Photo by Melody

Winter Sowing: Poll: What DIDN'T germinate?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 64, Views: 632
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
zone5girl
Painesville, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2007
9:31 PM

Post #3416448

I think that most of us are pretty pleased with how our WS turned out this year, especially those of us who tried it for the first time. Some of my containers had 100% germination (I kept track of how many seeds were in each container), others had very little, and some had none. What are some of the ones that did not do well for you (as of yet)? I had had no germination of any columbines (3 different seed packets...even different brands), only 1 sweet pea seed out of 20 (the rest rotted), allium cernuum (5 containers...no germ...although I did read that germ is irregular and can take months). I also had several containers where only 1 seed out of 5 germ...I'll have to check my chart to see specifically which ones. Tamara

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2007
10:19 PM

Post #3416638

tamara,

since i'm out of town right now, i cant check my containers or my "sheets" til tomorrow... but one thing i know did not germinate is the Bean Vines I had. 5 seeds = 5 moldy seeds. total failure... i soaked them as i read to do... and the beans molded.

but -- i do think that was the only thing that did not germinate for me... some things are not doing well, but they sprouted.

terese
Pameliap
Florence, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2007
10:42 PM

Post #3416706

I didn't keep track of how many seed I sowed - just containers.

So far, nothing from -
Agapanthus - white and blue
Blackberry lily
Campanula Latifolia
2 kinds of Delphinium
Blue Hibiscus (four others germinated and these were old seed)
Hollyhock double pink (four others germinated)
Hosta sieboldiana
Kniphofia
Lavender
Ligularia
one rudbeckia (three others germinated)
Allium Christophii
Allium Heavenly Blue

I'm just leaving them be while I plant out everything else.

PhlowrsInPhilly
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2007
1:11 PM

Post #3418218

Tamara-
Here is my list of things that didn't germinate-
First off, although I got at leaste one seed to germinate, out of all the Columbine seeds I planted (almost the whole pack) I only have ONE seedling. I planted Lupines as well, and only two of those are up- and one is WAY smaller than the other.
Of my other types of seeds, most of which were pretty hardy stuff- the only things I don't have germination in are the Orlaya Grandiflora and the Bells of Ireland.
I was kind of chicken in my winter sowing, since it was my first year of it- so I did a lot of things that I have found to be hardy, like Zinnias, Bachelor Buttons and Marigolds.
But overall, this winter sowing was a great success for me- I ended up with at least 4 or 5 of almost everything I planted, as well as a bazillion Bachelor Buttons and Marigolds- for next year I will definitely have to wintersow less of those LOL.
Samantha
zone5girl
Painesville, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2007
3:29 PM

Post #3418523

That's funny...I had no problems with the lupines, but I haven't had any zinnias or marigolds germinate yet! Isn't it weird how that works out? Tamara
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2007
3:43 PM

Post #3418555

Tamara I was thinking the same thing about the marigolds. I had saved so many seeds that I planted (and replanted) them like crazy. I FINALLY got about a dozen of them going inside but none of my WS containers sprouted.

Here's my No-Go List:
Sugar Snap Peas (I suspect mine rotted as well...note to self: more drainage holes next year)
Yucca
Zebra Grass
Marigolds
Chinese Foxglove (Ebay seed...the seed I saved from my own foxglove came up like a chia pet)
Bells of Ireland
Annual Salvia
Lantana

kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2007
8:46 PM

Post #3419453

I have poor germination so far on echinacea (3 types), columbine, burgundy gaillardia, baloon flowers, and, of all things, amaranthus perfecta, and a few more that I can't recall.

Still holding out hope though.

Karen
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2007
8:50 PM

Post #3419473

I think it's a bit early still. Lots more will germinate now that the temps are warming up. I usually reevaluate my ws containers in June.
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2007
8:58 PM

Post #3419503

My W/S failures are: 2 out of 3 columbines containers did not germinate, along with the poppies both CA and Flanders Field, Yet the poppies sown on the snow germinated. Other non germinating are orange globe amanranthus,heliopsis helanthoides, balloon flowers, dames rocket and most of the larkspur with only 4 seedlings transplanted out. However, I am very happy with my W/Sing results and definitely will W/S next year.

This message was edited Apr 22, 2007 7:59 PM
PhlowrsInPhilly
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2007
7:58 AM

Post #3420688

That is so funny about the Marigolds- I'll definitely not need to sow any of those in my spring sowing- I think I have 10 or 20 of five types!
And the Bells of Ireland too- I haven't had any luck with mine yet. We'll see if they come up for us with the warmer weather and hotter sun.
Echinacea I didn't wintersow, but I started indoors- they are doing quite well in an aluminum baking pan, and are working on their second set of true leaves. I am really impressed with their steady growth, and while so many of my indoor starts got leggy, the Echinacea are nice and stout!
Samantha
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2007
8:19 AM

Post #3420746

Oh, yeah, only one Bells of Ireland sprout here too. My seeds were from 2005 though so my expectations were not great.

Karen
zone5girl
Painesville, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2007
11:03 AM

Post #3421269

Seems that a lot of people didn't have luck with Bells of Ireland. I've read that they can be pretty challenging. Heck, I have trouble with the ones that are supposed to be easy! Tamara
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2007
11:50 AM

Post #3421430

Mine are up Tamara! The Bells of Ireland that is. Actually they were up when I posted yesterday, but my dear brother moved my containers one day last week and a couple of the tops got mixed up (another note to self: label the bottoms as well as the tops next year). I too have heard that they're difficult to get started, but last year I started them in the house with no problem and now I've got them in my WS container as well. Maybe I'm just lucky?
gdionelli
Huntington, WV
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2007
8:55 PM

Post #3427061

Green Apples is the only aquilegia that hasn't sprouted for me.
Clethra alnifolia "hummingbird"
dicentra eximia
achillea "Coronation Gold"
rudbeckia "Golden Glow"
clintonia borealis
white liatris
trollius europaeus
couple types of bee balm
astrantia "Rose Symphony" (I've heard it's hard)
pink salvia
goatsbeard
armeria formosa
helenium Wyndley
redbud (can be feisty)
pyrethrum "James Kelway"

Sounds like a terrible list, but I already have 61 containers sprouted, and some others that haven't been planted long enough to sprout. I'm sure some of these will eventually come through.

Elizabeth
Brent_In_NoVa
Sterling, VA
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2007
11:04 PM

Post #3427596

I am not counting anything out, but out of the 37 containers here are the 9 so far that have not spouted along with the date sown (I think I saw some tiny sprouts in one of the vinca containers):

Salvia forsskaolii, 2/18/07
Rudbeckia hirta 'Autumn Colors', 2/18/07
Daylily (parent 'Strawberry Candy'), 2/18/07
Rudbeckia fulgida - Black Eyed Susan, 2/22/07
Hosta (parent Frances Williams), 2/22/07
Ceratotheca triloba - South African Foxglove, 3/23/07
Millet 'Purple Majesty', 3/23/07
Catharanthus roseus - Vinca, 3/23/07
Catharanthus roseus - Vinca, 3/23/07

- Brent
Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 24, 2007
11:54 PM

Post #3427771

I have Bells of Ireland sprouts today, maybe three. They were sown in a milk jug on March 6th. Woo hoo!

Joanne

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2007
1:09 PM

Post #3429326

my other "non" germinations are:

skyscraper sunflower (my others germinated fine)
Blue Wave petunias
Sandvine Milkweed
marigolds
datura

all else germinated...
zone5girl
Painesville, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2007
1:12 PM

Post #3429335

Cleome made a liar out of me. Just germ. today! Tamara
PhlowrsInPhilly
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2007
2:10 PM

Post #3429540

And the Bells of Ireland are laughing at me as well- today I found a few of them have germinated, although at this point they're just the tiniest of sprouts poking out of the seed hulls. Grow guys grow!!!
Samantha
Tammylp
Lima, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2007
9:50 PM

Post #3431135

This is a germination update I journaled last week; will need updated this week, but too rainy today. The first half of the list shows # which is a label and the count of sprouts. The second half show just a number which is the count. I have done poorly with Sweet Peas, and my Columbine is also slow; but it is slow germinating inside also--but is now germinating. The convolvulus has done poor also, as well as larkspur, and others...

-still only 1 Convolvulus Flash
-8 Convolvulus Enchantment, 6 very wilted ones
-6 Gentian Blue in 2 peat pots, none in pellets which were moved from inside
-a few each of Northstar and Fruit Basket Pepper, just emerging in juice container #26
#3 4 Bachelor Buttons from 35 seeds, 1st set of leaves
#4 No Mammoth Choice Sweet Pea
#5 No Persian Coneflower
#6 1 Everlasting Pea and 1 emerging
#7 8 Beebalm, very small
#8 8 Coneflower, some emerging
#9 2 Hollyhock C. Rosy Red, small
#10 3 Hollyhock C. Yellow, small
#11 10 Hollyhock C.Blush, larger
#12 No Cupids Dart (15 seeds)
#13 No Aubrieta Whitewall Gem
#14 No Flax, Coffee Mate Canister
#16 milk jug, lof of herbs, German Chamomile, RedowskiTerragon, Corriander/Cilantro, Marjoram
#19 No Summer Blues Larkspur
#24 5 tomato Roma
1 tomato Keepsake
8 Big Boy
4 Loveheart
a few dead tomato seedlings

-32 Cherry Blossom Viscaria, small
-Sweet Peas - 5 diff., only one sprout - Appleblossom
-No Moonflowers
-5 only Lavatera White Chrub in sq. peat pots
-Lots of Mountain Phlox
-Lots of Snapdragons, Black Prince
-20 Malope Glacier Fruits, about half
-11 English Daisy White Ball ermerged
-No Blue Star Laurentia
-27 Cosmos Little Princess, 1st set of real leaves beginning
-4 Shasta Silver Princess just emerged
-2 Dianthus Pinks Brilliant just emerged
-Lots of Arugula, has1st set of leaves
-No Pepper Fruit Basket or Pepper Northstar with Arugula from 3/15 in sm HD tub
-Lots of Thyme
-No Aubrieta Whitewall Gem
-16 Wild Parsley
-17 Moss Parsley
-1 Lupine Pixie
-No Portulaca
-1 seedling (of the three diff. Columbines)
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2007
8:09 AM

Post #3439818

definitely too early to give up - this is a pretty long list, but I had 9 new things yesterday so I'm not discouraged.

I don't think it's been warm enough for tomatoes, but I have backups in the house that are doing well.

columbine - planted 7 varieties, have just a couple of seedlings so far
same here on the convolvulus - one seedling
burgundy gaillardia - one seedling

no germ yet

gentian
astrantia
beardtongue
wood betony
butterfly bush
asclepias (tuberosa, curassavica,fruticosa, incarnata)
chaste tree
celosia
asarina
dwarf crape myrtle
cup & saucer vine
hardy cyclamen
delphinium
wild geranium
iceplant
joe pye weed
knautia
lavender
dwarf marigold
maypop
moonflower
monkshood
pearly everlasting
potentilla
prairie smoke
rose campion
sea holly
spicebush
turk's cap lily
zone5girl
Painesville, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2007
8:49 AM

Post #3439918

Hey, I just noticed it was your bday! HAPPY BIRTHDAY Grampapa! Hope today is a wonderful gardening day for you. :-) Tamara
PhlowrsInPhilly
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2007
10:04 PM

Post #3442141

Thought I would share that I now have SEVEN Bells of Ireland seedlings :-) And there is 1 more very tiny seedling in my Columbines... for a total of two of those.

And Happy Birthday Grampapa!
Samantha
Tammylp
Lima, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2007
11:31 PM

Post #3442373

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRAMPAPA!!! How many times a grandpapa? Does it keep you young or age you?
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2007
7:56 AM

Post #3442879

thanks for the b'day wishes, folks! I am the gram half of grampapa (aka jan). my dgd's are 18 and almost 13. these girls are the light of my life. I should say I was a very young grandma...39 when the first was born. so I'm not quite as old as it sounds. and I am officially retiring in a few weeks which is also very exciting because it leaves me free to play in the dirt ;0)

today is supposed to be a warm sunny day...hoping for more germination!
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2007
12:26 AM

Post #3446224

Happy Belated salutations Jan! I trust you had a wonderful day yesterday. I do envy your upcoming retirement and wish you much joy in the coming years.

La
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2007
11:56 AM

Post #3450945

thanks much, Lala. I did have a wonderful day. In fact, I celebrated all weekend!

and I've finally got a seedling on the SEA HOLLY :0) I followed the directions and had it in my fridge and on top of a warm lamp, etc because I didn't know if the wintersowing would provide it the range of temps it would need.

also saw some babies in the iceplant jug. there may be others

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2007
2:22 PM

Post #3483399

anyone have Datura germinate? none of mine.
I still have a bunch of seeds left though... maybe just toss'em out in the field.
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2007
2:26 PM

Post #3483413

None of mine did either - but I sowed them inside. I am still hopeful :-)

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2007
2:31 PM

Post #3483434

found this
[quote]Soak the seeds from 24-72 hours, then carefully peel off the seed's shell. Plant the seed at a depth of about twice its thickness. If you're germinating the seeds in the winter, use a heating pad as I've described in the general growing tips. If you're germinating them during the summer, choose a relatively cool spot. They like the soil to be around 70-72 F. Seeds can take 1-8 weeks to germinate.
[/quote]

from this page ... http://www.alchemy-works.com/datura_info.html

i may try again... there was also a thread on the GW forum. I just googled "germinating datura"
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2007
2:47 PM

Post #3483478

D#mn! who knew? Thanks for the info.
zone5girl
Painesville, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2007
3:22 PM

Post #3483565

No, my WS datura never germ. either and the ones I did inside are on the verge of death. Guess they don't like me too much! Tamara

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2007
4:21 PM

Post #3483716

well, the gal i gave seeds to, she had 2 germinate. so at least i know my seeds aren't duds.

sounds they like to be "warm", so i many try a foil dish (that i had my morning glories in) and set it on concrete to help keep it warm. (think i read that in the GardenWeb thread)

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2007
11:57 AM

Post #3499286

well, my wave petunias will never germinate now... yesterday in the high winds -- that was the only one that blew away *sigh* i still had hope for them until i saw the container not where it should be... and potting soil everywhere... oh well.
Bonnylynn
Calais, ME
(Zone 4b)

May 19, 2007
11:43 AM

Post #3513476

I started my datura inside (cheating for this thread I know, but I really wanted them). I planted 3 containers with 2 seeds each and have 4 seedlings with their true leaves.
As for what hasn't germinated in my winter sown collection;

columbine...so disappointed
black eyed susan...also so disappointed
hollyhock...they were old seeds
butterfly weed
campanula "white bell"
geranium "pratense"
scabiosa "butterfly blue"

Out of about 65 varieties...this is all I don't have seedlings from...yet! Since it's been such a weird spring I haven't given up hope.

Bonny
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2007
2:39 PM

Post #3513869

I have columbine coming out my ears! don't give up on those :-)
zone5girl
Painesville, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 19, 2007
7:26 PM

Post #3514401

I ended up getting one columbine seedling which bit the dust when I missed 1 day of watering. grrrr... In fact, out of 70-80 containers, I had at least 25-30 that no germination or just 1 seedling. To clarify, there weren't 70-80 different types of plants...I had several containers of the same seed and some of them are known to germinate erratically. Others, though, are supposedly easy and I still didn't have much luck...especially with those sown in January. Tamara
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2007
11:49 AM

Post #3516184

Too bad you are in Ohio - I gave away 12 columbine seedlings yesterday, with plenty to spare.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2007
11:58 AM

Post #3516199

Overall I had lower germination this year than last. Some seeds were several years old- like gazania, 2 jugs, no germination. Same with Bells of Ireland- old seeds, only 3 seedlings from 2 jugs. Cleome sparkler, fresh seeds, produced only 3 seedlings and the creature from hell ate one of those after planting out. Gaillardia goblin- a couple year old seeds, 0 germination. Gaillardia burgundy, 3 seedlings, and the creature ate one of those too. Platycodon only 1 seedling, fresh seeds. Echinacea fresh seeds, only a few seedlings (2 magnus, 1 doppelganger). No germination on salvia patens, fresh seeds from T&M, but excellent germination on coral nymph and Yvonne's salvia. I'm afraid to plant them out for fear of the creature destroying those, too. I had low germination, but did get a few, from Park's hotline salvia blue and red.

I think the weather this year has been a real limiting factor.

Karen

larlienda
Strasburg, VA
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2007
12:20 PM

Post #3516240

creature?
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2007
1:43 AM

Post #3518289

The creature from hell visits my garden every night. It has eaten so many things- 1 of my 2 burgundy gaillardia, a gaillardia goblin, one of only 3 cleome, many of the zinnia, some blue flax, larkspur, catchfly, I've lost track. Most mornings I discover the damage. With some zinnia, a 3 or 4 inch seedling just completely vanished, roots and all. I'm blaming this on maybe a rabbit, but I honestly don't know.

He, or some other creature also digs holes, sometimes unearthing plants and leaving them on top of soil. Sometimes there is no plant involved- just a hole. I don't think rabbits do that. I'm really frustrated and discouraged. And I'm not quite through planting out.

I keep sprinkling blood meal. I've also put out nearly 2 POUNDS of cayenne. Yes, I meant pounds.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Tammylp
Lima, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 21, 2007
1:52 AM

Post #3518310

Sounds like the raccoon I just caught today in a Have-a-heart type trap and relocated. Every morning my pots on the deck were emptied, the new plants in the yard were dug up, and my winter sowing was dumped. I had been hulliing everything in the garage at night--too much work!!! Between the raccoons dumping and the groundhogs eating, I am beginning to wonder if it is worth the effort...

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2008
11:43 PM

Post #4534915

Looking back, I had a few that just did not germinate

Sandvine Milkweed
Datura, white
Cup Plant

others did not germinate, but it was due to the seeds molding, or the fact that I soaked the seeds and probably should not have. Those were Morning Glories. and other seeds that just molded were, Sunflowers and a Bean Vine.
Fairy1004
(bestest fairy)Tempe, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2008
1:23 PM

Post #4536567

I did Datura last year and got about 2/3 germ.-I did not WS, in May I just put the seeds where I wanted them, covered lightly w/ soil and made sure they got A LOT of water-it took about 3-4 weeks, but then they were ther. After they were about 10" high, they jsut grew like weeds-just an FYI in case it helps anyone...I didn't do all that other stuff!! They were the easiest thing I grew!! Also, I put them in about Mother's Day and in a place that got about 75% sun during the course of the day!!
LorraineR
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2008
4:18 AM

Post #4540441

I haven't had any datura or columbines come up either. I have about 1000 bachelor buttons too and marigold too.
A lot of things won't come up because too many stupid things have happened. The dog dragging milk jugs all over the yard, me knocking them over, etc, etc. So most of my non germinating will be my own fault!!
I lost my wave petunias too because as I was taking them outside I dropped the container. I'm sure I'll have them coming up, but in all the wrong places.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2008
2:08 PM

Post #4541324

>>The dog dragging milk jugs all over the yard, me knocking them over, etc, etc.

Lorraine -- this is one reason i use card board boxes or laundry baskets. If i just plunked milk jugs in the snow... the dog would certainly think it's his toy.
LorraineR
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2008
3:57 AM

Post #4544761

I learned that lesson too. I thought I had the milkjugs in a place he wouldn't find them, but..., so mine are all in boxes and bins and laundry baskets now
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2008
2:34 PM

Post #4545613

you know what irked me. I planted a bunch of hollyhocks, some I bought and some I traded for. the ones I traded for all germinated great. nothing on the bought seeds. I wintersowed them...all the same.
LorraineR
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2008
7:22 PM

Post #4546855

kqcrna, there's no way that creature was not at your house. Couldn't have abeen he was here turning some of my leaves brown.
Must have been his brother. I've heard it's a really big family.
arachide
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2008
1:23 AM

Post #4548322

grampapa: What a shame about your hollyhocks. I love them and always wintersow a bunch. Never had a problem with the purchased ones and most of the time I get blooms the first summer.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2008
1:26 PM

Post #4549588

Lorraine: I wondered what you were talking about. I had to go back to the top of the thread. I didn't realize this was resurrected from last April.

Karen

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2008
1:32 PM

Post #4549612

Karen -- I 'resurrected' it when i was looking for good old threads...this one had a lot of seeds that may have been difficult to germinate.

and, some southerners are getting germination, where us up in the cold north, wont get any for a while.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2008
1:53 PM

Post #4549699

Yes, those southerners do like to show off at this time of year, don't they!

As an update on my above reports of poor germination:

Echinacea: can take a long time and I get sick of falling over milk jugs, eventually dumping ungerminated ones into my garden beds. After dumping echinacea last year, I had 3 more pop up in a flower bed. Since I sowed both double decker and magnus, I don't know yet what kind they are. So I got a total of 6 new echinacea last year.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna

kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2008
2:00 PM

Post #4549714

Also, I did eventually get a few amaranthus perfecta, cleome sparkler, columbine origami (far less germination on origami than McKana's the year before). The balloon flowers never did germinate and only 2 burgundy gaillardia.

Gaillardia, though I love them, don't like me. It remains my true booger plant. I get very poor germination. If I can get them to germinate, they're beautiful for one summer, but rarely survive winter. I don't think they like my wet clay in winter time.

My booger plant!

Karen
arachide
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2008
3:30 PM

Post #4550033

LOL at Karen's booger plant. These are mine, too. I have heavy clay soil and I assume that's the problem here. I treat them like annuals now. It's very disappointing because I love the shade of the burgundy.

Isn't it funny how different everyone's germination can be? I am not sowing any echinacea this year because the last two years I did I got so much germination I can't even give them away anymore. Cleome and balloon flowers were also great for me. However, I got zero on liatris, 2 seedlings of delphinium and maybe 3 or 4 of salvia. Guess which ones I really wanted?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2008
4:02 PM

Post #4550179

this will be interesting...

i have the Burgandy Gaillardia. Echinacea germinated OK for me last year, so they should bloom this summer [ i did get 1 flower last year] I also now have Cleome and balloon flower... so we shall see how they all do for me. Where i'm planting is old corn fields, so it's not the clay, like i have around my house.

and the ironic thing is... where my house is, used to be corn fields ... and of course they scrape the good soil away and leave the crap clay.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2008
5:02 PM

Post #4550455

Sometimes the seed itself is undoubtedly the problem, too. Like I said common cleome germinated fine, sparkler series was poor. Zilch on ballon flowers, so I'm going to try later this year. It's new seed, from a different trader.

As of this morning, one of my 2 burgundy gaillardias still shows some sign of green, the other looks dead.

And my salvia were spectacular.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna

Susan_C
Alameda, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 17, 2008
5:08 PM

Post #4550482

Out of 120 varieties last year, 19 didn't germinate.

Adlumia fungosa, "Climbing Fumitory"
Asperula orientalis, "Blue Woodruff"

Campanula glomerata, "Clustered Bellflower" -'Odessa' -The person I traded with didn't know how old these seeds were. Campanulas usually come up like gangbusters, so I think these were duds.

Cimicifuga ramosa, "Black Cohosh" -'Pink Spike' -Apparently, this germinates best with a warm period, followed by cold, followed by warm and can take up to 2 years to germinate.

Cyphomandra Betacea, "Tree Tomato"

Digitalis parviflora, "Milk Chocolate" Foxglove -Think the seeds were duds; Foxgloves usually germinate quickly and well.

Pelargonium grossularioides, "Coconut Scented Geranium"

Impatiens glandulifera, "Policeman's Helmet" -I've read that these seeds have short viability, so the seeds might have been too old.

Knautia macedonica, "Egyptian Rose"
Meconopsis cambrica, "Welsh Poppy"
Mirabilis viscosa
Monarda citriodora, "Lemon Beebalm"
Monarda didyma, "Beebalm"

Perilla frutescens, "Red Shiso" -These seeds apparently also have a short viability. This year, I traded for fresh, and they came up great.

Pinellia pedatisecta, "Green Dragon" -Think they rotted in the cold weather. Next time, I'll spring sow.

Rodgersia aesculifolia, "Rodger's Flower"
Sabatia angularis, "Rose Genetian"
Saponaria officinalis, "Bouncing Bette"

Tanacetum niveum, "Silver Tansy" -I read somewhere that these seeds are another one with short viability. Next time, I'll trade for fresh.

LorraineR
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2008
6:32 PM

Post #4550843

When you finally figure out it "just a'int happening" can you just discard the top of the seed starter and not have to throw the whole thing out . Then I could replant in same cont.
Susan_C
Alameda, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 17, 2008
7:37 PM

Post #4551108

You might still get some of the first seeds germnating along with the new ones. If you want, you can save the soil from non-sprouters and use it for other things; I use it to top up container plants, pot up new plants, amend the icky soil in my neighbor's flower bed that I've taken over. (It does lead to some volunteers in interesting places, but I like surprises.)
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2008
9:32 PM

Post #4551480

I just dump the entire contents into a flower bed. Sometimes you get nice surprises a short time later. I got 3 of my echinacea that way, tons of cosmos, emilia, some zinnias, lots of things. I also dump into beds any small amount of potting mix left in the jug after plantout. Some of them come up soon thereafter. They make for a nice surprise some mornings.

Karen
LorraineR
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2008
11:42 PM

Post #4551922

That is actually happening somehow to some of the plants in the little jiffy cups under a light. I noticed 2 different plants coming up in some of them. Either the seeds flew around or I put seeds in not realizing I had already put something else!! Oh woe is me. It's okay, don't feel bad for me. I'll be okay, (having my little pity party)

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2008
12:14 AM

Post #4552033

well, two different varieties are better than thinking you put seeds in there, but didn't -- then all that work and NO germination.
LorraineR
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 18, 2008
3:50 AM

Post #4553267

Oh, that's happened too. Probably the ones with two are because I put seed in, forgot, then put a different one in. Oh well, it'll all come out in the was, or flowerbed!!! We never said we didn't screw up , did we?
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

February 18, 2008
11:31 PM

Post #4557109

The only things that have not germinated for me yet are:

Forget Me Not
Spearmint
Trident Maple
Senna alata

It could be that all of these need longer than everything else I planted . . .

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America