Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: Vine ripen or on the window ledge?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 5, Views: 75
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lexiekinz
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 1, 2007
9:10 PM

Post #3452884

Hi Everyone,

I was at my SNL's house last Sunday for supper and her daughter said she's been eating tomatoes out of her garden already. Well, I had to ask ... Hey! You've gotten ripe tomatoes already? She said she's ripening them on her window ledge. I'm not in that kind of hurry to have my tomatoes before their time, but it made me ponder how I've read that regular harvesting encourages more production in some plants and now I'm wondering should I be picking some of my green tomatoes for that reason? And aren't the fruit better if ripened on the vine?

Thank You and Kind Regards!

Lexie

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2007
1:00 PM

Post #3455133

Post your question in the Tomato Forum...
lexiekinz
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2007
5:36 PM

Post #3456192

TY Gymgirl. I'm guessing you mean the tomato forum that's not accessable to free memebers? *sigh*

Thanks Again!

Lexie

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2007
11:56 AM

Post #3458903

[quote] I was wondering should I be picking some of my green tomatoes for that reason? And aren't the fruit better if ripened on the vine?[/quote]

Lexie, Dr. C, our resident expert on all things tomatoes sends this reply for you below.

ABSOLUTELY NOT Lexie for your first question b'c it doesn 't work that way with tomatoes, as it does with peppers, cukes and some others.

And yes, it's better if fruits are ripened on the vine b'c more of the taste components can be included in the maturing fruits. At least half ripe before removing them to ripen elsewhere b'c some folks say they have just too many critter problems and have to harvest early.

Carolyn

Hopes this helps you!
Linda
lexiekinz
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2007
3:29 PM

Post #3459485

It does very much so Linda. Thank you and thanks to Dr. C too. I can hardly stop watching my little garden and my husband teases me a bit... but I think I noticed a tomato with a little blush coming on. Yippy!

Thank you again. The folks here are so helpful and it's just plain fun here too.

Lexie

NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2007
7:48 AM

Post #3464863

Hey lexie,
My hubby has teased me about growing all my "weeds" for years too. But, I don't see him backing up from the table when I serve all those wonderful fresh-from-the-garden veggies! LOL. When you start putting those fresh tomatoes on the table, it will be your turn to tease hubby! Good luck with your garden and keep us posted on the progress.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America