Daisies for cutting

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Hi, I was just wondering what type(s) of daisies to get this year to use in my very informal arrangements, when I discovered this new forum! I am not into arranging, just like a vase of flowers on my desk, or to take to a friend on occasion. I have a large number of spring bulbs planted, and am adding more lilies this year along with a few varieties of Rudbeckia. I would like to have some daisies to use with other flowers or on their own and am not sure which are best for this purpose. Would appreciate advice.

To whomever said they use hostas in their arrangements, I just started that last year, and love it. I have a number of varieties, so I get to mix and match quite a bit.

Laura

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi Laura,
Shasta Daisies and the wild Ox Eye daisies (that bloom earlier) make excellent, long lasting cut flowers. Gloriosa daisies (Rudbeckia) are great for cutting too. Seems that most composite type flowers are durable in the vase.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Park Seed had so many choices of new white daisies this year. 'White Knight' and 'Crazii Daisy' were two of them. After i begged for this forum, I am late getting started this spring because of an unusually cold zone 9a spring and high winds. I am going to have to watch you all have fun for a while. I just want everyone to try Johnny's 'Bombay' series of Celosia and Park's pelleted seeds of Angelonia.....They are great for our hot summers....to cut!!

Any particular favorite cultivars? I would like some white but maybe pinks or yellows would be nice too.

Thanks!

Laura

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Those were the cultivars of the daisies and Celosia .....Parks is the only company offering pelleted seeds in the 'Serena' series of Angelonia...I grew the purple, white, pink, lavender and pink lavender....I always grow a lot of tall coreopsis....once again, I don't really like park seeds, but they had two new tall coreopsis called Sunshine Superman and 'Sunfire'....I always love all the different cultivars of cone flowers (echinacea) for pinks and darker pinks....
I still love to grow some of the good fillers...like Joy Pye Weed, etc....
I don't know about zinnias and cosmos but they are the stay of our summer gardens along with gladiolus corms.....
I don't have time now, but I have found a lot of fabulous zinnias and cosmos for cuttings....
4paws is her user name who supplied all the gladiolus corms this year....she might be able to still get you some.
I also ordered Park's arranger glads.....
Don't forget the foliage and flowers from so many shrubs and small trees.....we grow duranta, lots of salvias(usually not too good for cutting but pretty)and many tropical foliage like amaranthus, etc.
check back later tomorrow...
gail

Thanks!

Laura

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Laura, are you looking for pink and yellow daisies? Painted Daisies come in shades of pink and are said to be good cut flowers, but I've never had any luck growing them. There is a pale yellow shasta daisy I've seen advertised, I believe in a Park seed catalog. Yellow Coreopsis, Margarite Daisies, or yellow Rudbeckia would be good yellow daisy type flowers to cut too. There are also Chrysanthemum hybrids with daisy form blooms in a variety of colors available (Bluestone Perennials offers several). Daisy form chrysanthemums are the "daisies" most florists use.

I've got some looking to do! My preference would be to get a plant rather than have to start seed so late this year, so it really helps to know what to look for.

I would like to have a mix of colors eventually, but have a limited amount of sunny bed space to use, so will have to select carefully until I get more beds in at a later date.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. That is just what I was hoping for.

Laura

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Plantladylin posted a vase of (I can't spell it) Osterpernum (incorrect spelling). They were beautiful and are in nurseries everywhere.....they come in all colors and you are in the right place in zone 7b......doesn't get as hot as we do.....I think she posted under Dave's welcome...to this forum

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

largosmom, I wish you were closer I would give you all the starts you could possibly want of the big white Esther Reed daisy. I have a row in the rose garden that desperately needs trimming back.

That's a really nice thought! They sound beautiful.

Laura

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Can you trim them, wrap wet paper towels around the bottoms and send in a big baggie? I do that all the time with friends.....
edited to say: be ready to pot them up and keep high humidity until they root

This message was edited Apr 18, 2007 9:36 PM

If you have some shade, I have some small hostas to trade! :-) I have some that I've lost the tags on, so don't know what they are, but they are cute.

Laura

london England, United Kingdom

Hi everyone, enjoyed reading your ideas about daisys. I only have one type growing they look good but don't smell very nice!

Thumbnail by terriculture

I made a cake............'Happy Birthday' !!!

Thumbnail by terriculture
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Pretty cake terriculture! Far too cheerful to eat.

Highland White Dream daisies are tops. I got a little start from Liza in this thread ( see her photo there) and they are just superb- great stems, long lasting flowers..
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cutting/msg072214004896.html

Thanks Poochella, are you going to do an arrangement for us in the 'getting to know you thread' ? please!!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Doubtful, terriculture. I mostly grow them and only stick a few in a vase for my own enjoyment or gifts. I do not enjoy ME doing the arranging, but I adore seeing all you others' handiwork and creativity at work.

Thanks for being honest Poochella, I'm sure everyone would like to hear your comments about our arrangements.
so please keep admiring our work!! If you ever want to make a 'request' for a special occasion please ask and I'm sure we will try our best!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Oh my gosh, you're too cool! I may take you up on that. I'm still trying to get over the daisy birthday cake, and the pearls centered in the roses on the other thread! Very stunning.

Glad you liked them Poochella, thanks for saying !

Beautiful! I ended up with a few different cone-flowers, in basic purple and two in the "Big Sky" series--yellow and bronzy pink. I just added a pink one with a mop top called "Razzamatazz" (or something like that). I also got a Shasta Daisy 'Becky', and that's blooming now.

Love the Cake arrangement!

Laura

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.