Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Bulbs: Rembrandt tulips? Any in your garden?

Communities > Forums > Bulbs
bookmark
Forum: BulbsReplies: 24, Views: 351
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2007
12:08 PM

Post #3401320

Hi, Bulbsters!

I have been enjoying the pics of everyone's tulips posted on the Bulbs and Photo forums and then became especially interested in the 'broken' or heirloom style tulips, also known as Rembrandt type tulips--all part of the very interesting tulip bulb history.

(Which OHG did a very nice write-up on here: http://www.oldhousegardens.com/hortus.asp )

Anyway, I thought it might be fun to make a thread of photos of similar style tulips (bi-colors, multi-colors, etc.) and if we are lucky, perhaps some DGers will have actual heirloom bulbs to share pics of...

To get started, here is a link to the Hortus Bulborum in Holland with some lovely tulip pics and more history, for those who can't get enough. http://www.hortus-bulborum.nl/eng/tulpomanie-eng.html

To my happy surprise I found this lonely little unknown in my garden this morning. It must have sprouted from a pot of bulbs I threw away last year.

Any other pics or comments on heirloom tulips to post?

Great gardening today! t.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Click the image for an enlarged view.

This thread has 24 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!

Other Bulbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing Tuberose in CA SteveK 2 Aug 27, 2007 3:24 AM
hyacinth bulbs debi_z 12 Oct 31, 2007 11:48 AM
Supplier for caldium bulbs Bulk??? plantsdirect 10 Dec 28, 2010 9:42 AM
what are these and why don't they bloom? woodspirit1 24 Jun 25, 2009 7:40 PM
gardeners......... help!!!! stephanie_74 12 Jul 7, 2011 5:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America