Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Grass and Bamboo: Please help identify

Communities > Forums > Grass and Bamboo
bookmark
Forum: Grass and BambooReplies: 10, Views: 125
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jachurch
Apple Valley, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 30, 2007
9:33 AM

Post #3446899

This grass appeared last summer in the road ditch along my friend's farm fields. We're trying to decide if it might be an ornamental grass that might look nice in a yard planting or if it might be an invasive species that she should eradicate post haste.

The fluffy seed head is quite attractive through the winter, and the closely segmented stems are rather unusual for Minnesota grasses.

Suggestions?

Thanks! Jeannine

Thumbnail by jachurch
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jachurch
Apple Valley, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 30, 2007
9:35 AM

Post #3446902

Here's another shot of the same plant - close-up of the seed head.

Thumbnail by jachurch
Click the image for an enlarged view.

donn
Great South Bay, Lon, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2007
4:08 PM

Post #3447948

I'll take a shot. It may be a species of Equisetum, possibly E. arvense. It's not an uncommon denizen of drainage ditches.
jachurch
Apple Valley, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 1, 2007
9:20 AM

Post #3450356

Thank you, Donn,

Based on what I read about Equisetum on the Wikipedia page, it might be a good idea to make sure this thing doesn't spread beyond the ditch in which it is growing. I doubt the cattle in the adjoining pasture would like it, we don't want to eat it, and it sounds as though it can be invasive.

Jeannine

chefspaz
Pleasant Hill, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2007
12:49 AM

Post #3575668

That is Pampas Grass: Cortaderia sp. (probably -jubata). It is invasive like crazy, and it grows huge, with razor sharp, long leaves. It is tender, tho, so I doubt it would survive the winter...(you live in MN?)

Chefspaz
chefspaz
Pleasant Hill, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2007
1:01 AM

Post #3575731

More postscripts...I can see how it could look like an Equisitum (spell?) because of the stalk segments. If this is indeed a Cortaderia, these stalks wave from the bush, which is a thick mound of grassblade leaves that fountain out from a core. The bush looks like "Cousin It" from the Addams family...like a green haystack.
They are really difficult to eradicate- unless the cold does away with it. Must have come off of somebody's decoration?

Chefspaz
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

June 5, 2007
1:24 AM

Post #3575851

Actually, that is phragmites, a non-native invasive grass. It may be impossible to eradicate entirely, but you definitely don't want it in the yard!
chefspaz
Pleasant Hill, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2007
4:46 AM

Post #3576674

No way! Pampas Grass!

Chefspaz
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2007
1:58 PM

Post #3577953

I think PrairieGirl is right, here's a pic of Phragmites that looks a lot like this one
http://www.yale.edu/fes505b/phragmites.html

Here's Pampas grass at a similar level of detail, definitely not the same. Pampas grass (as in Cortaderia genus) is not going to grow in MN, although I think there's a species of Miscanthus that goes by that common name and is found there.
http://k53.pbase.com/u36/jwalk/large/23717784.pampas2.jpg
chefspaz
Pleasant Hill, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2007
7:52 PM

Post #3579170

OK- without actually seeing the plant, what can I say? I am familiar with Cortaderia & that whitish seed-head looks exactly like it. I am not acquainted with Phragmites at all. Logic would keep Pampas Grass out of MN, anyway.

Chefspaz
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

June 6, 2007
12:35 AM

Post #3580197

That's okay Chefspaz, it's not a contest, LOL. Much to my dismay, I learned about phragmites from someone involved in restorations, when I too was inquiring too about this hardy, stately grass.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Grass and Bamboo Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bamboo stakes tiG 10 Nov 3, 2011 1:16 PM
Black bamboo question linden 51 Aug 6, 2008 3:15 PM
Hardy bamboos at zone 6 Esther_z6 21 May 6, 2008 12:31 AM
A few clumps of my grass :) hczone6 32 Sep 5, 2007 2:47 AM
Bamboo Seedling Speedyg 2 Feb 16, 2008 3:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America