-
AuthorContent
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2007
3:17 PM

Post #3418486

I have always loved violets, and this spring I have something new blooming. No idea where it came from, but I really love it!

One other question, where, and when do I find seeds??

Thanks for any assistance,
Deb

Thumbnail by momcat
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2007
4:23 PM

Post #3418689

Gorgeous photo! Not sure of the ID, there are so many of these small wild forms.

As far as seeds, keep an eye on the bulbous part at the back of the flower. These must produce seed quite easily as I find them all over my garden :)
dawei39
Oshkosh, WI
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2007
2:12 AM

Post #3464656

Wish I lived closer to DesPlaines - Used to have these all the time in my garden In Ripon, Wisconsin - Had also blue and pure white (no color in center), yellow and even a red variety - Don't remember where that one came from. Most of them came from the woods somewhere - In Wisconsin we also had a "Birds Foot Violet" with large blue flowers and fringy leaves - It came from Waushara County where the soil is more sand than dirt but I did raise some of them in Ripon in the regular black soil and they also did very well.

I moved away from Wisconsin for several years and now I am back in Wisconsin and live in Oshkosh, Wisconsin - So far all I have found here is a tiny blue violet with rather round leaves and white centers growing in the lawn - dug some up and they are blooming well in the garden with my hens and chicks etc. Violets are beautiful for spring.
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2007
6:19 PM

Post #3466395

I just found this one growing in the flower bed, no idea where it came from.

Deb

Thumbnail by momcat
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bonitin
Gent
Belgium
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2007
1:44 PM

Post #3468715

Momcat,

The last one with the speckles is definitely Viola sororia 'Freckles'.

The first one must be a cultivar of Viola odorata.
It should have a strong scent, at least the original wild specie has.
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

June 2, 2009
5:41 AM

Post #6629633

If the first one is like the ones I have there may be two different types of seed pods. The one where the flower forms and another that forms at the base with almost no stem. The bottom ones seem to have larger seeds. I let the plants spread themselves so I do not know if both are fertile.
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2009
11:02 AM

Post #6629942

Thanks for the input. Both have been thriving and spreading in my flower beds. The top one, much faster than the freckled one. In fact I have to dig out some of those in the top picture. I hate to compost them, but they have more than doubled, and I need that space for other things.
catloverrachel
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #6636391

Momcat, your violet with the solid blue center is viola priceana, or Confederate violet. I love them, but they're very invasive. As Bonitin states, the spotted variety is v. sororia "Freckles".

Wild violets are so intriguing, and so much fun! Do you have any yellow ones in your area of the country? I'm looking for halberd-leaved violet, v. hastata.
Daturapod
Rose Hill, NC
(Zone 8a)

November 19, 2009
2:54 PM

Post #7289465

It could be Confederate Violet (Viola sororia f. priceana) wild here and grow every where...
they differ some in the amount of color check it out.
Daturapod

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Violas and Violettas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome, Pansy and Violet-lovers! Terry 6 May 25, 2007 11:25 AM
Anybody use them in cooking? Dea 10 Feb 27, 2012 3:49 PM
Wild One hczone6 15 May 15, 2008 8:18 PM
Wild violets kniphofia 5 Mar 26, 2007 3:58 PM
All violets are not the same anastatia 8 Sep 25, 2007 1:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America