Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: newly tilled garden question

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 8, Views: 162
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mmock
Otsego, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2007
7:53 PM

Post #3441659

I had my yard tilled today, it had never been dug up before, so there are lots of little clumps of grass. Can I leave those little clumps in there for a couple days, hope they dry up so I can use my Mantis to smooth out the ground? I was going to take all the clumps out but I woud have 100 wheelbarrows full, back breaking work. Thanks for any help.
Mary
crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2007
8:02 PM

Post #3441685

I would take them out, I'm afraid later you may have wished you did, you won't believe how much of that stuff is going to grow back. I think it's better to get it over with, When i dig a new bed I try to remove as much of the sod I can before working the soil. I know its a pain, but better in the long run.
jkehl
Rome, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2007
9:43 PM

Post #3442063

Yeah, a lot of the grass will have enough soil and moisture on the roots to live thru that. Blocking the light with mulch and/or raking the grass away from the planting area are your best bets.
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2007
11:22 PM

Post #3442348

those clumps of grass will really grow well now that the soil is aerated. but the clumps should be relatively loose because of the tilling, or so has been my experience.
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2007
2:30 AM

Post #3442674

I learned the hard way many years ago that removing the clumps after tilling is much, much easier than trying to dig up all the grass and weeds later.

The only other thing I can think of is lasagna gardening. If you've never heard of it do a Google search on it and you'll get tons of hits. It's somewhat based on the idea of what jkehl said about mulching. You start with a heavy layer of wet newspaper or cardboard to keep weeds at bay, then you layer (lasagna style) organic matter to the depth needed to plant. Most times tilling the (under) soil is not done. I don't see how it would hurt anything that your soil has been tilled though...anyone else with more lasagna beds than me can chime in here though.

Lasagna beds are great. The only problem I've ever had with them is coming up w/ enough materials to build them up. I've never seen such big worms show up so fast in any other beds, or plants do so well as in my lasagna beds!

Good luck!
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2007
7:34 AM

Post #3442830

I will give you the other side. I turn all sod down as a green manure. Nothing except edibles come off my fields, everything else is put back into the soil. Grasses can be a problem unless buried. Exceptions are Bermuda types which are not killed by cultivation and and are almost impossible to remove. Blue grass types are easy. Annuals like crabgrass can be be your worst grass pests.
mmock
Otsego, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2007
10:04 AM

Post #3443317

Thanks so much for all your advise. I'm still contemplating what I should do. They guy who tilled my ground went over it about 10 times with a tiller that you pull behind a big garden tractor. The grass pieces are really tore up good. I've had a 50/50 response so far on what to do. I'll keep ya posted.
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2007
5:57 PM

Post #3444860

it probably more depends on what you will be planting in the yard. at least they keep a weed seed from growing there.
mmock
Otsego, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2007
9:32 PM

Post #3445509

Well, today I used a pitch fork and that really helped a lot. I am getting a lot out. I am going to do a little at a time, I have so much tilled up. I have a big spot for a vegetable garden, another big spot for flowers, and had the fence line all tilled about 4'-5' deep.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America