Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: paperwhites

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 10, Views: 74
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2007
4:24 PM

Post #3451826

I had gotten some paperwhites that I forced this winter. The box said they could be planted outside...other things I've read said they're pretty much done after they bloom. Anyone in my area 5b have paperwhites outside or know if they will survive? I've already planted them in my garden...

Kristie
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 1, 2007
7:59 PM

Post #3452566

They are put in the ground here in zone 9, but they are not hardy...hate to give you the sad news...
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2007
9:33 PM

Post #3453001

*sigh*...thanks for telling me though...the box lied! They're my daughter's birth flower, I was hoping to keep them around...Oh well.

Thanks

Kristie
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2007
8:12 AM

Post #3454150

what we often do is wait until your last frost is over and plant the bulbs in the ground (new bulbs that is)...you can save them in the refrigerator...that is what i do...as I have to buy them when they become available...at the end of the summer after the foliage has died, you can dig them up and save them again...
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2007
9:38 AM

Post #3454437

So, I should have kept the bulbs and refrigerated them instead of planting them? Dang it.

Kristie
wildgardengirl
Gregory, MI

May 2, 2007
2:33 PM

Post #3455491

If they are true paperwhites than they will not survive in our zone, they are supposed to be zone 8-10. However, there are many narcissus that ARE hardy in our zone - paperwhite narcissus are in the daffodil family. I have some that my grandmother called paperwhites that come back fine each year - along with several other narcissus varieties.

You are probably fine having planted them out for our summer - but you may want to keep track of where and dig them up again in the fall as gessiegail suggested just in case. Or you could dig most of them up and leave one or two in as an experiment to see if they are hardy in our zone.

In our zone bulbs such as tulips and daffodil are planted in the fall - mid-late Oct usually.
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2007
11:11 PM

Post #3457370

Thanks, I think I'll do that wildgardengirl. Maybe they are hardy in our zone...the box said I could put them outside...lol.

Anyway, anyone know anything about coleus? I posted a question on another forum, but haven't gotten an answer to it. I just bought some, and want to plant it, but don't know what's best for it. Do they need bigger containers to grow, or do they like to be root bound. Also, the only soil I have left is African Violet soil...would that be bad to use? And, any creative container ideas would be cool...I'd like to make something visually striking...

Kristie
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2007
8:59 AM

Post #3458253

Go to container gardening...some awesome pics on there using coleus...I wouldn't waste African Violet soil...when I put plants on hold before going into the ground or pots, I use 1/2 miracle grow soil and 1/2 perlite...they probably need to have their soil changed anyway...growers soil is not good for holding over...
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2007
11:08 AM

Post #3458759

Thanks for the info...I'd just decided I'd hold off on planting them til I get a new bag of soil...this may sound stupid, but is perlite the little white ball things? If so, doesn't most potting soil come with it already in it?

Kristie
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2007
8:44 AM

Post #3464962

kls_01
potting soil is ok...I just like to keep it very light so I add perlite (the little white ball things)...you have to water more often when you add perlite to a potting mix...and you have to faithfully fertilize, but the roots get more air...it is a personal preference...
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2007
12:11 AM

Post #3467383

Gotcha...I'm starting to catch on :) thanks.

Kristie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America