Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: 'White Robe' Hydrangea

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 8, Views: 89
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2007
6:15 PM

Post #3415931

Anyone know anything about White Robe Hydrangea?

Kristie
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2007
6:33 PM

Post #3415970

I don't know much about it, but I believe it's a cultivar of H. macrophylla which blooms on old wood, so in your zone if you don't protect it over the winter you're unlikely to see very many blooms, the buds tend to get zapped by late frosts in the colder zones. So while the plant itself is hardy it won't bloom much unless you protect it from those late frosts.
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2007
7:11 PM

Post #3416067

Thanks Ecrane... I'm pretty sure it is a cultivar of H. macrophylla(not that I know what that means). I'm assuming it should be planted in partial/full shade? Also, does the acidity of the soil affect white hydrangeas? I don't think it does, but wasn't sure...

Kristie
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2007
7:22 PM

Post #3416084

If you plant it in full shade it won't bloom as well, they do best with some AM sun (make sure it's not getting sun in the hottest part of the day though, otherwise it'll be constantly wilting on you). White hydrangeas do stay white so you probably won't see too much variation with this one.
wildgardengirl
Gregory, MI

May 2, 2007
2:40 PM

Post #3455501

Hey ecrane, would too much shade be the reason my aunt's blue hydrangeas won't flower? Or could it be the late frosts? She says her white ones do just fine. I've no idea what cultivar - my assumption would be H. Macrophylla "Nikko Blue" since that seems to be the most commonly sold.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2007
3:28 PM

Post #3455674

What zone is she in? If she lives near you it's much more likely that it's late frosts, in zones 5 and sometimes 6 if you don't protect them for the winter, all/most of the buds on hydrangeas that bloom on old wood (Nikko Blue would fall in this category) will get frozen off pretty much every year and you'll never see blooms. She needs to either protect them, or replace them with cultivars like 'Endless Summer' that bloom on new as well as old wood, then it doesn't matter what happens to the buds over the winter. The white ones are likely a different species like H. paniculata or H. arborescens which are more cold hardy and bloom on new wood so they'll do fine in colder climates.
wildgardengirl
Gregory, MI

May 3, 2007
1:07 PM

Post #3459105

Thanks ecrane!
She is in the same zone as me, so I had a guess that it was frosts getting to them. I'm thinking of adding some hydrangeas, and I wanted to find out what the cause of my aunt's complaint was before I had the same problems!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2007
3:02 PM

Post #3459413

If you want the least amount of trouble/maintenance, I would go for the reblooming H. macrophyllas (like 'Endless Summer'), or H. paniculata or H. arborescens since those will all bloom on new wood. The others bloom on old wood and you'll have to be careful about protecting them every winter so they're probably not worth the effort unless there's one that you just absolutely love.
wildgardengirl
Gregory, MI

May 4, 2007
2:22 PM

Post #3462667

I just like the look of hydrangea in general - those big mops of flower!
I'll definitely look for "Endless Summer" - I'm a bit of a lazy gardner, and prefer things that can take care of themselves with minimal effort on my part. :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America