AuthorContent
lexiekinz
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2007
7:29 PM

Post #3434524

Hi everyone,

My brother started me a compose "cage" last January with some old lumber and chicken wire. It's so handy to get rid of yard clipping and kitchen scraps. I work in a cafe and prep much of the produce, so I also get all the tomatoe tops, mushy totatoes, lettuce cores, onioin skins and banana peels. Card board boxes too. It's great! I guess it's working OK because even though the "cage" is small, 2'x4', it never gets full. I also put in dryer lint and hair from our brushes ... so that leads me to the question. Can I put in my used vacuum cleaner bags?

Thanks folks,

Lexie
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2007
7:50 PM

Post #3434582

Hey Lexie...I can't answer your question but what a great idea of recycling if the answer is yes!
You go girl!!
VEGGIEHAPPY
New Braunfels, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2007
1:23 PM

Post #3437145

You could put them in, but keep in mind some things:

Some items that might be in the bag will not compost (ie pins, screws, plastic candy wrappers, etc.)

If you are a strict organic gardener some things may not be suitable (chemical residue from carpet cleaners, deodorants, etc.)

Just some thoughts :-)
lexiekinz
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2007
3:40 PM

Post #3437522

Awwww! Yes, yes, understood. I should probably rip the bag and rumage for non compostables then. I was a bit concerned about the deodorants too. I think I'll be a little more picky when choosing a carpet freshener from now on then.

Thanks pinger and happy! :c)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America