Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: TEXAS HILL COUNTRY HELP!!!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 4, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MABARKER
Bandera, TX

April 17, 2007
10:44 AM

Post #3401086

Are there blooming plants that white tail deer will not eat? I live in Bandera, Texas and having trouble with the White Tail eating everything I plant.
Thanks,
Ma Barker
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2007
3:42 PM

Post #3401918

Here's a reference from Texas A&M:
http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/publications/deer.html
But before you get your hopes up, there are no plants that deer won't eat, there are just plants that they prefer less and are less likely to munch on except if there's nothing else readily available, then they'll make do with whatever's there.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 20, 2007
4:35 PM

Post #3412425

If you don't water the foliage you can spray them with hot pepper water or so I have heard. Asking the neighbors and the local garden center would help too.

Do deer eat geraniums?

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2007
5:00 PM

Post #3418810

are they eating and killing them or just pruning them for you?
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2007
5:55 AM

Post #3432015

During a bad winter deer will eat anything. Where I live, we put fence cages around all our young trees except up close to the house and did O.K. for the first two years. This last winter they came all the way up to our house and ate anything they could get to. Completely stripped two camellas, one sweetbay magnolia, all my Chinese fringe shrubs, Nandinas, you name it. Fortunately they are all making a comeback this spring. The lesson learned though is that during the winter, we will have to fence everything. We even plant a food plot for the deer but they had eaten it down so bad there was nothing left. Thanks goodness we have an elelctric fence around my flowerbeds around the house to keep the dogs out--worked with the deer too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America