Okra leaves eaten

Argyle, TX(Zone 7b)

Hi, something has eaten all the leaves off of my 3" okra. Will they still grow and produce or do I need to start over? Thanks, Mike

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Depends, Iif they ate down the terminal bud, the plant is usually done for. If they just did the larger leaves, the plant may still be stunted but may produce something. First tho, you have to determine what is eating the leaves and take care of that problem. Not many pests eat okra, so it should be a short list. I would still replant for insurance, even if some of the early plants make it. Okra is a hot weather plant, I have not not planted yet. It does much better when planted in warm soil, and does not not have to sit around and shiver.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I'm jumping into this okra discussion! I bought two hybrid okra plants from Lowe's and planted them in two 3-1/2 gallon buckets. They didn't do well at first, but one is sort of thinking about taking off. The other one is down to a single stem with maybe two leaves. I knew they were warm weather plants, but when I bought them it WAS warm weather. Since then, we've dipped and climbed twice. Any suggestions on how to keep them going? If push comes to shove and they bite the dust, do I have time to direct sow seed in the buckets once it warms up?

Thanks Farmerdill!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Okra needs night time lows in the 70's to really get going. The problem with containers is that the soil cools off faster at night. It might help to sit them on on an asphalt driveway, brick or concrete paved area etc that holds heat at night until the temps climb. Remember these are a central African plant. You have plenty of time to drect sow, if these don't make it. In your area you could direct sow until the first of June and maybe later. Depending on the cultivar, some are small and some are huge, you could put up to three plants in your buckets. Oh as befits thier central African heritage, okra needs more water than most plants. keep the soil moist but not wet.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Farmerdill!

Argyle, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks. We are having bookoo rain right now. We probably had more the last two months than all of last year. My taters drowned a month ago. I ain't never seen this much rain before. Take care, Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.