Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Daisies for cutting

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 21, Views: 182
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2007
12:31 PM

Post #3394133

Hi, I was just wondering what type(s) of daisies to get this year to use in my very informal arrangements, when I discovered this new forum! I am not into arranging, just like a vase of flowers on my desk, or to take to a friend on occasion. I have a large number of spring bulbs planted, and am adding more lilies this year along with a few varieties of Rudbeckia. I would like to have some daisies to use with other flowers or on their own and am not sure which are best for this purpose. Would appreciate advice.

To whomever said they use hostas in their arrangements, I just started that last year, and love it. I have a number of varieties, so I get to mix and match quite a bit.

Laura
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2007
3:18 PM

Post #3394577

Hi Laura,
Shasta Daisies and the wild Ox Eye daisies (that bloom earlier) make excellent, long lasting cut flowers. Gloriosa daisies (Rudbeckia) are great for cutting too. Seems that most composite type flowers are durable in the vase.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2007
4:39 PM

Post #3394840

Park Seed had so many choices of new white daisies this year. 'White Knight' and 'Crazii Daisy' were two of them. After i begged for this forum, I am late getting started this spring because of an unusually cold zone 9a spring and high winds. I am going to have to watch you all have fun for a while. I just want everyone to try Johnny's 'Bombay' series of Celosia and Park's pelleted seeds of Angelonia...They are great for our hot summers...to cut!!
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2007
7:29 PM

Post #3395404

Any particular favorite cultivars? I would like some white but maybe pinks or yellows would be nice too.

Thanks!

Laura
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2007
8:36 PM

Post #3395625

Those were the cultivars of the daisies and Celosia ...Parks is the only company offering pelleted seeds in the 'Serena' series of Angelonia...I grew the purple, white, pink, lavender and pink lavender...I always grow a lot of tall coreopsis...once again, I don't really like park seeds, but they had two new tall coreopsis called Sunshine Superman and 'Sunfire'...I always love all the different cultivars of cone flowers (echinacea) for pinks and darker pinks...
I still love to grow some of the good fillers...like Joy Pye Weed, etc...
I don't know about zinnias and cosmos but they are the stay of our summer gardens along with gladiolus corms...
I don't have time now, but I have found a lot of fabulous zinnias and cosmos for cuttings...
4paws is her user name who supplied all the gladiolus corms this year...she might be able to still get you some.
I also ordered Park's arranger glads...
Don't forget the foliage and flowers from so many shrubs and small trees...we grow duranta, lots of salvias(usually not too good for cutting but pretty)and many tropical foliage like amaranthus, etc.
check back later tomorrow...
gail
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2007
9:09 PM

Post #3395745

Thanks!

Laura
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2007
8:51 AM

Post #3396959

Laura, are you looking for pink and yellow daisies? Painted Daisies come in shades of pink and are said to be good cut flowers, but I've never had any luck growing them. There is a pale yellow shasta daisy I've seen advertised, I believe in a Park seed catalog. Yellow Coreopsis, Margarite Daisies, or yellow Rudbeckia would be good yellow daisy type flowers to cut too. There are also Chrysanthemum hybrids with daisy form blooms in a variety of colors available (Bluestone Perennials offers several). Daisy form chrysanthemums are the "daisies" most florists use.
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2007
8:33 PM

Post #3399375

I've got some looking to do! My preference would be to get a plant rather than have to start seed so late this year, so it really helps to know what to look for.

I would like to have a mix of colors eventually, but have a limited amount of sunny bed space to use, so will have to select carefully until I get more beds in at a later date.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. That is just what I was hoping for.

Laura
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2007
8:43 PM

Post #3399419

Plantladylin posted a vase of (I can't spell it) Osterpernum (incorrect spelling). They were beautiful and are in nurseries everywhere...they come in all colors and you are in the right place in zone 7b...doesn't get as hot as we do...I think she posted under Dave's welcome...to this forum
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2007
7:37 PM

Post #3406217

largosmom, I wish you were closer I would give you all the starts you could possibly want of the big white Esther Reed daisy. I have a row in the rose garden that desperately needs trimming back.
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2007
8:31 PM

Post #3406393

That's a really nice thought! They sound beautiful.

Laura
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2007
8:46 PM

Post #3406474

Can you trim them, wrap wet paper towels around the bottoms and send in a big baggie? I do that all the time with friends...
edited to say: be ready to pot them up and keep high humidity until they root

This message was edited Apr 18, 2007 9:36 PM
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2007
8:58 PM

Post #3406534

If you have some shade, I have some small hostas to trade! :-) I have some that I've lost the tags on, so don't know what they are, but they are cute.

Laura
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 20, 2007
3:33 AM

Post #3757510

Hi everyone, enjoyed reading your ideas about daisys. I only have one type growing they look good but don't smell very nice!

Thumbnail by terriculture
Click the image for an enlarged view.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 20, 2007
3:37 AM

Post #3757522

I made a cake...'Happy Birthday' !!!

Thumbnail by terriculture
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2007
7:03 PM

Post #3769671

Pretty cake terriculture! Far too cheerful to eat.

Highland White Dream daisies are tops. I got a little start from Liza in this thread ( see her photo there) and they are just superb- great stems, long lasting flowers..
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cutting/msg072214004896.html
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 23, 2007
8:02 PM

Post #3769867

Thanks Poochella, are you going to do an arrangement for us in the 'getting to know you thread' ? please!!
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2007
3:14 AM

Post #3771713

Doubtful, terriculture. I mostly grow them and only stick a few in a vase for my own enjoyment or gifts. I do not enjoy ME doing the arranging, but I adore seeing all you others' handiwork and creativity at work.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 24, 2007
4:11 AM

Post #3772081

Thanks for being honest Poochella, I'm sure everyone would like to hear your comments about our arrangements.
so please keep admiring our work!! If you ever want to make a 'request' for a special occasion please ask and I'm sure we will try our best!
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2007
5:46 AM

Post #3772281

Oh my gosh, you're too cool! I may take you up on that. I'm still trying to get over the daisy birthday cake, and the pearls centered in the roses on the other thread! Very stunning.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 25, 2007
2:03 AM

Post #3775977

Glad you liked them Poochella, thanks for saying !
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2007
2:44 AM

Post #3776156

Beautiful! I ended up with a few different cone-flowers, in basic purple and two in the "Big Sky" series--yellow and bronzy pink. I just added a pink one with a mop top called "Razzamatazz" (or something like that). I also got a Shasta Daisy 'Becky', and that's blooming now.

Love the Cake arrangement!

Laura

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America