Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beekeeping: Just Beginning

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 3, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sudhira
Aptos, CA

April 16, 2007
10:36 AM

Post #3397358

So, I grow dahlias and have a large garden ( 1.5 acres )...There is always something blooming around here...I enjoy working with bees, by that I mean...as I work my 250 dahlia plants, the bees and I work side by side...When I heard of the decline of the honey bee it concerned me greatly, so I decided to begin keeping bees...I visited a local apiary ( www.pacificcrestapiaries.com ). They were incredibly helpful and as my good luck would dictate...They GAVE me 8 frame bottom boards, brood boxes supers and tops as well as entrance thingies hahaha...I ordered some books from Amazon and purchased ABJ from www.dadant.com. Another friend gave me a veil and a smoker...My brood box is ready for bees ( it already has some frames with honey and all )...I found a place that sells "nucs"..it is a bit of a drive from here( www.bloomfieldbeeshoney.com )...What else should I do to prepare for the bees??? Thanks a bunch
jjpm74
Stratford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2007
10:51 AM

Post #3397410

It sounds like your already in great shape. If you haven't already and the hive parts are used, check for wax moths as they can really do a number on a new hive. Use the entrance reducer until the bees have had a chance to build their numbers up and you might want to medicate your hive at first just as a precautionary measure. Otherwise, best of luck to you.
jio1
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2007
11:48 AM

Post #3397662

Thank you for being so willing to help the bees! Best of luck to you -- keep us posted! jo
sudhira
Aptos, CA

April 16, 2007
12:25 PM

Post #3397803

Thanks..I just rec'd some information from the local apiary, they are going to sell me a "Nuc" and mentor me...I am in good hands...thank you for your kinds words!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America