Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Deadheading Kalanchoe

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 11, Views: 172
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

April 21, 2007
11:41 PM

Post #3416894

Trying to find the best way to deadhead all my kalanchoe. Is it better to just brush off/pull out the dead brown flowers, or should I actually cut the stem? Looking to promote more flowering - have no frost to worry about. Thanks in advance!
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 23, 2007
8:10 PM

Post #3423095

Shari,

I cut my old flowers off as close to the stem as practical, I use a serrated knife (like as bread knife) to saw thru the flower stem. If you do it when the cluster of flowers is about 80-90% done, then fetilize lightly, you can get them to rebloom in less than a month. If you wait until the flowers are all done and drying up it is to late for reblooming. Rule of thumb-if they look bad cut em back.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

April 23, 2007
9:01 PM

Post #3423265

dale - how I love that picture! So, just so that I'm clear, cut the stem-with the flower cluster-back as close to the main stem of the plant as possible? That I can do. Cutting all the little flower heads off of their stem? Ooooh, that would be tricky...so please clarify. Sorry to be so dumb. But if I want them to look like yours, I want to do it right! Thousands of thanks,

Shari
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 23, 2007
10:47 PM

Post #3423783

Let me rephrase that, cut the flower stem as close to the main stem as possible, don't cut the plant stem. And yes it is time consuming.

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

April 23, 2007
11:06 PM

Post #3423853

Thanks again. Big smiles, and keep those pictures coming!
itsmecheetos
San Diego, CA

May 15, 2007
9:35 PM

Post #3500982

Hi Dale, those blooms look awesome! I got a Kalanchoe gift in december. It bloomed quite fine. But now it just has large foliage - new branches and a few flowers, no shoots/bunches rising from the plant like your pics show. What am i doing wrong?
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 16, 2007
12:46 AM

Post #3501539

Doing wrong? Nothing, except not being patient. Your plant will start to regrow later in the season. I am not sure if it is my memory or just a unusual year(?), but, this year they have been a little slow to return to their non-flowering growth. Last year at this time all mine had shed their flowers and were growing new stems and leaves. This year most that I have are still flowering a little. It has been cooler than normal here for the last 2 months. We are still getting cold fronts, we rarely get cold fronts after March 15, we are due to get another tomorrow. Cool weather as well as day length triggers flowering in some plants, guess this is one of those plants.

itsmecheetos
San Diego, CA

May 16, 2007
2:06 AM

Post #3501879

Oh thanks a million!! I think i will just let it grow and grow then!! Mine is similar to the yellow one in ur pic but the leaves are different. mine have grown all curly and big.
Can i make new plants from stem cuttings in this season?
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 16, 2007
10:36 AM

Post #3502644

It's me, Cheetos:

Yep stems are easy to root. That plant in my first photo produces 50 over the summer. I use them as a groundcover in other gardens.

If you want some new plants or a bigger plant in the existing container give it some fertilizer, not much, just a little. When you get your cuttings harvested or the plant is about 3/4 the size you want stop fertilizer and cut back on the water. I water my containers of hybrid kalanchoe once a week or less, but, they are big containers. Around/in late Oct begin to fertilize again with Bloom booster fertilizer (low nitrogen)

phughes
Portland, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2007
11:47 AM

Post #3502747

Hey dale

Why bloombooster vs say regular MG on kalanchoes? I didn't know to do that. My kalanchoes bloom every year and they are probably my most neglected plant.

itsmecheetos
San Diego, CA

May 16, 2007
8:31 PM

Post #3504489

Thanks again Dave! I am ready to experiment with them :)
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 16, 2007
10:46 PM

Post #3504922

Bloom booster = bigger flower trusses

Little plant, big flowers

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America