Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Veggie Yields...

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 7, Views: 80
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2007
10:16 PM

Post #3445792

Could someone give me an approx. amount of yields, per plant, of the following veggies, please? I know that the number can be influenced by a number of factors...I just want to know a round about figure for a normal crop.
Thanks in advance!

Squash
Cucumbers
Hot Peppers
Bell Peppers
Cantaloupe
Green Beans
Okra
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2007
11:29 AM

Post #3447150

I had cucumbers last year...I think it was about four plants, and they took over 2/3 of my garden and I had cucumbers out the wazoo...only planting one this year. I don't remember what kind they were, I'm still kinda new at this. Hope that helps a little.

Kristie
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2007
9:08 AM

Post #3450309

Thanks Kristie...that's a start!

With all the seasoned gardeners out here in DG Land...there's no one that can give me a generalized idea?
I'm hoping to plant this weekend and I'm down to "working in" these last few veggies. I don't want to plant too much of one of them and have it take over the place like Kristie said and then not have hardly any of another veggies.
My main concern are the green beans and okra.
For example, will 2 okra plants provide me with okra for dinner through out the summer or will 2 plants give me enought okra to put in jars, say 20-25 pint jars and make pickled okra?
Same with green beans...
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2007
9:27 AM

Post #3450383

Depend on whether you like it fresh or stored in the frig for a couple of days. Okra gives you tow or three pods every oth day per plant. Green beans (bush)will give you about a peck at picking 15 ft row (roughly 50 plants) you should get two pickings, maybe a third smaller one depending on cultivar. Some like Commodore, will bear over a longer period but you will only get maybe a half gallon at a picking.

Summer squash, two- four fruits per bush, twice a week depending on cultivar. Cantaloupe, 2-12 fruits per vine depending on cultivar. The small ones have more numbers.
Bell peppers 4-12 per plant depending on cultivar. Hot peppers run from dozens to hundreds depending on cultivar.
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2007
11:22 AM

Post #3450844

Thank you so much Farmerdill!
That's just what I needed!
Have a wonderful day... :)
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2007
2:57 PM

Post #3451553

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that cucumbers can be staked or trellised if you want to keep them off the ground and from taking up so much room(I didn't do that last year). I don't know from experience if it works, but that's what I've heard. That might help save a little space
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2007
3:17 PM

Post #3451630

Thanks Kristie! That's what I'm planning to do!
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2007
3:46 PM

Post #3451713

No problem...good luck with the veggies!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America