Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BackyardHens
Antrim, NH

May 1, 2007
8:01 PM

Post #3452577

Well, since we've all got some many new chicks, thought it was time to talk about your favorite chicken names again. Here are my all time faves. Someone else is welcome to use any you want! Share yours.

Share the love.

Attila the Hen
Peeping Tom ( just thought of that one last night)
Artemis Fowl
Pandora
Medusa ( turned out to be a roo, rechristened Me'Duder)
Sassypants ( DH named that one!)
Twinkletoes.

I also have/had:
Winged Victory, Queen Elizabeth, Vidallia, Cleopatra, Hildegard, Butterball, Yuliana, Cumulonimbus,
El Dorado, Piccadilly, Ursula, Irene, Oona McCool and Savannah.

The new group is named Twinkletoes, Ariadne, Hippolyta, Ishtar, Siddartha, Sassypants, Peeping Tom, Amelia, Macadamia, Tuscany, Sahara, Amaretto and one not named yet! alsough, some may chnage if I get any better ideas. ( hint, hint)

I love chicken names! What do you name your chickens?
Mine are straight run ( mostly) this time, so I am trying to choose gender neutral names as much as I can.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2007
8:50 PM

Post #3452797

Well , Lets see, We all know CockleLooLoo, and there is Mama Barrrock, Paw Paw and Pawlonia, Popcorn and Pickles, Puff daddy and fancy Pants, the Japanese so far are, Happy Feet, Suna, Mijikai(midget),and Sushi.
turkeybeard
Monticello, GA

May 1, 2007
10:19 PM

Post #3453193

My reds are Henrietta,,,Hortense and Hav-at-it.
Still gotta come up with the lorps names, but they all look the same and are not as friendly as the reds.
The araucannas are the only ones that are totally different.
They are arauhit,
arauann,
and araumiss.
Get it? ...Hit and miss.

Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2007
11:56 PM

Post #3453602

Well, in my coop we've got...

Lucy & Ethel (Ameraucanas I got for Mother's Day last year, which started my whole "life with chickens" experience.)

Eunice & Harriet (Rhode Island Reds who are like two nosey sisters - always sticking their beaks in, wanting to see what I'm doing when I'm outside.)

Betty (A Frizzle who runs around like the sky is falling.)

Miss Scarlet (Millie Fleur who has gone broody on me.)

...And before he went to a new home, we had
The Colonel
(Millie Fleur rooster named after Colonel Sanders of KFC)
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2007
12:47 AM

Post #3453701

I can't remember who it was, but someone here on DG last year said they named all their roos "Food". She said she would call to them and say "Here Food, Food !
She said it made it easier, because they butchered all their roos.

I have an Amercauna with the tufted face. Her name is Fuzz-face.

We used to have a little tiny reddish blonde bantam hen. Her feathers were the same color as I remember my grandmother's hair. And she was so tiny, reminded me of how tiny my grandmother was, only 4'10".
Her name was Clementine, so we named the little hen Clementiny.

BackyardHens
Antrim, NH

May 2, 2007
7:58 AM

Post #3454092

love them! I like when chickens are named after old fashioned lady names.

My mother had a few old aunts when she was growing up, and her chickens were named after them ~ Ethel, Irene, LindaLee, Hattie, Mabel and one incontinent chicken fondly refered to as Bad*ss. ( She always had a very dirty butt)
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2007
3:33 PM

Post #3455694

How funny.

My mom had an old aunt that was on the ornery side during the days of prohibition, (her younger years) she was a 'flapper' and had quite the reputation in the family. She ran around with a bunch of people who were involved in bootlegging liquor. The family used to refer to her as
"Dirty Gertie", as her name was Gertrude. We named our naughty brahama hen Dirty Gertie, after her. Although our Dirty Gertie never had a chance to cause quite the scandal the aunt did. She did eventually run off, and join up with our back neighbors flock. Maybe they were a little faster crowd...The name was a perfect fit after all.

MQN
Salt Lake City, UT
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2007
4:46 PM

Post #3455943

The cast...

Cleopatra - Americauna
Athena - Bantam - blonde feather legged
Sophia - Americauna
Tanis - Bantam - black feather legged

The crew...

Mean
Queen
Nadine

BYH - you also have a Cleo...so is it Great Minds think alike or is it Simple seldom differ...I'm going to go with GREAT! Just because I am in such good company. Otherwise, well lets just say I don't have delusions...
turkeybeard
Monticello, GA

May 2, 2007
9:06 PM

Post #3456820

Yep!!! Glenda,,,these reds of mine are a nosey bunch too! Great birds though.,,Very friendly and curious...The first that I got ,,so they are my faves!

Thumbnail by turkeybeard
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BackyardHens
Antrim, NH

May 2, 2007
9:19 PM

Post #3456859

MQN I'm loving the name Tanis. Nice. I think Osiris would be a good roo name.
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2007
11:13 PM

Post #3457379

Turkeybeard, if my two RIR were human, they would be telephone operators who would listen in on your phone call and then gossip around town about all the juicy news they heard. They really (can't) keep their beaks out of anything going on in the yard. Nosey busybodies...

They are MY favorites too! ;)
turkeybeard
Monticello, GA

May 3, 2007
8:54 AM

Post #3458239

Glenda,,,sounds like maybe you used to be an operator,,lol, just kidding. Do they follow you around all the time , too?
BackyardHens
Antrim, NH

May 3, 2007
4:38 PM

Post #3459662

My flock has taken to following me around the yard. LOL, it's so funny! My worst gossipers are the silver laced wyandottes. They never shut up and they like to follow you around and make comments, but are super skittish about being touched.
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2007
4:41 PM

Post #3459672

Oh yeah... They "shadow" me now and then. They also go in the garage while my DH is working on his grandfather's tractor and look over his shoulder too. ...He loves that. (Not really) ;)

It's just the way they hold their neck and head when they're being nosey. ...How can I explain it? ...I got it - you've seen commercials on TV where a man is sitting in a coffee shop or airport and he's working on his lap top. Then the guy next to him ever so slightly leans and stretches his neck a little so that he can see what's on the lap top screen? That's exactly how the RIRs do it when they're being nosey. ...Makes me laugh every time! ~:>
nicksmom30
Robertsville, MO

May 3, 2007
5:20 PM

Post #3459791

Do you lady's have any other names???
I have 6 barred rocks still have to name any ideas???
Tracey
turkeybeard
Monticello, GA

May 3, 2007
10:34 PM

Post #3460824

I am no certainly no lady! But could possibly come up with a name or two.
Surely I can!!! And don't call me Shirley!
Roxxanne comes to mind... or roxxy...or maybe barb..or barbie...how 'bout barrock obonination... sorry , going off the name pool edge... I know, just call them as a group,,,
The Rockettes!
Shirley!!! I need another drink, honey!
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2007
11:03 PM

Post #3460927

Nicksmom30,
You could pick 3 famous duos, like...

Laverne & Shirley
Wilma & Betty
Fonzie & Richie
Lone Ranger & Tonto
...You get the idea. :)
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2007
11:13 PM

Post #3461054

Or... If you're an American history buff, you could name them after our first 6 "First Ladies":

MARTHA (1) - George Washington
ABIGAIL - John Adams
MARTHA (2) - Thomas Jefferson
DOLLEY - James Madison
ELIZABETH - James Monroe
LOUISA - John Quincy Adams
nicksmom30
Robertsville, MO

May 4, 2007
8:24 AM

Post #3461646

Thank you ,,
Turkbread you make me smile and laught to brighten my day ..
Glenda_michigan,
I like Roxxy,Elizabeth..
Thanks any more???

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2007
9:33 AM

Post #3461813

Excuse me, Turkeybeard! Ahem , Now we all know what the name is of My Mama Barred Rock , dont We????? I kinda thought Mama Barrrock , was kinda cute! ( Sniff, sniff)

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa, I could have said she was from Alabama,and named her" Mama Barrrock Of 'Bama"

This message was edited May 4, 2007 9:49 AM
MQN
Salt Lake City, UT
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2007
11:54 AM

Post #3462242

I like the comedian Eddie Izzard at one point I was planning to name them Eggie & Gizzard but my ladies are too pretty.
Mean
Queen
Nadine
Halnik
Smithville
Canada

May 4, 2007
12:11 PM

Post #3462295

We had a pair of Barred Rocks and the kids called them Salt 'N Pepper. Our roo, who's a cross between a RIR and a Harco Black, they call Cajun.
nicksmom30
Robertsville, MO

May 4, 2007
3:22 PM

Post #3462846

to cute lololo...
what about bonnie and clide???
turkeybeard
Monticello, GA

May 4, 2007
8:30 PM

Post #3463695

MQN,,If you name them after Eddie izzard,,you might want to dress them in drag from time to time,,,Don't know how you would go about that, anyway! Maybe a tiara , or some feaux feathers draped over their necks,, or hey! maybe some fishnets on their legs...LOL
BackyardHens
Antrim, NH

May 5, 2007
4:40 PM

Post #3466157

If you had a bunch of roos and one hen) that you were planning to get rid of, you could name them after all the presidential candidates and as they drop out, or get the axe, one might say?? you could eat them! then whoever wins the presidency gets to stay alive.
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2007
8:51 PM

Post #3466746

BackyardHen, that's a BRILLIANT idea!! I laughed outloud! There could be a victory party and everything! ~:>
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

May 5, 2007
9:13 PM

Post #3466812

Okay, I wasn't making a political statement here. LOL With a first name like Barack, it fits.
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2007
12:01 AM

Post #3467366

That's OK! I got it! It was a good one! :)

...The folks on DG are so cleaver. :)
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2007
12:03 AM

Post #3467370

...I mean, clever!!!!

LOLOLOLO :)
BackyardHens
Antrim, NH

May 6, 2007
8:13 AM

Post #3467831

and sometimes cleaver! That's why I only do egg hens. I don't want to be any more cleaver than I have to be! lol.
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2007
8:36 AM

Post #3467858

BYH, you're a hoot!! LOL ...nothing like a Freudian slip.

Hey, there's a name for a roo - Sigmund! Or you could call him Siggy for short...
BackyardHens
Antrim, NH

May 6, 2007
4:05 PM

Post #3469134

My husband just suggested Valkerie.

You could name a Cuckoo Maran Miranda!

Or a barred rock Bridget Bardot
WigglyPaw
Hastings, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2007
2:53 AM

Post #3474851

My original pair of Dominiques, they are Mr. and Mrs. Bocker.

my geese are known collectively as "the Weeders".

Pekin ducks are group named as a team "The Kwispy Kwackers".

We are finishing off 48 meat birds, down to corn and scratch and
low pro feed now. another 2 weeks.

I have 100 meat chicks coming soon. I ordered a custom mix from
our mill, the cost is $78.56 for 500lbs! and thats for the 22% non
medicated!

I think my egg-girls are starting to lay smaller eggs. Are they going
down the path of smaller and smaller eggs and then stopping?
Or is this just a phase? I thought the elder chickens laid the larger
eggs.

I love chicken names
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2007
3:31 AM

Post #3474868

You know, WigglyPaw...

You could collectively name your 100 MEAT chickens, hens & roos, "Gloom & Doom". ;)
nicksmom30
Robertsville, MO

May 9, 2007
9:02 AM

Post #3478728

wigglypaw, it is a phase that they are going throw..
Love th names any more come to mind?
Tracey
BackyardHens
Antrim, NH

May 9, 2007
9:45 PM

Post #3481197

Oh I could name chickens all day.
chickenlover12
Stilwell, OK

April 2, 2008
10:50 PM

Post #4747626

My chickens are named...

Daisy,Duke, Red Sox, Angel, Maui, Getog(chicken in Cherokee), River. I still have babies to name. Please give some suggestions!
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

April 2, 2008
11:17 PM

Post #4747718

My roos are named Rocky (RIR) and Bruno and Clyde (BAs) and no, I wouldn't name him Bonnie. Although I once knew a 300# male police officer named Bonnie.

I have also had chicks named Cookie (Buttercup when I was a kid), Trouble (Aracauna) and Grinch (RIR)

This message was edited Apr 2, 2008 7:20 PM
beth_donovan
Easton, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2008
11:25 PM

Post #4747810

Chickenlover2,

I have 24 babies, 23 of whom need names! My grown up and laying hens are Helga, Brownie, Ruby and Pebbles. My big rooster is Rocky and my bantam white crested black polish rooster is Satchmo. He is in separate living quarters because Rocky wants to kill him.

The only chick I have named so far is Polly - she lost an eye the first day I got her when the brooder lamp fell down. So I thought of pirates who wear patches over one eye and their parrots - so she is named Polly. She is doing just great, by the way.

What's really funny is I bought all these chicks and I have no idea what kind they are! They are all the big laying hen breeds, but that's all I know!

I also have two nameless ducklings!

I love your names!
BackyardHens
Antrim, NH

April 2, 2008
11:55 PM

Post #4747966

I just love chicken names. I do try to name them something either grand or fussy, as chickens tend to be both.

I now also have General Tso Chicken. You could have Spicy Chicken or Sesame Chicken, too...
Catscan
Lodi
United States

April 3, 2008
12:20 AM

Post #4748084

Hi chickenlover. I find it helps to go with theme names--I named my current batch after cheeses, like Cheddar and Colby. I plan to move on with flowers, like Rose, Larkspur and Buttercup. Of course after you name them, you sometimes find the name doesn't fit--so stay flexible!
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

April 3, 2008
3:01 AM

Post #4748968

We have chickens with all sorts of names. Some of our standard size chickens are Jumper, Sleeper, Pooper, Poozie, Ginger, Chick, Eagle, KJ just to name a few. (the kids named them)
Bantams we have Brownie(Golden laced Polish), Speckles (Silver Sebright), Smudge (Silver laced bearded polish), Banana (white non bearded polish) and PJ (Blue Cochin). We also have baby bantams not yet named.
We have standard size roosters named, Sir Fozworth Peckfellow, Baby, and Splits.
We also have some baby buffs, one rooster and 4 hens. We have decided that the rooster will be Mango, the hens will be Buffy, Sandy, Peaches, and Goldie.
jcomy
Spooner, WI

April 4, 2008
3:36 AM

Post #4754279

We initially was given a trio...Buff Orp Roo...Randy Dandy... he knew his role in life well. He was matched well with Hazel and Agnes.
Then we inherited 5 roos...that crowed at 4AM...I knew each little voice and threatened them every day ... the oldest one (RIR x) was going to be ChesterFried, The Jersey Giant with the hoarse crow became "Frickasee" (and he really did), the little grey speckled roo with the screechy crow was Noodle Soup (Likewise he was successful), The brownish speckled one never completed a cockadoodledoo...so he was Taco ...and he really was a very good taco! The final little guy was WingDing...he didn't crow yet...just a quiet little er...and so he lived to become a hormonal teenager with 3 little pullets of his own...changed his name to Horace (after a skirtchasing relative) and his ladies: Sadie, Sukie and Suzie. Chester-Fried was too pretty to do in so he got his ladies too...Cassie, Carrie, and Clara.
Randy inherited a third hen by the name of Martha. Then we got Elmer and Ella and Trina. By then the numbers began to overwhelm me especially when you get 50 at the same time and they all look alike! I had to fall back on my girlfriend's naming method...All other chickens are Charlies... We have Fried Charlie, creamed Charlie, Baked Charlie etc. I think it is more fun to get a couple at a time and name them special. ;-)
Jeri of Sandbox Farm, Wisconsin
GothicGarden
Phoenix, AZ

April 4, 2008
4:15 AM

Post #4754551

Well, we've had various names (the new babies are yet to be named...gotta make sure they survive chickie-hood!)...here are some of my favorites:

Flora
Fauna
Merryweather (those were 3 araucanas)

Big Mama (she was our last Light Brahma)

Hester Sue
Jamaima (those were 2 australorps)

Laura
Mary
Carrie
Nellie
Caroline (those were assorted hens)

We haven't done Disney princesses yet, so I have a feeling some of the new girls will be named after them...
~Kim
knslwilliams
Clarksburg, MO

April 4, 2008
4:34 AM

Post #4754645

Well we have Bert the Silver Laced Wyandotte Roo. Now we need an Ernie. The hens are called the "gals" collectively. The geese were Thelma and Lousie but came to be more affectionately and correctly named Thelma and Louie. Our parakeets are Bonnie and Clyde. Also the 2 geese prior to Thelma and Louie were Aflac and Honker.

We have also had ducks named chicken and sock (never let the 2 years olds name the animals) LOL

Love all of your names.

Sheila

smedgekles
Conroe, TX

April 4, 2008
12:59 PM

Post #4755553

Jcomy,
like those rooster names. When we had 3 roos that were going to become dinner my kids called them Dinner #1, Dinner #2 and Dinner #3. They were hoping that would get them used to the idea of them becoming dinner. Didn't happen though, the roosters are in the freezer but they say that they won't eat any.

My brother always named his with food names. Like chicken nugget, broiler, etc.
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

April 4, 2008
3:10 PM

Post #4756144

Mean Queen Nadine?? mmmm.. I was trying to see if that had a nice ring to my first name which is Nadine!.mm...nah...
Blue Jersey Giant roo--Pretty Boy Blue..decided to add blue to his name at a later date..lol..

tamatik
rosswood, BC

April 4, 2008
11:18 PM

Post #4758330

well..there was Pete and Repete.and there was ,Useless
(she never ever did lay an egg..and no she was a she) Cookie..(she would steal my cookies.

popeye (he had one eye) and millie (mille fluers..) Barney and betty.all chickens...
Bob the muscovie,...(he would bob his head up and down to great you)
folks came from town to "converse" with Bob..he was the official greeter. Should have named him Walmart..
then there was Buttons the dancing goat, he was always butting you while on his hind legs.Just hold out your hand and he would stand up and head butt your hand.. I,m sorry to whomever received him after our dispersal. I,m sure my name has been taken in vain a few times for teaching him that
WigglyPaw
Hastings, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2008
2:06 AM

Post #4903181

hello
and happy spring. we have aleady had our first deep spring killing frost.
tonight we are having howling winds with driving rain, but that is ok, becaues
we have been without rain for a month. oy

New in the Nursery of La Petite Trianon des Poulet

10 Pekin ducks, getting very big, very fast! should be super good eating
very soon! yum yum!
10 Gold Orpingtons- I plan on naming these collectively. "Gold Diggers"

25 broiler x's. no names, just feel their bony legs to see if they are fat
enough to go into the oven like hansel und gretl.
4 broadbreasted white turkeys. I cant tell them apart from the broiler x-s
yet! but i am sure they will come into a growing spurt, right into our
freezer!

These guys are all in the screened off portion of the chicken house,
and when the good weather comes, and the babies can go out,
i will put out the buffs, but not the others. i fully intend to grow them
up and out and fast and butcher. no more ms.nice girl.

the killer,
sheri
myrrh
San Bruno, CA

June 10, 2008
6:28 PM

Post #5083268

I love good chicken names.
My three pullets are named as follows:

Soup is a Blue Andalusian
Salad is an Americauna
Sandwich is a Black Jersey Giant.

They are all for eggs, but it always amusing to see who laughs hysterically, and who gives me a horrified look when I descide their names.

Myrrh
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

June 10, 2008
8:23 PM

Post #5083762

i LUV it...
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2008
4:17 AM

Post #5085894

Ok, I have had the best time reading the chicken names. I thought I was the only one who named their fowl.
Peacock Nicholas(Russia last czar)
peahen Anastasia(Russian czars daughter)
Banties
roo- henry
hens
constance Americana
Penny Mutt
Tina blue silkie(Tina Turner)
Assorted big stock
ms sally- white cochin
Michel
chicken
Dumplin (you can guess these 2 fate)
Katherine(as in Hepburn)
Chip
Ronald
Nancy(as in Reagan both naked necks)
Little Ginny
Runt
Step and a half(she has a leg problem)
Lacy
More to be named
Goats(pygmy)
Izzy - nanny
Lil carol baby
Billi- daddy
Now I have some new names to ponder.
Geo
Catscan
Lodi
United States

June 11, 2008
4:27 AM

Post #5085924

Uh oh! I need to get on with the names---I did however look at one of my 3 week old Jersey Giants this afternoon and suddenly realized she was "Agnes". I don't know why--chicken telepathy?
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

June 11, 2008
10:53 AM

Post #5086369

Well, I don't usually name my hens as I have too many. I do, however, name my roosters as I only will be keeping 2 from this years group of babies. Bruno and Clyde have to go in the fall so I can have babies in the spring. Rocky, of course, stays until he dies of old age.

GG
WigglyPaw
Hastings, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2008
2:57 PM

Post #5142227

we have a bob white living at the farm now.
"bob white" bob white...

a pekin duck has layed a bunch of eggs by the
fountain pond, and as I had been cleaning it out, I emptied it
and all of a sudden she whirred and jumped out from a
globe arborvitae she has nested in underneath. so, the
fountain will remain uncleaned till she is done. I love when
the ducks hatch out a bunch of ducklings. OMG they are the
cutest things on the farm.

our Buff Orpingtons are a scrappy healthy bunch. they don't grow
very big or fast, but they hold in a group and are sweet. I am expecting
big eggs from them!

Mr. Bocker our rooster is still here, and will always be, this is his farm, his
flock. He is such a good rooster. Sweet, and considerate of all the girls.
I love when I throw some goodie out or if he finds a nest of ants he will
call the girls over to enjoy the bounties. He makes a funny cluck cluck
noise that everyone (including me) recognizes, "food food food".
It could be the littlest bebble, but the girls run over anyway. You can see
their disgust sometimes when all they find is a grass seed. He better
watch out and not call Wolf too many times!

I made strawberry shortcakes last night and threw out the toppers to
the chickens. They scarfed it up so fast their beaks were smokin!

sheri
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2008
5:47 AM

Post #5145558

oh, yes they really go after those when i toss out the scrap bucket!

tf
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

July 5, 2008
7:28 PM

Post #5208452

Just bumping this up so we can see some of the chicken names we have posted already.

GG
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

July 6, 2008
5:30 AM

Post #5210915

Esther Williams was our Swimming chick. She was bailed out of the pond many times. one night she disappeared, likely heard about the lake and packed her things to pursue her destiny...
1AnjL
(AnjL) Fremont, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 24, 2008
4:12 AM

Post #5310682

love the names here!!
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 24, 2008
6:18 AM

Post #5310893

yer they are pretty intresting imaginations in this thread
swiss0202
Hilton, NY

July 25, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #5315124

i love all the chicken names but i think i can take the cake with the name of my chicken farm , brace yourselves " Mother Cluckin Good "
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #5315272

LOL i like
1AnjL
(AnjL) Fremont, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 25, 2008
3:24 AM

Post #5316021

tee hee! I just may use a spin on that one... Mother Clucking Chicken house? lolol!
peepsqueak
Adairsville, GA

July 25, 2008
9:07 PM

Post #5319210

my 4 bronze turkeys are called mary, the4 feather foots are tina, the banty rooster is King Pepe and the others are winter meals
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2008
6:18 AM

Post #5321379

we have some new names... Four PBr roos, Peaches, Moose, EggMan, and EggNog...

we will soon need duck names...
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 26, 2008
7:57 AM

Post #5321475

captain beak??
Catscan
Lodi
United States

July 26, 2008
7:58 AM

Post #5321477

Josh, you're back!
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 26, 2008
8:04 AM

Post #5321481

yep i have only been gone for 2 days:) am i in trouble
Catscan
Lodi
United States

July 26, 2008
8:08 AM

Post #5321485

Of course you are! We have all become unruly and troublesome in your absence. The Chicken Fairy went AWOL and Edmund found out about Patchouli and the Green Basilisk. Don't do it again.

This message was edited Jul 26, 2008 4:10 AM
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 26, 2008
8:10 AM

Post #5321487

ok how many of u guys did she get
grownut
Clarkson, KY

July 26, 2008
4:22 PM

Post #5322735

Just came to the thread, but we do have named chickens, goats and cow.
Pecky, Pecktoria(the queen of the flock), Peckabeth(the wannabe),Peckrid and Peckmar(they were German),Pecksniff the rooster (a supercilious fool later known as Dumplin's) Pecque˝a(the runt). The flock got too big after that to continue the theme... The goats are Lollipop, Pollyanna, Mollycoddled, Winter Holly Bough (courtesy of my daughter). The cow just had to be Moothilda.

We never can quite keep up the themes we start but somehow I can't help myself starting new ones for every new critter crop. Dumplin's has become the traditional name for any chicken whose behavior is "UNsatisfactory."

Ducks at our house would end up Diddles, Doddles, Dudley, and Dr Doolittle for starters. My backseat driver daughter suggests Drakey. Danika, Donna, Do˝a Dewdew
but never ever, no matter how low I stoop, would I use Donald. (possibly because I'm guilty of worse so often...)

This message was edited Jul 26, 2008 10:28 AM
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2008
4:29 PM

Post #5322757

that is to funny, I love them names.
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 26, 2008
11:09 PM

Post #5324395

wow u put us to shame
grownut
Clarkson, KY

July 27, 2008
5:57 PM

Post #5327840

Thanx to both of you. Truth is I wake up in the middle of the night with this stuff and am gladder than glad that Somebody else out there gets into naming things. Last night 2am I remembered Peckiko(the Japanese exchange chicken) and rattled off Delilah, Deiter, Donna, Delicious, Don Quaxote. Then rolled over in shame and slept for a few more hours. OOps. Little white men with a pretty summer white straight-jacket with my name all over it... Come to think of it there was also RePecka (Pecka for short). That all ended the day we got 12 more black sex-link hens and you could never look at one chicken long enough to ID her.
1AnjL
(AnjL) Fremont, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 27, 2008
9:17 PM

Post #5328653

oooh how 'bout Pecky?lol!
Catscan
Lodi
United States

July 27, 2008
9:28 PM

Post #5328701

The Welsummer rooster (presumably) tf got from me is "Pecky", short for Peccorino. I hope she finds him a nice girlfriend or two.

My Jersey Giants are Trenton and Newark. The Aussies are Perth, Adelaide, Victoria, Melbourne and Sydney. I may need more Aussie names...tf's Aussies are VERY sweet birds.

Like Grownut I spend a lot of energy coming up with the names--but I am not always too consistant about keeping them--sometimes they just don't suit the animal's character.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

July 28, 2008
1:00 AM

Post #5329746

I can never quite keep it up myself. My problem is I can't help starting what I know I can"t finish. Y'ever try to think of 19 good goat names that rhyme with 'olly'

By the bye, Outback sounds very masculine if it's not too 'steak-y'
Catscan
Lodi
United States

July 28, 2008
1:22 AM

Post #5329853

Yes, I could call an Aussie roo "Outback"--although it would really be a perfect name for my Delaware because that is where she is laying her eggs and I can't find them. Errrgh!
grownut
Clarkson, KY

July 28, 2008
5:28 AM

Post #5330671

Ha! I'd be tempted but afraid to encourage her! Birds can be amazingly perceptive...
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

August 3, 2008
5:23 AM

Post #5361235

catscan u r funny i think outback would fit your delaware by the sounds of it
1AnjL
(AnjL) Fremont, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2008
5:28 AM

Post #5361243

well, I think I decided on ONE name for sure...
one of my RIR's has a lil black dot on the outside edge of each of her eyes...so I've been calling her Dottie! other than these dots, I cant tell the two RIR's apart!
and if someone comes on here and says those dots mean she is a he... I think I'll scream! lol!
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

August 3, 2008
5:29 AM

Post #5361250

i like the sound of that name it has a nice ring to it

josh
1AnjL
(AnjL) Fremont, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2008
5:30 AM

Post #5361253

lol, should I call the other one 'Undot' or NoDot lol!
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

August 3, 2008
5:32 AM

Post #5361257

Hmmm i dont know thats a hard one
1AnjL
(AnjL) Fremont, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2008
5:34 AM

Post #5361265

well DS wanted to call her tweeters...dont know how much longer she'll be tweetin tho! lol! they are getting BIG fast! lol!
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

August 3, 2008
5:36 AM

Post #5361270

well i named on of the chooks cluck today cause she wouldnt stop it all day it was driving me crazy
grownut
Clarkson, KY

August 3, 2008
5:39 AM

Post #5361285

Dotless. and Dotful.
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

August 3, 2008
5:40 AM

Post #5361286

LMAO
1AnjL
(AnjL) Fremont, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2008
5:42 AM

Post #5361291

hey! I like it! dotless! lolol!
grownut
Clarkson, KY

August 3, 2008
5:47 AM

Post #5361308

I was a little afraid to post that one. Glad you like!
'Course fear didn't stop me but...
1AnjL
(AnjL) Fremont, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2008
5:54 AM

Post #5361321

lol, well much better than undot!
last time I let kids name an animal...kitty got stuck with name of AngelDust! lol! "Dusty" now!
grownut
Clarkson, KY

August 3, 2008
1:42 PM

Post #5361978

OUCH...

I probably should have warned you guys not to encourage my punny side and now it's too late.oh my.
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

August 5, 2008
5:56 AM

Post #5370525

LOL
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2008
3:02 PM

Post #5376707

This has been a long thread, and gone on for a while!
Looks like we all love to name our as- Josh- calls them-
'chooks'.
I had (before the fox) Elvis- a cochin hen, but had great
'blue shoes'
black cochin hen: Loretta Lynn
other cochins: roo's- Longwattles, Charles Lindbird and
Splash Gordon
Ameraucanas: hens, Goldie Hawn, Rio, Delta Dawn,
Double Dare (she laid double yolkers- fox got her too!)
Crested polish hens: Tina Turner, Betty White, Marilyn
Monroe
1AnjL
(AnjL) Fremont, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 6, 2008
11:25 PM

Post #5378635

lol, I was thinking of "Marilyn Monroe" for my dotted-eyed gal (at least I hope she's a she!)
Lazy_Ladies
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2008
3:15 AM

Post #5379771

Delaware with an attitude - Dinney (as in Dinner, if she doesn't shape up!)
Silver Laced Cochin - Lacey
Red Spotted Sussex - Talula
Catscan
Lodi
United States

August 7, 2008
3:17 AM

Post #5379789

Marilyn Manson if not? No, that is too icky!

I love Tulula!
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

August 7, 2008
5:50 AM

Post #5380284

Truest dont u call them chooks over thre
1AnjL
(AnjL) Fremont, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2008
5:51 AM

Post #5380288

whats a chook?
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

August 7, 2008
5:52 AM

Post #5380289

Aussie slang for a chicken
every one over here calls them that
1AnjL
(AnjL) Fremont, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2008
6:00 AM

Post #5380300

ahhh... I thought it meant dinner :o) lol
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

August 7, 2008
6:04 AM

Post #5380307

LOL
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 8, 2008
11:43 AM

Post #5385322

Yep, I concur with luckycharm. They're chooks.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

August 8, 2008
1:45 PM

Post #5385837

Gesundheit!

Actually we've just gotten a cartoon called "Chop Socky Chooks" World-saving Chinese ninja chickens- Don't tell me that's out of Australia too;) Kinda fun to say, actually.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 8, 2008
3:13 PM

Post #5386159

I sincerely hope it's not from Australia.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

August 8, 2008
3:23 PM

Post #5386209

Gee, I would've been a bit relieved to hear that it was from Australia. Funny how perspectives can be so different depending on what you don't want responsibility for...
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 8, 2008
3:25 PM

Post #5386220

That's so funny; and so right.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America