Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Grass and Bamboo: What to plant with grasses?

Communities > Forums > Grass and Bamboo
bookmark
Forum: Grass and BambooReplies: 4, Views: 78
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
darbyo
Murphysboro, IL
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2007
9:31 PM

Post #3416447

This spring is my second year with grasses. I've been trying a few different kinds to see what works best on my south facing hill. I now realize that after cutting them back in early spring, they are just tan "humps" for now and the next month or so. I am looking for suggestions for plants that will fill in the gaps around them, for now, but won't interfere with them when they start to grow. I am imagining daffodils and grape hyacinths, but am looking for other suggestions from the wise people of this forum. What do you interplant with grasses that dies back in time for the grasses to be center stage? Something tall enough to hide the humps!
donn
Great South Bay, Lon, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2007
10:23 AM

Post #3417769

Spring flowering bulb go well with grasses, because the grasses will hide the declining foliage of the bulbs. Daffs in back of the grasses, and maybe Daylilys in front.
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

April 24, 2007
5:11 PM

Post #3426338

The combination of sedums and grasses is one of my very most favorites.
darbyo
Murphysboro, IL
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2007
6:44 PM

Post #3426609

Thank you both, I am open to all new ideas. And I see that the two sedums I have are beginning to fill out now, which will help fill in the bare spots. What about irises? Is it possible to cut back the iris foliage after they bloom? To make way for the fullness of the grass.

I have some prairie dropseed and I see that they are filling out already. The little bluestem are still tan humps. I guess I need to learn the characteristics of all the grasses I try!
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

April 24, 2007
7:35 PM

Post #3426787

PD and LB are small grasses, they will both coexist just fine with irises, there is no need to cut your irises down!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Grass and Bamboo Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bamboo stakes tiG 10 Nov 3, 2011 1:16 PM
Black bamboo question linden 51 Aug 6, 2008 3:15 PM
Hardy bamboos at zone 6 Esther_z6 21 May 6, 2008 12:31 AM
A few clumps of my grass :) hczone6 32 Sep 5, 2007 2:47 AM
Bamboo Seedling Speedyg 2 Feb 16, 2008 3:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America