Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: sunflower seedlings flopping over

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 3, Views: 164
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pokokpenyu
Schenectady, NY

April 24, 2007
12:01 PM

Post #3425383

my sunflowers (helianthus annuus) germinated about 5 days ago. they were growing fine until today, when they started flopping over. help!

what could be the problem? i don't think it's damping off because the soil doesn't seem too wet. the cotyledons look kinda heavy for the stems though... is this normal for the seedlings to flop over? should i try to stake them? should i try to repot them? should i add more soil? any advice appreciated!

a close-up shot of the seedling can be found here: http://pokok.gejala.org/2007/pokokpenyu/seedling/my-seedlings-are-keeling-over/

Thumbnail by pokokpenyu
Click the image for an enlarged view.

heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2007
12:29 PM

Post #3425480

Hi there, I checked out your blog and you have a lot going on there. It looks great...especially since this is your first attempt at growing from seeds (did I read that correctly?)

I'm thinking your problem here is simply not enough light. If I read things right you also recently moved these seedlings from a more sunnier position. I believe they are getting leggy due to reaching for light and therefore falling over. Kitty probably didn't help anything either, lol.

Most times when starting seeds they will either be started outdoors and left there, or they will be started indoors under lights. If under lights the lights will be kept about 2-3 inches above the plants and continually moved up to keep that spacing. Fancy, expensive "grow" lights are not needed. Fluorescent shop lights are what most folks use, with regular bulbs, not full spectrum. Lights should be left on between 12-16 hours a day.

These may recover if you get some light on them right away, but I wouldn't hold my breath. A better bet, especially since they germinated so quickly for you, would be to start new seeds and leave them where you start them...indoors under lights or outside and keep covered if frost threatens.

Hope that helps. I'm sure someone else will be along with some other ideas and tips soon too. Be sure to come back and let us know how things progress!
Heather
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2007
3:34 PM

Post #3426049

Or when you transplant them, you can bury them deeper, there's been a lot of discussion on some of the other forums around here about burying seedlings almost to the first set of leaves when you transplant them, and people seem to have had good luck with that. I would get some more light on them though, that can keep the problem from getting any worse.
pokokpenyu
Schenectady, NY

April 26, 2007
1:41 AM

Post #3431871

thanks for the good advice! i actually started them indoors, then moved it to the balcony where they do get a fair bit of sunshine. but it has been raining almost daily, so they're probably not getting the 12-16 hours' worth.

i think part of the problem was also that they were outgrowing the pot. when i stopped freaking out over transplanting and tried it, the roots were filling up pretty much the whole bit inside the soil.

put it under a standard florescent light last night, and they look much better today! thanks thanks thanks again :)

blogged about the transplanting process with pictures here: http://pokok.gejala.org/2007/pokokpenyu/seedling/sunflower-emergency-transplant/

This message was edited Apr 26, 2007 12:43 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America