Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: Rearranging Bulbs....

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 26, Views: 135
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2007
7:06 PM

Post #3399070

I have daffodils, tulips, and hyacinths in my garden. I don't like where I put them...whens the best time to rearrange them? Also, is there an organized way of going about this so I don't get confused and forget what each one is and where I've already replanted others? In the past, I would put a big rock over where I planted the bulbs, but since I've planted bulbs two years in a row, the others where dead and no where to be seen when I planted the second batch. My hyacinths are all done blooming...the tulips are still in bloom and getting ready to bloom. Oh, also I have some crocus and was wondering if these multiply...I really like them! Thanks. Oh, also I forgot to mention that my hyacinths have gone to seed?! I don't think they did that last year...am I right, do they do that? If so, when do I plant them?

Kristie

This message was edited Apr 16, 2007 6:44 PM
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2007
10:49 PM

Post #3400001

I would stick some labels by them now while you still know which ones are which, then wait until the foliage has died back before you move them (the labelling part is important, dead tulip foliage probably looks a lot like dead daffodil foliage!). Then move the labels along with the bulbs, that way you'll know what's where.
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2007
10:58 PM

Post #3400035

Ahhhh...very good idea...and, I'm afraid after the flower is gone, just about all the foliage looks just look all the other to me! I'm starting to get the hang of it though. Ecrane, do you know anything about the hyacinth seeds?

Kristie
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2007
11:06 PM

Post #3400060

Sorry, don't know anything about hyacinths, all I can do is guess on a couple things...first guess is if you start them from seed it'll probably take a couple years before you see blooms, and second guess (OK, this one's less of a guess) is there's a good chance they won't look exactly like the parent plant (if you had different color hyacinths growing together, the seeds will likely be a cross between some of your different colors, and even if your original hyacinths were all the same color, if they were a hybrid then they may not come true from seed). But it could be a fun experiment!
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2007
11:22 PM

Post #3400119

Yes, I think it will be a fun experiment. I had different colored hyacinths, but they weren't very close together. This is because I'm amazingly geometric and anal...I measured everything out to like an 1/8 of an inch...but then planted the rows crooked...hence the moving. I tried very hard to do the "scatter and plant" method...but just couldn't do it. I think I have a problem!

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2007
11:27 PM

Post #3400141

They don't have to be close together to cross-pollinate...pollinating insects can travel a ways, and even if it's wind blown pollen it could get across a garden bed without too much trouble. But even if they didn't cross-pollinate, you may still end up with different colors if the original hyacinths were hybrids.

And don't worry, you don't have a problem about wanting everything geometric, you like what you like and that's that!
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2007
11:38 AM

Post #3401225

Thanks for reassuring me about my geometrical tendencies. My family was making fun of me because I measured everything out. I sat down for probably about an hour trying to calculate how to get everything centered where I wanted it(there is a dang fence in the garden, NOT centered...so I was trying to get things to be spaced evenly but not meet the fence like 3/4 of the way...yes, I may have a problem..) I have promised myself that before I die, I will plant something to look "natural"...whether or not I can physically bring myself to do it, I don't know. lol. I am quite excited about the hyacinth seeds, I think it will be fun to see what happens. Thanks for the help!

Kristie
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2007
5:05 PM

Post #3418820

the seeds will take several years before they germinate or even get up to flowering size, you might get foilage though. bulbs are much quicker.
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2007
6:11 PM

Post #3418986

Hey, Len. Thanks. The seeds I'd gotten off of them I must have gotten too soon, because the next day they were smushy. There was one flower I left them on because they were still green, maybe I'll get some seeds from them. Also, what do you suggest using for labeling? I realized if I just wrote on some cardstock or something it would eventually get worn down and I still wouldn't know what was what...

Kristie
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2007
8:55 PM

Post #3419488

i bought some aluminum, dont know what u call them, plant labelers, they have 2 wires that stick in the ground with an aluminum tag on them u write on them with a lead pencil and stick in the ground. I think there are different sizes, I used them on the
84 roses I just planted because I would never remember what they were. but only use pencil, it shows up well and majic markers or inks tend to wash away, i bought at a local nursery. wal-mart has bags of plastic ones i bought earlier b4 i saw these but im afraid they would get brittle and break. buy the smallest though, mine looks a tad bit too much like an arbretum or something but hey, they'll get the job done
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2007
9:18 PM

Post #3419573

The Eon markers are very popular around here
http://www.eonindustries.com/index.html
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2007
9:28 PM

Post #3419616

Thanks once again for the info. You guys are full of knowledge! I'm gonna have to try to think of a question to stump you...be prepared!!!

Kristie
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2007
9:29 PM

Post #3419619

LOL. You can try to stump them but it will be VERY HARD.
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2007
9:30 PM

Post #3419625

lol...I will be studying...
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2007
9:31 PM

Post #3419630

yes, that's what I have the c style.
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2007
9:33 PM

Post #3419639

oh, oh...ok. if an unstoppable force meets an immovable object, what happens? Um...if there is a point A, B, and C and B is exactly in the middle of pts. A and B and you were able to travel from pt. A to pt. C in no time...would traveling from A to B be traveling back in time? Oh, and last, but not least...how do you get kids to pick up their toys?

Kristie
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2007
9:42 PM

Post #3419671

oh and good luck rearranging them, I doubt if you'll get them all!ha!
I'd just plant something else with or on top of them.
Last fall, I know your suppose to divide iris's in the summer, but they only had 2 blooms anyway, but I took them all out in a very small piece of this large patch,
this spring there is all kinds of new iris's growing there, almost looks like I didn't even
clean them all out! I don't have a clue where they came from. besides some seeds probably fell off the hyacinths anyway. good luck
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2007
9:45 PM

Post #3419685

Len, I know...when I planted the other ones last fall, I tried to dig up the ones that were already there...I got three. But, I did map out the area, so I at least know everything thats there...that way I will at least know what I couldn't find!

Kristie
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2007
9:46 PM

Post #3419690

well I might be able to answer 1 and 3.
if it's an unstoppable force then i guess it is just deflected off the immovable object and keeps going??
and for the toys to be picked up, let them trade it in for a new toy!
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2007
10:03 PM

Post #3419756

Well, on #1 I will add...unstoppable, undeflectable force(evil laughter, arched eyebrow). As far as the toys...they'd probably just trade one for six...then find all seven laying on the ground while they were destroying the rest of the house...lol.

Kristie
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2007
10:18 PM

Post #3419815

well if #1 is a political question and the U.S. is the unstoppable and undeflectable force and Iraq is the unmovable object, well I'll just have to wait and see the outcome on that one.
And as for the last one, I'd just trade their toys for some gardening paraphernalia and let them do your gardening for you ha
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2007
10:20 PM

Post #3419821

They'd love to do my gardening for me...they may be better at it! They already have gardening paraphenelia...they got some for easter...complete with little watering can, shovel, rake, and weed picker thingy...flower pots and seeds. Oh, and gardening gloves!! lol.

Kristie
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2007
10:23 PM

Post #3419838

that's so cute, how old are they? did you let them plant their own garden and pick out what to plant in it?
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2007
10:41 PM

Post #3419895

Two daughters...3 and 4. We haven't actually planted anything yet(well, a few seeds, here and there...and shasta daisies in their flower pots). I'm waiting to get the veggie garden tilled up so we can plant that. I don't have a lot of places to plant things as of yet, but I would like to let them have their own garden someday(when they're 20, my luck). I do have a tire that's used as a planter, they planted more daisies and some zinnias in it. They're always trying to dig stuff up, and my oldest wants to plant everything to make it grow...pinwheels, sticks, rocks...etc. And, she LOVES worms...last year she rounded up about five of them and stuck them in her play stroller and pushed them around. She also had a worm on the ground and had to "save" it from an approaching bug...she was afraid the bug would hurt her new friend. lol.

Kristie
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2007
10:51 PM

Post #3419938

lol
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

April 23, 2007
12:52 AM

Post #3420285

My 3 year old granddaughter is exactly the same - except that she picks her flowers by color. One day she was wearing a purple princess costume and I have a picture of her contemplating an orchid that was the same color as her dress. Her "pets" out here aren't worms though - they're geckos. You should have heard her howl when she thought she had broken one cuz his tale came off when she tried to pick him up. "I killed him...I killed him"... Had a hard time convincing her that he would grow another tail...then she wanted the tail so she could grow another gecko!!!!
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2007
1:08 AM

Post #3420328

lol sounds like the next geico insurance commercial to me!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America