it that way in the beginning. I have an orange rose and a lavender one I'd like to try to cross pollenate.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America