Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Japanese Maples: Do you know this variety??

Communities > Forums > Japanese Maples
bookmark
Forum: Japanese MaplesReplies: 30, Views: 456
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2007
3:55 PM

Post #3451738

They said I should ask here!!
Thanks!!
:)
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/718437/

Susan

Thumbnail by soulgardenlove
Click the image for an enlarged view.

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 1, 2007
9:59 PM

Post #3453120

It could be 'Butterfly' but someone else may have a different idea. There aren't that many common variegated varieties.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/74532/
Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2007
10:39 PM

Post #3453270

That was my first guess if it is grafted ... David
mattlwfowler
Walhalla, SC

May 1, 2007
10:56 PM

Post #3453325

Looks a bit more like 'beni shichihenge' to me...since butterfly usually has more of a light pink by this time of year (although you might be behind).
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2007
11:22 PM

Post #3453511

Beni Shichihenge is my guess too, the dark red is typical of what I've seen at our local nursery.

Laura
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2007
7:52 AM

Post #3454070

Well.. isn't this interesting!! I so appreciate the info!!

The name on the tag last year DID say "Butterfly"...as grown by a home grower that sells out of her back yard, so the tag was hers and hand written... and she doesn't specialize in Japanese Maples.. I just happened to see this and my heart jumped. It was $5!!!!

I was confused as the word, "rainbow" was the one sticking out in my head.. which is why I shouldn't count on my head to remember things.. The tag is under ground somewhere. However, I've looked at the pictures here and on google and it does seem to more closely resemble 'beni shichihenge' but a comment in the PF by Todd Boland and comments I've found elsewhere say they are very close.. so maybe mine is butterfly and one just hasn't been pictured like mine yet in the PF's? I would like to put it in the PF's, so ya think Butterfly is a safe bet?

Thanks!!
Susan
Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2007
12:09 PM

Post #3454921

Your area was freeze effected although this may have been put inside or been in a green house it could have been effected by cooler temps ...the most apprapros question is is it grafted if not how was it proagated... if seed grown it is not truly either!! david
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2007
4:10 PM

Post #3455837

I called her today to inquire about other plants and she said it is Butterfly.. How she grew it I don't know and it is planted outdoors and not protected..

Susan
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2007
8:33 PM

Post #3456718

It's pretty regardless!

Laura
roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2007
5:49 PM

Post #3459874

I'm voting for Beni Shishihenge because of the red/pink tinge. hard to say though! Attached is a photo of my Butterfly, about 3 years old. Photo taken this afternoon!

Though now that I look at them side by side, I see your photo shows leaves with more "serrated" edges than my Beni Shishihenge. My butterfly definitely has that same leaf type.

This message was edited May 3, 2007 2:58 PM

Thumbnail by roxysgarden

roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2007
5:56 PM

Post #3459897

And here's a photo of my Beni Shishihenge. It's a bit blurry because it's very windy outside today!

Thumbnail by roxysgarden

Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2007
6:21 PM

Post #3459962

A lttle late Roxy the plant has been identified by grower as Butterfkly see 2 posts above your first post ...D
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2007
10:07 PM

Post #3460716

Yes, but Roxy isn't the only one with doubts! http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/718437/ I'm going to take more pics! :)

Susan
roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2007
10:25 PM

Post #3460795

Well, I think I've talked myself out of it being Beni Shishehenge, but I'm not convinced it's Butterfly, either! I've never seen Butterfly (at least around here) with that much red/pink in the leaves, but the leaf shape is definitely right with those serrated edges.

Besides, I'm always looking for an excuse to post photos of my maples! I plan to get some photos of all my favorites this weekend to post. I only lost one this winter!
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 4, 2007
12:06 AM

Post #3461198

Susan, the amount of pink on the edges of the leaves and the amount of green in the leaf are determined by the amount of sunshine. It varies tremendously. I was going to post a photo of my Butterfly foliage but then didn't as mine is in bright shade so stays mostly white with little green all year long. I thought that it would confuse things.

Here's a photo of summer foliage on a tree with more sun.
http://www.carlmontnursery.com/product.asp?product_id=502§ion=177
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2007
9:56 AM

Post #3461885

"In the spring, the cream portion of the leaves are pink and in the fall the cream portions are a magenta color. The growth is usually short and twiggy to a large shrub or small tree." -- from the web site.. but yes, I agree, the pictures don't match up do they? I will continue to photograph and see how it changes throughout the season.. Regardless of the variety, I just love it though!!

Susan
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 4, 2007
12:16 PM

Post #3462305

Susan - I think that the website is wrong about short and shrubby. My tree and most sites say that Butterfly is a small upright tree.
mattlwfowler
Walhalla, SC

May 4, 2007
8:08 PM

Post #3463635

Small upright and shrubby would best describe it I think. Most trees that I have seen have been somewhat bushy but with an upright tree shape. So, somewhere between a tree and a large lanky shrub is what I would expect to see.

Meanwhile, 'beni shichihenge' seems to lean a bit more towards tree form from what I've seen.
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2007
8:05 AM

Post #3464883

Well... it was a tiny little baby when I got it last year and it's just a little more than that right now... so, it would be quite a while before I saw the full growth! :)

I'll just keep it out of the PF's for now and just enjoy it regardless of name! :)

Can anyone point me to a thread that shows how propagation of Japanese Maples is done? I'm curious how my back yard seller made more of these.. Thanks :)

Susan
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2007
12:58 PM

Post #3465623

The butterfly JMs I've seen in my area, which probably number about a half dozen 3-9 foot trees, all are upright and very vertical in shape with a little "vase" towards the top. Maybe they were pruned that way, but the were one of the narrower JM shapes I've seen.

Laura
john_hosie
Gaithersburg, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2008
11:07 PM

Post #4975464

I know it has been a year since this thread was posted to...but I do have a Butterfly that I've had 15-20 years. We moved it about a year and a half ago. It has never gotten over 6-7 ft tall. Other than my wife deciding to "prune" it one year, and this year a branch coming down from a silver maple and taking out a chunk of it, it has been a faithful tree. Occasionally I remove branches that form from below the graft. I also pluck branches (usually very small) with non-variegated leaves. From what I see, this has a whole bunch more white than the 'beni shichihenge' I've seen. I posted a pic on another thread. But I'll post a different one here...

Thumbnail by john_hosie

ajaxmd
Vienna, WV

May 20, 2008
12:02 AM

Post #4975689

It looks like a gorgeous Japanese maple I saw at a local nursery called Floating Cloud. Not sure of Latin name, but I could check if you want...
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2008
12:55 PM

Post #4977749

That's gorgeous :)

My Maple succumbed to drought and died. I have irrigation and a well now, so i can water as needed but this was a casualty last year before it was all put into place :( Hope to find and grow another one soon.

Susan
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2008
4:36 PM

Post #4978642

Sorry you lost your Butterfly Susan. That's always a hard thing. I'm glad that you've got irrigation in so that won't be aproblem anymore
john_hosie
Gaithersburg, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2008
5:54 PM

Post #4978993

Butterflies are one of the more common variegated cultivars out there. You should not have trouble finding it at your local nursery.

I've been buying eBay JMs - mostly from jherter and houseofmaples. I've been frustrated by them, though. It seems the one-year grafts have not been quite as stable as I would have hoped. I probably bought too many to start with. Out of 21, (I'll give pics of those that are still around) I've ended up with four dead, and three with the grafted branch dying, but the host tree remaining alive and leafing out on its own.

I've had a particularly tough time with Peaches & Cream. I've gotten one from each of these guys. (I think) Both have succumbed. I finally went to someone else - I think it was acer198797. I expect it to arrive within a week. We'll see if it does better.

I also was surprised to find what I thougth were first year grafts at Home Depot. I've picked up a couple of these. I'll let y'all know how all do, and do the best I can to match names and pics.

One disappointment: jherter's trees arrive with a little label on the outside of the wrapping he puts on the pot. (House of Maples has a nice plastic tag wrapped around the trunk.) I mixed up the trees and tags when things had to be moved around. So now I have to go back and match names to trees based on appearances. I've found that appearances in pictures do not always come all that close to reality in front of your face.
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2008
9:41 AM

Post #4982238

Good to know thanks! I rarely see anything at HD that is as unusual, but I will certainly keep my eyes open. I have purchased plants on EBay and the shipping charges eat me up!... But sometimes you've just gotta have it! :)

plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2008
12:00 AM

Post #4998671

Susan, try Home Depot. I bought one last week - probably 2-1/2 to 3 ft tall - not very full but it was only $14.97.

john_hosie
Gaithersburg, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2008
2:04 AM

Post #4999085

The key to buying eBay stuff is to find a seller who has what you want, and then look for what else he's selling that you'd like. Then buy 4 or so at a time.

For instance, jherter wants $7.50 for shipping on the first one year graft. But each extra one you want costs another $3 for shipping. Batch em together and you get a good deal. I think House of Maples had the same deal. acer198797 was a little more per extra tree, but between the packaging and the quality of the trees, I think it was worth it.

I have also watched the "buy it now" prices. If I see one that is particularly reasonable, I go for it - rather than jump into an auction and take my chances.

Finally, decide how far you are willing to go early. I've found that you can get a lot of the trees for $10-13 if you are patient. There are nuts (and I've been one) who choose to bid over $25 on a tree starting at under $10. But if you decide, for instance, that you're not going over $15, bid that much and don't be concerned if you lose. They offer these same trees over and over again - and sometimes they even email you for a "second chance offer" where they'll sell you a tree at the price you bid. There were only a few trees that I bid on that I really felt I HAD to have. The rest, it was just a matter of waiting. I saw Germain's Gyration go for over $20 several times. But eventually I picked it up for $10. You just have to wait for the squirrels to take care of all the nuts and you'll get a bargain.

I have to say, though, even though it was a little crazy to bid $25 on a tree, the Eskimo Sunset was worth it.

Thumbnail by john_hosie

soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2008
11:31 PM

Post #5017316

Thanks for the info! :)

I met a real live guy in one of my garden clubs who claimed to have paid $200 for a daylilly he had to have... I wonder if it came with drinks and dinner! :)

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 29, 2008
1:13 AM

Post #5017783

There have been daylilies that have gone at auction for thousands (yes, count them) thousands of dollars. If he claimed that he spent $200.00 that's probably what he paid. New intros start at $75.00 and go up from there.
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2008
10:10 PM

Post #5032266

hmmm.. i guess there is a market for everything :) I vacillate on a daylily if it's $5-7 !! :)

I like quality with my flowers... but I certainly lean toward economy and quantity :)

Susan

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Japanese Maples Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Japanese maple Ginger_H 6 Sep 13, 2008 11:19 PM
Threadleaf Japanese Maple hczone6 6 Mar 1, 2010 1:36 AM
MY jm's that survived and thrived last winter zone 5b Davidsan 38 Feb 26, 2010 12:05 AM
Largosmom's Japanese Maples largosmom 62 Nov 22, 2007 8:55 PM
Can you tell me what kind this is? nikki_conway 23 Apr 17, 2008 1:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America