Forum: PhotosReplies: 52, Views: 1,509
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

February 5, 2001
11:54 AM

Post #1127

Here's our shiny new John Deer 790 with the 50" tiller attachment.

Thumbnail by dave
Click the image for an enlarged view.

notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2001
12:09 PM

Post #50563

dave,
you look very "happy" on that tractor-the hat is the finishing touch! Very cute!
"Plow On"
jersey

(Zone 5A)

February 5, 2001
12:35 PM

Post #50567

That's a beauty of a tractor. My poor ole gal is stuck in the barn - barn door is still drifted shut :-(. They say Spring is not far behind but we've got more snow coming today...
dave

February 5, 2001
12:36 PM

Post #50568

Yeah, I bought the hat for Trish for Christmas 2 years ago, but I am the one who ends up wearing it all the time. It looks kinda funny, and I enjoy the looks I get when I wear it out in public. ;-)
Trish
Jacksonville, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2001
5:47 PM

Post #50605

See, Dave- I TOLD you that you needed to name your tractor!
Regarding the hat- Dave's not supposed to be seen in public wearing in, but hey, it gets the job done keeping out the cold :)

Trish
dave

February 5, 2001
6:05 PM

Post #50606

A name, huh? How about "Dave's Tractor"?

:)

dave
Trish
Jacksonville, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2001
8:39 PM

Post #50617

Oh, good grief!

See what I deal with here?!?!

Trish
dave

February 5, 2001
9:16 PM

Post #50622

heeeheeeheee
Chooch
Chatham-Kent, ON
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2001
11:52 PM

Post #50643

I love the tractor ...now where is the heavy duty front end loader ??? A must for saving the old back :) Rock On !!
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2001
12:45 AM

Post #50647

Dave, love it!! Counting down the hours 'till ours come in!!
dave

February 6, 2001
2:16 AM

Post #50656

Tomorrow you'll get it! Ya know, I wasn't really all that excited about the tractor until it actually was delivered and I realized the thing was real and I can get real actual work done with the beast.

Your excitement will increase at least 7-fold when you see your green tractor arrive in your driveway tomorrow! Make sure to let us know how you like it!

dave
mamakane
Valley Head, WV
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2001
10:56 AM

Post #50682

If you are going to ride a tractor in cold weather you need carhart clothing. It's standard equipment with tractors here in WV. And Dave, no one would make fun of you either.
dave

February 6, 2001
11:43 AM

Post #50692

thanks for the tip, mamakane. It was actually 50 degrees when this picture was taken, but it was so windy I had to protect my ears. :)
Northerner
Middlesbrough
United Kingdom

February 6, 2001
7:56 PM

Post #50764

I'm not up on hats. Certainly an attention-getter. Does this particular type have a name? And yes, you've got to give your tractor a name! How old is it can I ask?
GrannyLois
Elizabethton (Stoney, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2001
12:33 AM

Post #50800

How about: The mean green plowing machine.
Trish
Jacksonville, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2001
12:02 PM

Post #50838

Northener-
No idea what kind of hat this is...It reminds me of the toboggins that Canadians wear. (at least they wear them in movies).

Tractor is an infant of only a couple of weeks old. Our neighbor laughed at Dave because Dave's '99 Toyota pickup got booted from the carport since the tractor's arrival.

I think "Green Bean" is a GREAT name for a tractor!

Trish
dave

February 7, 2001
12:52 PM

Post #50851

Trish - my truck is a 2000, not a '99'.
hops
somewhere on a littl, NJ
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2001
2:04 PM

Post #51076

LoL I love the hat, the tractor hey! green bean is what I was gonna say! and the landscape too. I'm a homebody and don't hardly ever leave NJ (and when we do it's only to PA lol) so I love seeing other places =o)
michele5000
Joshua Tree, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2001
7:40 PM

Post #51127

Oh Man!!!! Would I love to have one of those. What a beauty. You know machinery is always named after women.And just like women you have to talk nice to her.My husband has a hunting hat I got him that is equally obnoxious, and embarassing.He threatens to wear it to take my daughter to school if she isnt good.Not that you are obnoxious, just like you said ,it gets a reaction.
SMSpear1
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2001
7:49 AM

Post #51228

I think the hat belongs to Elmer Fudd. It keeps his ears warm too.
"Shhh! Be very, very quiet. I'm hunting wabbits!" :-)

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2001
11:15 AM

Post #51231

When do you have time to use that beautiful new toy? In fact, are you a full-time farmer. How about posting a biography?
nedrag
Lykens, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2001
3:47 PM

Post #51284

Men and their "TOYS"! I am just jealous. Just kidding around. Wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed all the backing and forthing about the Hat and the Tractor. You have a great web site here. When do you have time to do all this and plow too?
dave

February 9, 2001
3:59 PM

Post #51287

I do this fulltime, so I spend my time the best way I can. While the weather is cold I'm inside working on DG. When warm, I'm outside working on the farm.

Today it's nasty weather so I'm inside. :)

dave
Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2001
4:01 PM

Post #51288

Dave - come on and tell the truth...you have a laptop on your tractor! LOL
Northerner
Middlesbrough
United Kingdom

February 9, 2001
7:38 PM

Post #51320

If you've got the full moon that we've got you can probably work outside in the evening too. It's incredible. Isn't this the time when the werewolves come out? Ooooo scary!
windsurffer

(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2001
8:32 PM

Post #87685

Love the hat (smile) You do look happy and that is the first time I've seen a man smile while doing garden work, I ususally get a frown.
JanLynn
(Jan) So Milw, WI
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2007
9:21 PM

Post #3802262

:)
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2007
8:09 PM

Post #3810408

I'm still jealous, I want a John Deere.

How does it run now?
Lavina
dave

August 2, 2007
8:53 PM

Post #3810554

I don't know; I sold it in Kerrville a couple years ago and bought a Kubota, which runs great! :-)
dave

August 2, 2007
8:54 PM

Post #3810558

here it is

Thumbnail by dave

LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2007
11:00 PM

Post #3811042

Now I am really really jealous I have a shovel and a hoe.

No wheels just elbow powered.
HEHE

Lavina
RainbowRider
Brunswick, GA
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2007
3:24 PM

Post #4015434

How about the name "Sod Buster" for the J D, that name has been in lots of western movies. It's a great looking piece of equipment and some day i hope to have one.
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2007
3:43 PM

Post #4015489

I just want any one of the tractors I can get.LOL

Sod buster hum

Lavina

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

October 6, 2007
11:55 PM

Post #4055805

Nice tractors, Dave! My DH loves his tractor, "Lydia", named after the wife of the first settler that broke ground here on our farm in 1763...Here's a photo of my DH and Lydia...

and by the way, Dave, you and your staff have done an amazing job with this website!! Class Act all the way!! Thank you!

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

dave

October 7, 2007
1:45 AM

Post #4056237

Thank you for the kind words!
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2008
6:21 PM

Post #5461732

Aw, I love Lydia! And the history behind the name, too.

My parents used to own a sod farm, and I used to help keep the sod mowed when I was a kid (started at about 12 or so). I had my own little gray Massey-Ferguson tractor and a set of gang mowers. My dad, for some reason, named my cute little tractor Motivator. :)

Now all I have is my little John Deere lawn tractor, which is old and abused. I call it J.D. Nobody else gets to use J.D. but me. lol

And I agree, Dave--this site and community are awesome!

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2008
10:42 PM

Post #5467119

Thank you, KaylyRed! I love your story about your JD...how cool! Old and abused but greatly loved! LOL

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2008
5:06 PM

Post #5550945

so as a serious farmer, what kind of crops do you grow?
hel
Alstonville
Australia

May 19, 2009
2:00 AM

Post #6567840

Hi Dave, just found your site. Thought I'd send a few pics to you.
1st old caterpiller
2nd done up
3rd info panel

Thumbnail by hel

hel
Alstonville
Australia

May 19, 2009
2:04 AM

Post #6567859

2nd Done up

Thumbnail by hel

hel
Alstonville
Australia

May 19, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #6567880

3rd Info Panel

Thumbnail by hel

hel
Alstonville
Australia

May 19, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #6567900

Here are also some of my hubby's FergusonTEA 20

Thumbnail by hel

hel
Alstonville
Australia

May 19, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #6567913

Fergie & benchsaw

Thumbnail by hel

hel
Alstonville
Australia

May 19, 2009
2:13 AM

Post #6567924

Fergie & PTO

Thumbnail by hel

hel
Alstonville
Australia

May 19, 2009
2:18 AM

Post #6567950

Here a couple more oldie's

Thumbnail by hel

hel
Alstonville
Australia

May 19, 2009
2:23 AM

Post #6567990

I hope you all find these pic's interesting.
Hel

Thumbnail by hel

NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

September 21, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #7085815

Whilst at a certain Agricultural college in England, I am not saying where.
We had a boat race, no it is not with a boat! It involves eight students stood on a bench against eight students on another bench.
Every student is given a pint of beer; then at the command the first person in each team, must drink it down in one and put the empty glass on his/hers head, then the next one starts and it goes on, the first team that finishes wins that round.
Then come the quarter finals, the semi finals and the final. I can think you can imagine what everyone is like. after this. I was not involved as I was a lot older and considered a mature student!
So someone had the bright idea of going down the tractor park and having a tractor race.
There was every sort of tractor, one could imagine there, yes, John Derre's in every shape and form. They had every sort of implement on them as well.
It started of alright; and was a race, although of course some are faster than others, so it got into bumpers cars, with tractors.
Not nice to see.
One girl with a French tractor, put the trailer on the back, she claimed she did not know it was there, although it was quite long, into a barn!
As she did not how to reverse a trailer, I did it.
Then I saw blue lights in the distance, so I got out of there.
It was a long run home and I had to go under a drainage pipe to get under the road, but I did it. Quickly getting washed and changed, I ran down the pub and ordered four pints of beer, which three of them I drunk quickly, and left the glasses on the table.
Luckily I knew the Barman as I served in the British Army with him and had told him what had happened, although I had only reversed a trailer, and in no way been involved in the stupid tractor crashing.
Anyway the Police came in in the pub, then came to me and asked where I had been, so I stated in here. They looked at the empty glasses and my nearly empty one. So as I went to the bar to get another pint, they pulled the barman, he just told them I had been in there.
The result was twenty six thrown students straight out of college, and their parents made to pat for the damage.
Unfortunately the Principal knew there was someone else there, for the only person who could put a Twenty Six foot trailer, with a foot either side and place it accurately was me.
So he hounded me for the next two years.
Then when I got my Degree and my Honorary Ph.D. in a certain Cathedral, he asked me a favour.
He wanted to know before he retired, if I was at the tractor race, so I just smiled and said "one day, this will be a college legend, leave it like that."
My kindest Regards to all tractor owners, from England.
Neil.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2009
10:12 AM

Post #7086727

I was raised in cities as my dad was hotel manager. But we visited our aunt and uncle in Conneticutt regularly. One week he took us to visit his brother in Vermont, on a farm. It almost seemed like a fairy tale to us. The house was very old and they actually put coals in a bed warmer pan and heated the bed before we went to sleep. The quilts were so heavy that we could barely turn over.They had a 3-holer attached to the house by a long hallway.
We picked blueberries another time and had trouble with a cow who followed us and got into the bucket. In the winter visit, the farmer hooked up a horse to some kind of a big sled and we went all over the farm. We also jumped out of a hay loft onto big piles of hay below.
I think my love of outdoors and growing things started there. My aunt and uncle always had a garden and he raised prize-winning dahlias. Everything was homemade. They got a new house and my aunt designed the basement to accomodate her freezer, lots of shelving for canned goods, and indoor clotheslines.
You can see I'm quite nostalgic about those days. My aunt lived to be 98. We all hoped she would last a couple more years, so then she could claim that she had lived in 3 centuries, but it didn't happen.
hel
Alstonville
Australia

September 23, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #7093912

What a great story Neil.
This is an old Desoto out on the farm at Coonamble NSW
Hel

Thumbnail by hel

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #7109965

I remember the ads on T.V. from the 50s. PLYMOUTH, DODGE, DESOTO, CHRYSLER AND THE EXCLUSIVE IMPERIAL. They would flash a picture of each model.
I always wondered why the counted the Imperial as a seperate car altogether when it was also a Chrysler.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Photos Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the photo forum! dave 34 May 3, 2013 10:18 AM
Spring Spring! and my bowling ball! nicole_in_nc 6 Apr 21, 2010 3:35 PM
Riesentraube tomatoes dave 4 Feb 9, 2008 3:25 AM
It's a Bird...It's a Plane....It's Superdave! gardenwife 27 Nov 18, 2007 7:53 PM
Football lily Dinu 9 Jul 22, 2008 11:11 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America