You EB people have done it now :-)

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Okay Saint, Tplant, Gymgirl and all you others........ you did it to me, and I've ordered two Earthboxes. Just waiting on the mailman, and just in time for my planned plant-out in a week.
Since I garden on a roofdeck, I just had to try it, especially after Carolyn's thread had me dreaming :-)
I'll be studiously reading all the posts on EB's now so I can make sure I get it right- I ordered just the EB's, so I'll need to get my own soil and fertilizer. Y'all are wonderful salesmen!!
Samantha

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

They really work! Sounds like they will be perfect for you as you can put them anywhere that there is sun.
Make sure you follow the set-up instructions to the letter as it is very important. Buy top quality container mix w/o moisture control granules. Let us know when they arrive?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

lol I think Tplant really works for the company on the sly and gets kick backs *wink* I sent my Dad home with an EB flyer when he was here last week with strict instructions on what to order for my B-day and X-mas. Easy for him and a much wanted (and needed) gift for me...It's killing me that I can't plant out melons or have any for my peppers right now...

My eggplants and peppers are doing very well inspite of all the wind that we have been having. I've been very busy landscaping our home so that is the reason why I've been so quite around here.

Hey guys- got my EB's today!! I'll get them set up in the next couple of days. The directions look real simple. My gardening got sidetracked by my bird netting cage I built :-)
Was wondering about the cover- should I use the black or the white side? Philly gets up into the 90's fairly often, and my deck doesn't get any shade except for dawn and dusk. Take care-
Samantha

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Samantha, You can probably use the black side. I use dark green trash bags here in KY for my do-it-yourself dirtboxes with no problems. Good luck!

If I were you Philly I would check with the EB people. Down here we use only the white side but if you get up to the nineties perhaps you should use the white side. Black really intensifies the heat.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm in the hot humid gulf coast Texas area and they said south Florida use white, so I used the black when planting out in late Feb/Mar. The black side must have fueled the early growth of tomatoes due to the extra warmth. Now we are REALLY getting hot. The tomatoes are so huge that the black plastic is completely hidden by the plants - so I will report what the black side does in this intense gulf coast heat/humidity. The setting fruit is huge, and so far I don't think the black side here has limited the set. Let's see about the actual production!
When I set my fall crop, I will defitely use the white side for my seedlings. It's my first year with EB's - so I accept any advice!

Seems like you are doing OK as is? If it works, Don't fix it!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, so far 9 black cherry tomatoes harvested and the others are numerous but staying green way longer than I can stand... We'll see what happens!

Okay-
I got the EB's, and set one of them up tonight- following the directions to a T, and using the white side of the cover- I decided to go with the white because my deck is nothing but full sun, and on those 90+ degree days its like an oven out there, especially since the edges of my roof are covered by that silver roof sealant. The floor boards on the deck get so hot that you can hardly walk on them sometimes.
I used Miracle Gro mix- at Lowe's it was the only product I could find that didn't have moisture crystals in it. Two cups of dolimitic lime in the top several inches. And my fertilizer granules are 10.10.10. I planted the tomatoes down to their first leaves, and then worked them through the x cuts.
Did I do okay? I'm one of those worrier type gardeners LOL :-)
I'm going to set up the other EB over the weekend, and the rest of my tomatoes are going in my 5 gallon buckets or those big muck buckets with handles (I bought three of those). I think those are big enough for two plants each. And I also am going to try a couple of plants in these nifty seven gallon plastic trash cans I found today.
Can't wait to see the tomatoes!!!
Samantha

Swanton, OH(Zone 5b)

I finally broke down and got 3 earth boxes locally today. They came with everything except the potting soil for $39.99 each. The potting soil cost me only $6 (organic).

I've set up one with tomato plants and will do the other 2 once I get the heck off the computer!

Samantha --- You did good! If your deck gets that hot I suggest that you put your three spaced bricks or pieces of wood under the EBs to keep them off the deck. Sounds like you have a hothouse there! LOL

bolino -- use potting mix and not potting soil. The organic soil you bought will say on the back of the bag in very small print "Do Not Use In Containers." Ebs are containers. Use Miracle-Gro potting mix without moisture control granules(blue bag), Jungle Growth, Sta-Green, ProMix from Walmart or any other quality mix but not organic or potting soil or you will be disappointed...

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

TPlant, I bought 3 earth boxes and have them set up on my deck. I'm only using one for tomatoes, the others I'm going to plant beans and cukes and train them up to make a sunscreen. I'l probably put out some basil and peppers too. It gets hot as hades out on my south facing deck, so I have the white side up on the box with the tomato in it. I'm hoping for the best.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Samantha,
You did an excellent job! Right to the letter.

Godspeed and good harvest! Keep us posted!

I'm a newbie, too. Here's my progress as of this week.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

And here's what my EBs look like.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

I had to pick my largest mater today, cause it was being attacked by some giant ORANGE ants! It sure fried up good, though!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

Gymgirl --- You did great girl! Soon you will be a pro! Congratulations on good clean plants. Keep em that way by spraying every two weeks although judging by your plants it looks like you have been doing that? Don't let the caterpillars get a foothold (pardon the pun )on your plants or they will chew them up overnite. They always strike when the tomatos are plump but still green and the new shoots are coming up on the top of plants. I have to keep a close eye on them down here as I am sure you will cause our climates are very similiar. Nice goin!! Oh! I notice an extra cinderblock under the center of the boards? LOL

Rose -- I hope you have better luck with cucumbers than I have although I do get beautiful cukes it isn't long after that I always get that durn "Cucumber mold" as I call it. Although you may not have such a problem because of your cooler and drier zone. I had the finest stringbeans this season. I'm sure you will also. Good Luck though I doubt you'll need any with EBs.

Paw,
You've got a memory like a tack! Yeah, there's an extra ciderblock. And, yeah, the scaffolding actually isn't even close to buckling or breaking. Matter of fact, I've stood up there WITH the EBs to stake them up! Never felt like it would give. So, we were ALL right!

Thanks for the advice about the worm. So far, it's the only one I've seen in the whole shabang, but that doesn't mean they're aren't more on the way. I'll spray the BBG tomorrown evening. Part of my problem is being able to concentrate comfortably while I'm among the mater branches. Just can't focus like I want/need to, for looking over my shoulder at ever creak, every noise, and heaven help me if I hear the dry leaves crackle! I'm a basket case by the time I come inside. Consequently, I'm not spending enough quality time outside with my maters....I'll try to get DH to spend more time in the lawn chair while I tend to my maters. I'm sure I'll be better able to spot the predators if he or someone else is out there with me.

Darn roaming pit bulls....

Hey,
Here's a pic of the Orange Ants that were all over my Prized Azoychka!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Swanton, OH(Zone 5b)

It is mix, not soil. I misspoke!

Gymgirl-
Those are some trippy looking ants!! I'm glad they're not up here- good luck with keeping them off your 'maters! And hopefully those pesky pups will leave you alone. Bring the DH :-)
Samantha

Or bring a gun!!

Hollywood, FL

Gymgirl, those bugs are not ants. They look to be the nymphs of the leaffooted bug.

Check this out:

http://ftsg.ifas.ufl.edu/LFBIBC.HTM

I am never happy when I see those bugs or stinkbugs (same family) on my tomatoes.

Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

Gymgirl - Cowpea got it right. Those leaffooted buggers drink maxd(bug b gone), doesn't bother them at all. To get rid of mine, I suck them up in a 12v vac cleaner. Kind of fun catching them. They try and hide on you, run around to the back of the leaf or stem, but just stick your nozzle around the back side and suck them off. Works like a charm. Ed

Waaaay Down South, GA

Good luck Gyngirl. I fought those critters last year. tsk tsk

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Here are some photos of some earth boxes that I made for my parents. They have lots of garden space but are unable to do traditional "in the soil" gardening any more. So I made 11 eboxes for them and planted out on Easter weekend: tomatoes, squash, eggplant, cantaloupe and watermelon.

Thumbnail by fiddle
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

This photo shows tomatoes (Better Boy, Roma and Sweet 100) maters.

Thumbnail by fiddle
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

This photo shows the Yellow Crookneck squash and Zucchini

Thumbnail by fiddle
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

how many squash and zuc's do you have per EB?

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

This photo shows the eggplant (Ichiban and Millionaire)

Thumbnail by fiddle
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Yellow Crookneck up close

Thumbnail by fiddle
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Cantaloupe (Supermarket)

Thumbnail by fiddle
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Watermelon (Orangeglo)

Thumbnail by fiddle
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Watermelon (Desert King)

Thumbnail by fiddle
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Watermelon (Crimson Sweet)

Thumbnail by fiddle
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

araness - [Q - how many squash and zuc's do you have per EB?]

originally planted 6 Crooknecks per box (two rows of 3 each per box)

originally planted 6 Zucs per box (two rows of 3 each per box)

planted per EarthBox instructions, but I believe 6 per box is too many. One plant in each box died, maybe got shaded too much by the large leaves.

Next season I will try only 4 per box.

How many do you recommend?

Waaaay Down South, GA

Wow tumble_weed!! Great goin! Who needs grass anyway. LOL You need to start your own thread soas we can watch your progress. I think I'll just pull up the shrubbs and line my yard with EB's. grin

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

tumble_weed,

Lookin good! I agree with 101, you need to start your own thread and keep those pictures coming!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I would think 4 also...I'm going to plant zuc's in fall and I had already settled on 4...

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.