My first bottle tree!

Trabuco Canyon, CA

I have desperately wanted a bottle tree but I am not handy with tools, don't weld and my husband is even less handy with household type repairs. I've spent months looking for a way to make a bottle tree without spending $$$ buying one.

I found these green metal wavy plant stakes, 6'tall, at Home Depot and they were marked down to $1 ea so I bought the 11 poles that they had left. The red bottles were from Ty Nant flat spring water (found at Ralph's grocery store), blue bottles from sparkling mineral water (Italian, at Trader Joe's) and the green bottles were also from sparkling mineral water, San Pelegrino, bought at the dollar store but also found at Ralph's and Trader Joe's.

I absolutely love my tree, better than the bottle trees I've seen for sale online and a lot cheaper! The poles bob and wave in the wind and even with gusts to 35mph the bottles haven't smashed yet. I'm sure I'll have to take them down if we get the strong Santa ana winds. My only problem is water marks on the bottles from the sprinklers.

Where there's a will there's a way : )

Thumbnail by mom2eloise
U.P., MI(Zone 5a)

Oh I love that. I wonder if I can find those squiggley things around where I love.
Thanks for showing it.

Sue

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Mom
I like your bottle tree. It's a dfferent take on what one normally sees for bottle tree construction. I have been collecting blue bottles for my next one. The first one was constructed using copper pipe and fittings,all of the bottles are green. I have seen the straight green poles for sale but haven't seen the squiggly ones. Good job!

hayward, CA

hi mom2eloise,

what a terrific tree im off to home depot to see if our store has them
i never noticed those in their garden section, thank you for sharing!
liz

(Zone 1)

Mom2eloise: That is one of the nicest looking bottle trees I've ever seen! I too have been wanting one for a long, long time, but just never got the stuff together to make one! I'm off to Home Depot today for some "Retail Plant Therapy" ... will have to look for those neat squiggly poles! I've seen the straight ones used for stakes but never those squiggly ones! Are they metal like the green plant stakes?

Now ... I gotta start looking for colored glass bottles! We don't drink, but I'm tempted to buy some wine to pour out, so I could use the bottles! I am going to be looking everywhere for colored glass bottles now!

Thanks for sharing your awesome tree!

Lin

edited to say: I'm thinking about planting a bottle tree in a deep, heavy pot so it can be moved in during Hurricane Season! Y'all have the Santa Ana Winds out there (and Quakes) .... while we have the Cane's!

This message was edited Apr 26, 2007 10:00 AM

U.P., MI(Zone 5a)

I like the idea of putting it in a pot. I have a big pot in the corner of my yard just sittin' there doin nothin :)

Trabuco Canyon, CA

Thanks everyone for the nice comments : )

Lin, yes they are stiff heavy dark green metal but when shoved in the ground the weight of the bottle lets them curve a bit.. They look so pretty with a gentle breeze making them move and the sun shining through them! I rarely drink alcohol so all of my bottles were from mineral water. Most were only $1 and the red ones were $2.69 I think. I like mineral water with a slice of lemon anyway so really the bottles were free.

I found these stakes near the metal garden trellises. Couldn't believe they were only $1 ea!

hayward, CA

hi mom2eloise,

just as you stated, i found them at our home depot, and bought them all!!!!! 23 lol
at 1.00 i stuck 5 out fround with blue bottles, i dont know how my neighbors are going to react to this.....i keep my fun stuff out back where i can enjoy it.

Kerrville, TX(Zone 8a)

That is such a unique idea. Never have seen it before. Do they create much noise?
Carol

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Mom2eloise, those are very cool.. Now I want to also know about the dinosaur eggs under the hedge

(Zone 1)

Just returned from our HD ... they are $3.99 each there. I guess it's just in Calif. that they are selling for a buck! :(

I'm gonna keep checking back at our local HD's and maybe they will put them on sale soon!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Those metal stakes were designed for tomatoes. I have several and they don't work well so you've given me a great idea for use! I will need to get a few more to really make an effective display.

Trabuco Canyon, CA

Liz, I'm so happy that you found some! I found 3 more at a different HD today.

PlantladyLin, you're right to watch those prices because I'm sure the CA HD has them on clearance already.

Jazzpunkin, LOL! The dinosaur egg was an outdoor easter egg decoration from 3 years ago and I would love to find some more. Walmart carried them back then but haven't since then. I have a 4yo airedale terrier and the egg is his favorite toy because he just can't get a grip on it, LOL! He barks, shuffles it through his legs, rolls it around and chases it like crazy. He ate a tablespoon of the Nutro Ultra canned food a week before it was recalled and was very, very sick for 36hrs, could barely walk but tried to play with his egg when I dug it out from under the bushes. Don't know what I'll do since he's already chewed a large hole in it. Duct tape is working for now but I HAVE to find another egg, LOL!

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Aw how cute! I hope you can find one also and that your airdale is ok

Delhi, IA

I too have wanted a bottle tree. And today I was with my daughter at Michael's and there they were for $1.50 each. So I am started. Now for a plan.

Think I'll go with the artificial Xmas tree look.

Thumbnail by jamlover
Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

I found the stakes yesterday at Lowes - 4.95 each - pricey - but I got 5.....and it's going up today. DH will have a fit.....LOL

Trabuco Canyon, CA

BetsyBug, I saw that our Target just started carrying the wavy poles at $3.99 ea. Another local Target didn't have them yet so I'm sure they are a new item. Please post a pic of your bottle tree when you're done! It really makes me happy to know that other non-welding people can have bottle trees now too!

jamlover, thanks for the tip to check Michael's for those pretty blue bottles. I did look there a few months ago but didn't find anything then. Time for another visit : )

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Such a unique and cool looking tree.

Delhi, IA

It's done!!! Except I need a couple more bottles. Threatened my son with taking it to his competition if he didn't have time to weld it up for me.

Thumbnail by jamlover
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

jam,
Looks good. Love the bottles

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Mom2Eloise,

I just love your bottle tree. I love that it's "naturally" kinetic.

You said,
My only problem is water marks on the bottles from the sprinklers.
Perhaps some Rain-X would help that.

My problem is finding a waybigo splat of bird poo on mine, so I'm constantly spraying them off when I water the plants.

I put many bottles over the stumps when I pruned things earlier. As those things begin to grow out, I've been removing them. I've placed them close by my herb garden on the table and fill them up with water. Some of my herbs dry out faster than others, so that gives 'em a drink between waterings. Sure beats dragging that 100 ft. hose out! HAHAHA

Delhi, IA

Got the rest of my bottles, even a couple of extras in case of breakage. Now for some rain x or whatever it's called. Have some somewhere.

Thumbnail by jamlover
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Your bottle tree looks great Jam. I meant to comment on it the other day. I'm a big fan of cobalt blue. You were smart to get a few extras. That way you'll always have blue blooms! :-)

Janet

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

I have a bunch of those squiggly tomato stakes that I don't like, and this just may be the perfect use for them! I was just thinking today that I wanted to figure out a bottle tree.......thanks for sharing!

Trabuco Canyon, CA

I'm dying to see some of the bottle trees you've all come up with! Please, pretty please post your bottle trees if you were able to find the wavy sticks in your area : )

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Mom - What an ingenious idea! You have definitely started a trend! Next time I'm in HD - I'm going to check for the "squiggly" things, & make one for my garden, too!! You should design a web page & charge for the instructions, or something!! KUDOS & A+ for originality!! Samantha

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi on one of my photos on the HGTV site there is a photo of my bottle tree. I wanted to recycle a dogwood tree that broke off in a storm. The deer eat everything (but not my bottle art). I have found that I can use spikes in a line up the side of a tree about 10 inches or so apart and then attach bottles. It brightens the yard and really hasn't hurt the trees (at least not 7 or so years into the 'deed.') ... I put a line of about 5 bottles -one on top of the other- up the sides of several trees along a path to lead the way... when the sun hits the bottles - it is colorful, looks good, and no deer nibbles. Here is the link. If you click on the correct photo you will see the bottle tree. I think the photo is midway down the page.

http://ratemyspace.hgtv.com/SNC/ViewItem.aspx?pguid=6db6be3f-1720-4ba3-a081-999042c09b6b&itemguid=89c5d744-1193-47e1-b5a8-257dc19261fa

If that doesn't work. the site is

ratemyspace.hgtv.com then click on YARDS ....or just type in the search engine on that main page : "a strollin' front yard" " You all can load up photos of your gardens there too.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Rosie,

I checked out your photos and didn't see any bottle trees. You have a lovely yard and some very unique yard art. Love those flying fish!

Janet

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

Rosie - now THAT'S a true bottle tree. And your place is just lovely!

Marcia

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Great pics. Your yard is beautiful

Thank you all for your kind words. UniQue T: if you click on the individual photos on the site --the one with the bottletree should pop up. I am sorry - I don't know exactly where it is in the grouping.

Janet --those flying fish came from Vega Metals in Durham NC
Francis Vega has a 'sale' twice/year and while they are quite expensive in the catalogue at the sale I think they were $7.00 each. Vega operates under the name Cricket Forge. He carries Drumm pieces too (aluminum furniture and other great garden art) Drumm/Vega responsible for the butterfly and dragonfly benches that are so popular. (Those go on sale too!! ) (Still expensive but 1/2 price)

Also another link you may be interested in Yellow dog Enterprises (can find on the NET if you search Yellow Dog Enterprises stone benches... The benches are WONDERFUL art for the garden. I just found the link last night - no idea about price but the artist travels around doing shows nationwide.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

When I was looking through the photos last night, I noticed that they weren't in the same order when I hit the back button. The link that Jazzpunkin provided went right to the bottle tree. It's great! I must have just missed the photo that JP linked to.

Thanks for the info on the garden art Rosie. You have a whole lot of really cool art in your yard. I could spend days there just checking it all out.

I'm a collector of unusual "stuff" for the yard. Most of my stuff comes from thrift stores in the local area. While I love finding cool pieces, I don't love paying the "regular" prices, though as a copper artisan of sorts, I know how much time, effort, and just plain old thinking about it, goes into making the pieces. Does that make me a hypocrite? I suppose so.

Thanks so much for sharing your unique space with us.

Janet

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

No.,.I am the same way..If I look at it and think.. hmm I could make that.. then i am less willing to pay for it..lol

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

Okay - I've finally gotten one done....I'll have a total of three for this display. But thought I'd share the work in progress...

Thumbnail by BetsyBug
Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

Here's a close up...

Thumbnail by BetsyBug
Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh I like that! The colors show up so nicely against the dark bottle. Very unique and beautiful.

Marcia
I really love what you have done with that bottle.
And, since I am in another state entirely, I'm going to do the same thing!
As a transplant to NC, I hear all the time that any pollution we have in our western counties comes from Tenn... Now I can say that the credit for my soon- to- be bottle tree ALSO comes from Tenn. Thanks it is really nice. It is so hard for me to get and keep color in the garden because of the deer. Bottles do the trick but it is hard to keep the garden in "color" with objects without being overdone.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Love it.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

WOW Betsybug! Your bottle really has a lot of pizazz! How did you attach the magic beads to the glass?

Can't wait to see the rest of them. :-)

Janet

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images