Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poppies: Heirloom poppies

Communities > Forums > Poppies
bookmark
Forum: PoppiesReplies: 1, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
fburg696
Farmersburg, IN

April 23, 2007
10:07 PM

Post #3423583

I have recently received some oriental poppies from a friend that was from her mother's patch started in the 1920s. I also baught seeds from eBay called "Drop Dead Gorgeus" that claims to be of heirloom origin and rare as well. The oriental poppies are the common big orange flowers and the eBay mix is somniferum lancianatum(spelling?) and has red,plum,purple,lavender,white, and bicolor serated blooms. Has anybody out there had experience with this strain of somniferums? Just curious.
skimper
Greenwich, OH

April 24, 2007
12:02 AM

Post #3424054

Hello:the drop dead poppies and the lanciatum poppies you mentioned are annual poppies.The oriental poppies are perennial poppies.I always direct sow my poppy seeds in the late fall and they usually bloom around June for me.The oriental poppies started from seed, will usually take 2 yrs.to see blooms.Poppy seeds need a cold chill for the seeds to germinate in the spring.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Poppies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Poppy reference sources (and pictures too) balvenie 29 Oct 7, 2009 11:38 PM
Oriental poppies - seed or root stock? ghia_girl 15 Jun 22, 2010 12:12 AM
Starting to grow mrpoppy 3 Mar 6, 2007 12:46 AM
Meconopsis from seed picante 42 Oct 12, 2008 7:15 PM
7b-ers who are going to sow soon sublimaze1 7 Mar 9, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America