Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Crocus/general bulbs

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 4, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2007
3:13 PM

Post #3433716

I have some crocus that I really like...do they multiply? I read the plant files and it said you could divide the bulbs and stuff, but do they clump together and grow more the next year, or do you have to dig up the extras first? Do they multiply quickly? And, last but not least, what's the best thing to do for all spring bulbs as far as feeding? I know you should feed them until they die down to the ground, but is there a certain type of fertilizer they need?

Kristie

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2007
3:30 PM

Post #3433777

crocus don't multiply a whole lot for me, compared to most of my daffodils. I have not dug them up to look because mine are in a bed of vinca.
I don't fertilize much but I do like to find 6-10-10 sometimes in a 2 lb box at a discount store. It was recommended for irises, so I also use it on bulbs.
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2007
4:12 PM

Post #3433940

Thanks...I've been fertilizing the bed their in about every two weeks or so with some fertilizer that says its good for anything...I was hoping this would help everything out...last year I didn't feed anything.

Kristie
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2007
6:55 PM

Post #3434418

Kristie
Some crocus multiply better than others. I have some yellow 'mammoth' ones that are threatening to take over the world! I have done nothing to them outside of planting them initially. I know that I could easily dig out a clump and divide them lots. Leaving them alone hasn't seemed to have dimmed their enthusiasm for flowering, though.
Bev
wildgardengirl
Gregory, MI

April 27, 2007
12:24 PM

Post #3436962

My crocus multiplied very nicely from last year - the new ones were mostly foliage this year - we'll see if they flower more next year. I don't fertilize my bulbs at all - just let them grow as they will.

Mine are interplanted with tulips and daffodils, to be my early color while the other two are still growing, so I will probably dig and separate them in a year or two when I'm ready to separate my tulips & daffs.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America