Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beekeeping: A Bee!

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 3, Views: 95
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jio1
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2007
11:26 AM

Post #3421350

Ahhhh . . . a bee just cruised around my balcony. The sugar water is out for them, as well as the bird water dish. Now, hopefully, where there was one, there will be more! jo

Thumbnail by jio1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LC2sgarden
Bolivar, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2007
1:42 AM

Post #3431873

If there is one, there is more out there somewhere. Count yourself luck. If you have been keeping up with threads you will know that bees are disappearing. My hus. is a beekeeper. We had a severe freeze at Easter when the spring honey flow was in full blossom and most all blooms were frozen. He is worried he will not have a honey crop this yr. and will probably have to fee them thru the winter. Pls. keep the water out for them. They help cool the hive with the water they take back. It evaporates and they fan it with their wings. Sort of like A/C. LIZ
jio1
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2007
12:08 PM

Post #3433089

Liz you're right! They have found their way back! Although I think these are different bees only because it took *one* of them the first scout alllllll day to find the sugar water, LOL! I'm sitting on the balcony going no, move that, no back over here -- too funny.

A friend of mine is trying to convince me that the bee disappearing problem is *only* for the beekeepers who have semi trucks full of bee hives that they truck around the country -- which bees they feed corn syrup to; that the local stay-in-one-place hives aren't being affected. I think she's wrong but maybe only because I didn't know that semis full of bees traversed the country.

You guys keep bees -- what do you think? Thanks! jo
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2007
7:20 PM

Post #3434497

My hive gets to keep its own honey & the bees stay in one spot & they're doing GREAT.

the guy across the street harvests his honey but doesn't schlep the bees around, and he lost 3 out of 4 hives this winter.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America