Photo by Melody
We want to hear from you! Please take this short, anonymous survey to help us improve the DG home page.

Organic Gardening: mulcher help

Communities > Forums > Organic Gardening
Forum: Organic GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 101
Add to Bookmarks
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

April 21, 2007
1:05 PM

Post #3415302

Good day friends!!
I have built my mulcher and it does not perform the way I need it too. Does anyone have any suggestions on what type to purchase for home use? Realising that I have to buy one in the US and have it shipped to the Cayman Islands. Soil is non existant here and I am trying to compost to make soil, or enrich the ground here. I have access to lots of brown and green materials to add to the mix, just a real shortage of soil, dirt, to make it happen.

Thanks for the advise,

Gilbert, AZ

May 28, 2007
4:43 AM

Post #3543868

What seems to be the problem with your mulcher? So you're working with sand?
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2007
12:44 AM

Post #3612223

Hi John:

I remember that "soil" from Grand Turk! I've read that kelp, which you should have in abundance, makes great compost, in spite of the salt.

I've found I don't actually need "soil to make it happen" in my compost bins. I use a lot of newspaper (shredded and sheets), along with kitchen scraps, weeds, and manure from my rabbit. Oh, and patience.

Do you have access to earthworms? A worm bin might be just the thing to kick-start your project! You might be able to order the bin and the worms online---not sure how the shipping downrange would go, but I'm sure you could find a worm wrangler willing to work with you.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Organic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America