Photo by Melody

Plant Trading: Great instructions - what about freezing temps?

Communities > Forums > Plant Trading
bookmark
Forum: Plant TradingReplies: 2, Views: 169
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
RiseAnn
Rapid City, SD
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2001
12:35 PM

Post #1130

I see trading going on right now. What about the freezing temps? Do you put heat packs in the boxes this time of year?

My mom will have TONS of plants to send me this spring and we can't wait to try this. Thanks for all the info.

P.S. Are there supposed to be holes in the boxes for air circulation?
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2001
12:57 PM

Post #50572

So far I have had good luck sending and recieving plants. The temps here have been mild lately, I try to watch for mild weather and I wrap them in lots of plastic bags and then newspapers. Hopefully they are sitting in a post office or delivery truck and keeping warm!
dori

Joy

Joy
Kalama, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2001
3:56 PM

Post #51090

If they are still dorment when you send them, the cold shouldn't hurt them at all. Sending house plant cuttings or tropicals would be a different story though. Late last fall I sent houseplant cuttings to Michigan. It was mild weather here, but in Michigan, they got snow. The cuttings might have been ok but the mail person left the box on their porch when he found no one was home. After they got home they found the box buried under snow. Needless to say, the cuttings didn't make it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Plant Trading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
have colts foot and a goldenseal bloomingidiot 5 May 29, 2009 7:56 PM
Crocosmia Zanymuse 17 Oct 25, 2007 1:37 AM
CLOSED: Yucca? Melissa_Ohio 8 Apr 6, 2008 3:43 PM
hardy glad bulbs and small yucca plants catbirdsue 8 Apr 5, 2008 11:40 PM
Wanted : Tri color Strawberry Begonia,Blue Sky Flower MsCritterkeeper 18 Feb 23, 2009 11:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America