Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Organic Gardening: mulcher help

Communities > Forums > Organic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Organic GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 101
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

April 21, 2007
1:05 PM

Post #3415302

Good day friends!!
I have built my mulcher and it does not perform the way I need it too. Does anyone have any suggestions on what type to purchase for home use? Realising that I have to buy one in the US and have it shipped to the Cayman Islands. Soil is non existant here and I am trying to compost to make soil, or enrich the ground here. I have access to lots of brown and green materials to add to the mix, just a real shortage of soil, dirt, to make it happen.

Thanks for the advise,

john
Crista
Gilbert, AZ

May 28, 2007
4:43 AM

Post #3543868

What seems to be the problem with your mulcher? So you're working with sand?
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2007
12:44 AM

Post #3612223

Hi John:

I remember that "soil" from Grand Turk! I've read that kelp, which you should have in abundance, makes great compost, in spite of the salt.

I've found I don't actually need "soil to make it happen" in my compost bins. I use a lot of newspaper (shredded and sheets), along with kitchen scraps, weeds, and manure from my rabbit. Oh, and patience.

Do you have access to earthworms? A worm bin might be just the thing to kick-start your project! You might be able to order the bin and the worms online---not sure how the shipping downrange would go, but I'm sure you could find a worm wrangler willing to work with you.

Janet

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Organic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Miracle Gro darius 70 May 14, 2013 6:35 AM
Not Gardening, but Organic information darius 14 Feb 20, 2008 9:10 PM
pumpkins & borers roseofkaren 25 Feb 24, 2008 8:39 PM
Brewer's grain vs. Alfalfa meal/pellets for amendments? tabasco 9 Nov 3, 2008 6:36 PM
Raised beds & soil-borne disease sfk 9 Apr 6, 2008 4:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America