Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: az growers

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 2, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Im_a_cheezit
Queen Creek, AZ
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2007
9:57 AM

Post #3432556

Hi, I am new to gardening vegis. I had some peppers seedlings and tomato seedlings going inside, but I am worried that when I go to transplant them outside it will kill them. We currently have weather in the 90's and it is predicted to be in the 100's by the weekend. It is not unusual for us to have 110-115 degree weather. Should I have started earlier? or should I just stick to catus and scorpions? j/k
Thanks
chef_tish
Alexander, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2007
4:14 PM

Post #3441103

I'm new to this, too. But from everything I've read on the forums here - you should begin to "harden off" the seedlings. This means bringing the seedlings outside in their pots for a short amount of time each day. You harden them off by increasing the amount of time spent outside incrementally. Now I'm not sure what the time increments are. I assume you could start out with an hour outside, increase by 15 to 30 minutes each day until they're spending 8 or more hours outside. Like I said, I'm new to this, too. Hopefully you'll get some seasoned experts to answer the question more thoroughly. You might try looking at the tomato forum. there's TONS of great info there. What applies to the tomatos should apply to the peppers. Good luck!
patchwk
Yuma, AZ

May 10, 2007
1:22 PM

Post #3483236

Hello! I'm in Yuma, AZ and I know what you mean! We are having a hot spell already here that doesn't make for a happy garden. I would offer some protection for those little fellas like shading during the hot part of the day and slowly adjust them to their harsh environment. As always, be sure to get veggies that are heat-loving because of where we live!

Regina

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America