Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: question about fungicide

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
shorty68

April 18, 2007
10:57 AM

Post #3404580

I have thyme planted near rose bushes. Is the thyme still edible if I spray my rose bushes with fungicide?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2007
1:05 PM

Post #3404982

It depends on both the fungicide and how long of a time elapses between when you spray the roses and when you're planning to harvest and eat the thyme. If it's going to be a really long time before you pick it then you probably don't have to worry too much unless it's a systemic fungicide that you're applying to the roses. Otherwise, if you're planning to eat the thyme soon, then you need to use a bit more caution. I'm not as familiar with fungicides as I am with insecticides, but I know with insecticides there are some that are approved for pre-harvest use on crops, and the label would have directions about how many days before harvest you're allowed to use it. I would think fungicides would have the same sort of restrictions. Personally I wouldn't eat the thyme anyway if there was any chance that a fungicide got on it, but that's just me!

Some people say that baking soda is effective against mildew and black spot on roses, that would definitely leave the thyme fine to eat so you might try an approach like that first and then consider the fungicide if that doesn't work.
crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2007
8:05 AM

Post #3407598

If your problem is mildew / blackspot, here are some suggestions I have received from Tv and some of the fine folks on the rose forum here at DG: Never overhead water, trying to keep the foliage dry. 2. only water in the morning, so they get time to dry. 3. Remove infected leaves and clean any debris from the surrounding area. 4. when you spray use 1 tsp baking soda to a quart of water, or ,you can use 3 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp dish soap to a gallon of water to double as an insectiside. Only spray in the morning about once a week. Sometimes I spray a little more, and It doesn't seem to hurt anything! These are preventative measures so I will have to start early in the season. ...There are hundreds of resorces on this subject on the internet. And the baking soda and soap can be used on edibles too! ... Good luck!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America