Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: Endless Summer Hydrangreas - Do they get cut back to ground?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 5, Views: 98
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sahlink
Rochester, MN

April 16, 2007
6:30 PM

Post #3398985

Call me a novice... I have no idea whether or not to cut this down to the ground. Also I have a Hydrangrea tree. Do I cut the old dried blooms off or leave on?

Thanks, clueless.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2007
6:36 PM

Post #3398994

My macrophyll hydrangeas always had dieback here and I would prune that off once they budded out and you could tell what you lost. Otherwise there is no reason to cut off living branches. That being said - they most likely die back all the way in MN.
My panuculatas I prune off the old flowers yes, similar pruning time as above.
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2007
9:52 PM

Post #3399696

DO NOT CUT BACK! Endless Summer is designed to bloom on old and new wood...if you cut the old off you lose blooms...
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2007
10:31 PM

Post #3399876

It will bloom even if you cut it back, you're in MN so I'm guessing about zone 4? In your climate any buds that formed on old wood likely froze over the winter, so any blooms you get will be the ones that form on new wood anyway so you're not significantly reducing the number of blooms you'll see by pruning it now. This is the whole reason why cultivars like 'Endless Summer' were developed so that H. macrophylla can be enjoyed by people who live in climates like yours where the older macrophyllas would never bloom because the buds froze every winter. That being said, I wouldn't do any pruning unless there are dead branches or if the shrub has gotten really overgrown.
lylalevi

April 17, 2007
10:14 AM

Post #3400978

Ditto to what ecrane said
lafko06
Brimfield, MA
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2007
9:37 PM

Post #3403047

I'm in zone 5 and some you cut back in fall and some you cut back in spring. Over here, the Endless Summers get cut back in early Spring. Once you see the older growth, defined by its obviously dead looking stems, you can break off the old growth by hand. Good luck.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America