Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: Composting.

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 3, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lexiekinz
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2007
7:29 PM

Post #3434524

Hi everyone,

My brother started me a compose "cage" last January with some old lumber and chicken wire. It's so handy to get rid of yard clipping and kitchen scraps. I work in a cafe and prep much of the produce, so I also get all the tomatoe tops, mushy totatoes, lettuce cores, onioin skins and banana peels. Card board boxes too. It's great! I guess it's working OK because even though the "cage" is small, 2'x4', it never gets full. I also put in dryer lint and hair from our brushes ... so that leads me to the question. Can I put in my used vacuum cleaner bags?

Thanks folks,

Lexie
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2007
7:50 PM

Post #3434582

Hey Lexie...I can't answer your question but what a great idea of recycling if the answer is yes!
You go girl!!
VEGGIEHAPPY
New Braunfels, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2007
1:23 PM

Post #3437145

You could put them in, but keep in mind some things:

Some items that might be in the bag will not compost (ie pins, screws, plastic candy wrappers, etc.)

If you are a strict organic gardener some things may not be suitable (chemical residue from carpet cleaners, deodorants, etc.)

Just some thoughts :-)
lexiekinz
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2007
3:40 PM

Post #3437522

Awwww! Yes, yes, understood. I should probably rip the bag and rumage for non compostables then. I was a bit concerned about the deodorants too. I think I'll be a little more picky when choosing a carpet freshener from now on then.

Thanks pinger and happy! :c)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America