Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Leaves are turning brown

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 11, Views: 124
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LetsGo
Port Townsend, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2007
11:17 PM

Post #3449471

I have 3 beautiful plants known as "Jack Frost." I have them all in the same garden and all have wood mulch. One of them, the leaves are turning brown, even leaves that are not touching the mulch. Any ideas?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2007
11:24 PM

Post #3449489

Do you know what type of plant they are? I checked Plant Files, and there are cultivars of Brunnera, privet, rose, Heuchera, daylily, hosta, cucumber, redwood, and hibiscus with that name, these all have different requirements so without knowing which one you have it's going to be a lot harder to figure out what's wrong. Also, can you tell us a little more about the conditions (sun/shade, how often do you water, fertilize, did you just plant them or have they been there for a while, etc). A picture would really help too if you can get one--there are a ton of things that can make leaves turn brown so a picture and as much info as possible will really help figure out what's wrong.
LetsGo
Port Townsend, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2007
10:43 AM

Post #3450717

Yes, sorry. They are Brunnera. I have enclosed a picture. Like I say, 2 out of 3 in the same conditions are doing well so I'm not sure what is going on with this one. They are all planted in a shade/part shade garden. They were planted April 8, so less than a month ago. I gave them all about a tablespoon of Miracle Grow away from the roots. The soil is a compost/soil mix. I live in Washington so I don't water them much because of the rain but have watered them if we go a week or so without rain. This one is closer to a wood fence than the others so it is in a bit of a shadier location but just feet away from the others. Thanks for your help.

This message was edited May 1, 2007 11:13 AM

Thumbnail by LetsGo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2007
4:50 PM

Post #3451921

Is that one tablespoon of the 'all purpose' miracle gro? That's supposed to be mixed with a gallon of water, and people commonly mix it weaker than the instructions say to, because of the risk of over-feeding and burning the plants. I can't say with any certainty what your plant's problem is, but leaf tips browning can be a sign of too much fertilizer.
LetsGo
Port Townsend, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2007
7:52 PM

Post #3452535

It's the all-purpose shake and feed which says don't mix with water. It's the slow-release 3 month fertilizer. Maybe I shouldn't have put any in the soil at all. Should I dig it up and switch out the soil?
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2007
7:57 PM

Post #3452555

if you did overfertilize just flush with water.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 1, 2007
8:53 PM

Post #3452806

It's generally better not to fertilize right away when you plant something, let it get established a little bit first. No need to dig it up though, honestly your plant doesn't look in that bad shape, as long as you're not seeing the problem progress to more and more leaves I wouldn't worry about it.
LetsGo
Port Townsend, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2007
11:23 AM

Post #3454745

You know, I think I've made every fertilizer mistake in the book. I've used the wrong kind, now I've overfertilized. Maybe I should just put the fertilizer down! Put it down and step away from the plant!
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2007
6:28 PM

Post #3459985

it's probably just that the roots need to settle and catch up with the leaves, but at any rate I'd just water it some more.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2007
8:01 PM

Post #3460242

It doesn't look like underwatering--and since many more plants die from overwatering than from underwatering I wouldn't water it more than you have been unless the weather's gotten hotter or something.
BSD
Conway, SC

May 3, 2007
9:10 PM

Post #3460490

LetsGo, Your plant doesn't look so bad. That is a common mistake that we have all made--overfertilizing. When you purchase most plants, they usually have a time-released fertilizer in them. I have found it is always safer to use a water based fertilizer (Miracle Gro)
Also, I have had problems with plants when using cedar mulch. You might consider pulling the mulch away from the base of your plants.
Did you mix the fertilizer in the soil or did you shake it on top of the mulch and then watered it in?
LetsGo
Port Townsend, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2007
2:36 PM

Post #3462707

I mixed it in and thought I kept it away from the roots, but its certainly possible I didn't.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America