Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: confused about hostas

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 17, Views: 269
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kdenowski
Crivitz, WI

April 17, 2007
7:34 PM

Post #3402594

Hi! I am attempting to order some hostas from Touch of Nature. They say that they provide the hostas as follows: Size: #1 division Plant: 1 Root Per 2 Sq Ft
What does that mean? Are they sending them bareroot? as a bulb? Thanks!
lylalevi

April 18, 2007
7:50 AM

Post #3403951

Yes...one pip. It is saying plant one every 2 square feet. It will take awhile for them to fill in that way. It also depends on which ones you are ordering...if it is Sum & Substance...you will need that room...but if Venusta..you won't. They come in so many different sizes and colors..literally thousands. It takes about three or four years for a Hosta to gain full size. If you don't want to wait ..plant them closer and move or divide when they get crowded for you...I like them close, but others may want them set apart.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2007
7:26 PM

Post #3406170

Is is ever advisable to sink a hosta into the soil while it's still in the pot to help control it's spread? I have a coupla run of the mill albomarginata in a small flowerbed. Just sat the pots on the soil, and I've been wondering what would happen if I just planted it, pot and all?
lylalevi

April 18, 2007
7:41 PM

Post #3406234

You could certainly do that. I have Hostas in containers (for years) and they do very well.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2007
7:43 PM

Post #3406243

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2007
7:46 PM

Post #3406252

gymgirl.

i was actually thinking of that today... but more to prevent voles from eating the roots, not for containment.
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2007
9:24 PM

Post #3438744

Do Hostas grow well under pine trees with all the tree roots? I'm about to receive my first Hostas and the only shady area are under the pines.
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2007
9:42 AM

Post #3440099

Cord
I have hosta planted under pine trees. No problem here. I do try not to plant too close to the trunk of the tree where the roots are thickest. I also try to adjust my planting space if I run into a big root. You will have to keep up on the watering, though. Competition can be fierce, you know. Also, try mixing your plantings with some really tough stuff. Rhodea will take root competition well. See PDN site for more info http://plantdelights.com
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2007
4:22 PM

Post #3441125

Thanks, I was confused about Hostas too. I'll start digging again farther out from the trunk. That was my problem, too close to the trunk.
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2007
5:39 PM

Post #3441323

Good luck with your garden. I have been putting some of my hosta 'collection' under pine. They are mixed with lots of other shady things like ferns, columbines, and some coral bells. Everything looks great so far. I love the look of everything nestled among the pine straw.
kathy1955
Mchenry, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2007
9:16 AM

Post #3461774

i have 75 ft tall pines and grass wont grow so its hostas ,lungwort, bleeding heart, hydrangias, ferns, epimedium, dead nettle, coral bells etc. itry something different every year. watering is a must as tggfist says! i have soaker hoses under the pine mulch.
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2007
5:40 PM

Post #3463210

Soaker hoses are a great idea. Unfortunatley for me, the dogs tend to dig the hoses and bite them. Then the holes are a littttle too big...they're drowner hoses. I'll just have to bite the bullet and pull out the hose frequently. I have some shamrocks back there, too. The little pink or white flowers are charming. The purple ones look good next to hostas!
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2007
7:15 AM

Post #3464808

tggfisk,
Before you pull up all your soaker hoses, try this (I have a dog who like to eat them too). Buy some landscape staples and tack the hose to the ground--put the staples fairly close, every couple of feet or so. This makes it where the dogs can't get a good grip to pull the hose up where they can chew on it. Next, buy a big can of the cheapest black pepper you can find and sprinkle it liberally all around your flower bed. They get a good snootful of that and they won't want to go there anymore. Good luck.
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2007
12:41 PM

Post #3465578

Great idea, NL. Maybe a snootfull of pepper would keep them away from the tree with the baby birds, too.
Bev
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2007
12:15 PM

Post #3468470

Hopefully it will. I had some doves nest in one of my trees several years ago and couldn't keep my cats away. I modified my own idea by making up some little "sachets" full of pepper and hung them in several branches--worked like a charm! I put them just above the first crotch in the tree where the cats naturally wanted to stop in their climb to the top.
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2007
8:29 PM

Post #3473687

That's a fantastic idea! I'll let you know how it works on the dogs. I don't really have to worry about cats...or rabbits...or voles...or other dogs. These two really patrol the grounds:)
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2007
9:40 PM

Post #3477472

I have a whirlwind hosta, and its doing good this year. The only problem is that most of the leaves have a slash right through the middle. I think this happened because of the second freeze we had...I didn't protect it. Do you think this could be the problem, and if so, should I remove the leaves or leave them? They don't look too bad and last year slugs got it so I cut off the damaged leaves thinking new ones would grow...they didn't. But, that was in late summer. I want mine to flower and seed...I want to try to wintersow the seeds...any stories on wintersowing hostas would be appreciated too.

Thanks.
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2007
7:24 PM

Post #3480715

kls, there's lots of info and expertise on the hosta forum. You should check it out. Lots of those folks wintersow. As for the torn leaves, I have that sometimes, too. In my case, it's the dogs that like to lie on newly emerging hostas. I usually just 'leave' them alone. (sorry, bad pun) As long as neither the dogs or the hostas are permanently harmed, it's ok by me:)
Bev

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America